• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

Just had a 25 book modern pre-screen get checked in today and go straight to g/e/i. I ran errands all day and just checked and it was marked as shipped for 10/11. I still have 4/7 stuff sitting at CCS in process and many other prescreens sitting in g/e/i from as old as late july. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I was also charged today as well, so it is going out the door.

10/8/21

PRESCREEN - MODERN

Shipped

10/11/21

On 10/8/2021 at 2:24 PM, skybolt said:

Moving forward, I can see CGC changing their TAT's for slow track modern submissions as follows:

Submissions received after August 15th - 40 business Days.

Submissions received prior to August 15th - Infinity and Beyond.

Step outside get real high

scream at the top of my lungs.

What's goin on ???

in this "institution!" 25 years of my life is still :insane: 

It's frustrating a bit having 5 25 book modern submissions sent 4/18, 5/1, 5/15, 6/1, and 6/15 all untouched (GEI for 8 days on 4/18) but a modern FT that I had just so I could possibly have some books for a show in late October (that's what these books were for) has shipped which charged for all of those other submissions.  So I have 8 books out of 133 and $2,200 charge on my card and likely won't get anymore before the show.  It is what it is but I just wish they would try this faster grading process with books they already have :P But happy for the others that are getting their books back and at least blessed that I got the 8 fast track back (literally sent less than a month ago).  

On 10/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Step outside get real high

scream at the top of my lungs.

What's goin on ???

in this "institution!" 25 years of my life is still :insane: 

My gut tells me that all the books that arrived at CGC after the price change in late April are all sitting on top of each other in one gigantic room, while the less cluttered room has all the recent submissions. CGC graders are likely avoiding Room A like the plague at this point. 

Edited by skybolt

On 10/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, carcrawfordfan said:

Just had a 25 book modern pre-screen get checked in today and go straight to g/e/i. I ran errands all day and just checked and it was marked as shipped for 10/11. I still have 4/7 stuff sitting at CCS in process and many other prescreens sitting in g/e/i from as old as late july. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I was also charged today as well, so it is going out the door.

10/8/21

PRESCREEN - MODERN

Shipped

10/11/21

That is awesome...new process testing probably as well as a bit of luck...gotta switch things up from time to time in all aspects of business...

On 10/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, skybolt said:

My gut tells me that all the books that arrived at CGC after the price change in late April are all sitting on top of each other in one gigantic room, while the less cluttered room has all the recent submissions. CGC graders are likely avoiding Room A like the plague at this point. 

There is some logic to it I guess.  They are making less money per book on books shipped in under the old rates, and it does seem that the industry is moving toward paying more to get your books back in a timely manner.  I still content that they really screwed up by announcing the rate increase thereby creating this massive backlog (on top of a backlog that was already there).  They should have just raised the rates with no advance warning.  Would have prevented the massive submission boom, and possibly would have even slowed down submissions.

Reading the posts and comments on the last three pages of this topic (941-943) is making me angry/disgusted/betrayed/etc.. Not at the paying members that were granted that lovely surprise of immediate grading of your order!! Congrats! Truly. I’m happy for you. :cloud9: Please let us know if anything is different about those orders when you receive them.  

Surely not angry at the paying saps, like me, that aren’t getting their books back through some new receive/grade/encapsulate/hand-it-out the-window-to-the-speeding-courier process that bypasses all of our submissions from April…May…June…July and August that we have paid thousands of dollars to get graded and are sitting there waiting for their turn.:taptaptap:

I’m angry at the company we entrusted our valuables to, while agreeing to all their disclaimers regarding absolution for delays, subjective grading, pressing mistakes, encapsulation mutilation, lost packages, and stray bits of “stuff” in our slabs. :takeit:

What do we get for our loyalty? A press release or a nice email saying we know some of you have orders still waiting to be fulfilled, but please stick with us, things are getting better?..,No. An uncharged extension of our annual membership for the six to eight months it’s taking for some orders to get fulfilled?…No. A hint at any positive reason why we shouldn’t be livid for how they are playing us all?…No. :censored:

On 10/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, Petroman said:

There is some logic to it I guess.  They are making less money per book on books shipped in under the old rates, and it does seem that the industry is moving toward paying more to get your books back in a timely manner.  I still content that they really screwed up by announcing the rate increase thereby creating this massive backlog (on top of a backlog that was already there).  They should have just raised the rates with no advance warning.  Would have prevented the massive submission boom, and possibly would have even slowed down submissions.

The thing is that slow track grading only went up from $20 to $22 for modern books. It's not like they're making twice as much now. Plus, I was billed the first day my June submissions were marked as received. 

One question I have for the people that are receiving expedited grading (again, good for you). Do you have other books still stuck in the pipe line? If so, I get the feeling CGC is using this new "policy" to appease customers who are stuck in limbo with their earlier submissions. Grading the newly opened packages is likely a much easier task than going through the tens of thousands of submissions opened back in June to find books of return customers. 

With that being said, I really don't understand what would constitute the expedited grading for some submissions. It's not like CGC all of a sudden developed an automated system to bypass the existing grading methodology. For instance, once books reach the grading room, they'll all be graded the same way, which shouldn't take too long if they're next in the pipeline. Same goes for encapsulation and imaging.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, skybolt said:

The thing is that slow track grading only went up from $20 to $22 for modern books. It's not like they're making twice as much now.

