• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

Definitely. I have seen a lot of high volume dealers completely switch or cut back from submitting to CGC. I just have not seen them do anything lately other than raising prices and turnaround times getting worse. I don't know what it will take to right this ship. I am not sure if they just need to not take submissions for a few months to get caught up, postpone signature series events, etc. But I think most of us would agree they need to do something drastic.

The problem is there aren't really many options if you want to switch.  From everything I've read on the CBCS boards they are in even worse shape with TATs.  That only leaves PGX as far as I'm aware.  I've never submitted to them and I've seen some bad press on them in the past.  But still, if you're submitted relatively recent, limited edition books for grading, it may make sense to go with PGX.  Their fee's are lower and they advertise a 35 day TAT.  Heck, most new books (last 10 years or so) that are submitted anywhere expect a 9.6+ grade, so getting a 9.8+ PGX should be on par with a 9.6+ CGC/CGCS .  When it comes to older or key books, I definitely will stick to CGC as resale price seems to be quite a bit lower with PGX (and somewhat lower with CGCS, but the gap is narrowing).  In a perfect world I'd send everything to CGC and expect books back within a few months.  But at upwards of a year for MODERN SLOW its hard to justify.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, Petroman said:

The problem is there aren't really many options if you want to switch.  From everything I've read on the CBCS boards they are in even worse shape with TATs.  That only leaves PGX as far as I'm aware.  I've never submitted to them and I've seen some bad press on them in the past.  But still, if you're submitted relatively recent, limited edition books for grading, it may make sense to go with PGX.  Their fee's are lower and they advertise a 35 day TAT.  Heck, most new books (last 10 years or so) that are submitted anywhere expect a 9.6+ grade, so getting a 9.8+ PGX should be on par with a 9.6+ CGC/CGCS .  When it comes to older or key books, I definitely will stick to CGC as resale price seems to be quite a bit lower with PGX (and somewhat lower with CGCS, but the gap is narrowing).  In a perfect world I'd send everything to CGC and expect books back within a few months.  But at upwards of a year for MODERN SLOW its hard to justify.

You are right. The grass is not greener. I am just talking about how CGC can fix this . Temporarily I am just sending in everything as fast track. It is not ideal because it is an extra $15 a book. But I guess time is money.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I haven’t seen that before….it’s showing the date shipped as tomorrow.

They do that when it's usually after a point in the day where FedEx won't be able to pick it up due to volume.

Whenever they do it on a Saturday, the ship date always shows the Monday.

The one that I can't click, apparently, they haven't created the label for it yet although the other one for tomorrow has a link but that was done later.  I called CGC and they said the same and don't have a tracking for me yet. 

Modern Slow Track (50 Books)
Delivered 08/13/21
Received 09/23/21
Scheduled For Grading 09/23/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 01/28/22
Grading/QC
02/19/22
Shipped 02/22/22

Delivered 09/07/21
Received 10/07/21
Scheduled For Grading 10/07/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 02/02/22
Grading/QC
02/21/22
Shipped 02/23/22

Delivered 09/20/21
Received 10/19/21
Scheduled For Grading 10/19/21

Delivered 10/28/21
Received 11/01/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/01/21

Modern Slow Track (100 Books)
Delivered 11/18/21
Received 11/23/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/23/21

Delivered 01/24/22
Received 02/22/22
Scheduled For Grading 02/22/22

Delivered 02/10/22

Does anyone else dislike that the turn around times are listed in "working days"?  For example the books I sent in August 2021 for a simple reholdering, which is listed as 113 days.  If I do the math and assume no holidays (which there were holidays), then I divide 113 by 5 and times by 7 to get more than 158 days.  Adding in numerous holidays and the 113 days creeps way into the 160(s).

Also, I am assuming the "turn around" clock begins once they actually scan the package (maybe more than a month after it is received).  Please correct me if this is not the case.

This means the 113 day "turn around" time could easliy be closer to 200 days.

:pullhair:

I suppose this is just the "cost of doing business", however, it is definately a strong factor in why I don't submit a lot of books for grading.  I have a ton of books that I would like to