Agreed, it doesn't seem like a lot.  But 10% extra on a submission of 25 Modern books is still $50.  Not sure what their profit margin is on Modern Slow tier, but an extra $50 on a 25 book submission is likely not immaterial.  And when you look at the Fast Track stuff I think it went from $8/book to $15/book.  So that would end up being an extra $9/book total which is well over $200 for a 25 book submission.  

I'm not saying any of this is right.  I do think the direction of comic book grading is that the cost will go up (or even has gone up) quite a bit to get your books graded in a reasonable time frame.  If you don't want to pay it, then you're likely looking at 6 months to a year to get your books back.  Personally, I'm still trying to figure out which way I want to go.  Fast Tracking to sell quicker and possibly make less profit, or Slow Tracking and have less books to sell in the near term but eventually sell for a higher profit (assuming prices don't crater).  I'm leaning toward the Fast Track route...

On 10/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, Petroman said:

Agreed, it doesn't seem like a lot.  But 10% extra on a submission of 25 Modern books is still $50.  Not sure what their profit margin is on Modern Slow tier, but an extra $50 on a 25 book submission is likely not immaterial.  And when you look at the Fast Track stuff I think it went from $8/book to $15/book.  So that would end up being an extra $9/book total which is well over $200 for a 25 book submission.  

I'm not saying any of this is right.  I do think the direction of comic book grading is that the cost will go up (or even has gone up) quite a bit to get your books graded in a reasonable time frame.  If you don't want to pay it, then you're likely looking at 6 months to a year to get your books back.  Personally, I'm still trying to figure out which way I want to go.  Fast Tracking to sell quicker and possibly make less profit, or Slow Tracking and have less books to sell in the near term but eventually sell for a higher profit (assuming prices don't crater).  I'm leaning toward the Fast Track route...

If CGC wanted to go this route, they should've just raised their prices and not given people a chance to get their submissions in before the price hike. However, they likely wanted to boost their inventory.

In any case, I wish they would update their turnaround times for modern slow track (currently listed at 106 business days). I'm at 111 days right now and still at SFG, while others are sitting at over 120 days.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, skybolt said:

The thing is that slow track grading only went up from $20 to $22 for modern books. It's not like they're making twice as much now. Plus, I was billed the first day my June submissions were marked as received. 

One question I have for the people that are receiving expedited grading (again, good for you). Do you have other books still stuck in the pipe line? If so, I get the feeling CGC is using this new "policy" to appease customers who are stuck in limbo with their earlier submissions. Grading the newly opened packages is likely a much easier task than going through the tens of thousands of submissions opened back in June to find books of return customers. 

With that being said, I really don't understand what would constitute the expedited grading for some submissions. It's not like CGC all of a sudden developed an automated system to bypass the existing grading methodology. For instance, once books reach the grading room, they'll all be graded the same way, which shouldn't take too long if they're next in the pipeline. Same goes for encapsulation and imaging.

I basically received expedited service on 3 shipments (30) books.  But, I still have another 150 that haven’t moved (weekly shipments since May).  They also just charged me $2,700 for all of the ones stuck in limbo at the same time.  I had hoped that meant they were coming soon, but still in SFG.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, evmucollects said:

I basically received expedited service on 3 shipments (30) books.  But, I still have another 150 that haven’t moved (weekly shipments since May).  They also just charged me $2,700 for all of the ones stuck in limbo at the same time.  I had hoped that meant they were coming soon, but still in SFG.

Thank you for the input. I have 4 new submissions that will be received in the next week or 2. Let's see how that goes.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, evmucollects said:

They also just charged me $2,700 for all of the ones stuck in limbo at the same time.  I had hoped that meant they were coming soon, but still in SFG.

That's the real crime here.  You have paid a sizeable amount for a service that has yet to be rendered, and is unlikely to be rendered completely in the near future.  Sure, I can understand why they charge them all at once, but that doesn't make it right.  IMHO the time to put the charge through is when they have graded your book as are slapping the shipping label on them.

For fun, google "plastic shortage" and read horror stories of supply chain shortages and increases demand for plastic.  

The Feburary winter storm that shut down all of TX, all the way to Gulf, absolutely FUBARed the petro refineries that produce majority of raw plastic resin supplies for manufacturers. What I'm saying is, every industry from soda to car parts to anything involving plastic is backlogged and short what they need to make plastic parts. Pretty sure that's why CGC raised prices, not necessarily profits but keeping up with costs.   

Would not doubt it if CGC was sitting on graded books ready to slab, but was rationing the actual cases as supplies allowed :frown:

On 10/9/2021 at 2:22 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

For fun, google "plastic shortage" and read horror stories of supply chain shortages and increases demand for plastic.  

The Feburary winter storm that shut down all of TX, all the way to Gulf, absolutely FUBARed the petro refineries that produce majority of raw plastic resin supplies for manufacturers. What I'm saying is, every industry from soda to car parts to anything involving plastic is backlogged and short what they need to make plastic parts. Pretty sure that's why CGC raised prices, not necessarily profits but keeping up with costs.   

Would not doubt it if CGC was sitting on graded books ready to slab, but was rationing the actual cases as supplies allowed :frown:

:popcorn:

Edited by ChrispyC66
It’s just not how you treat loyalty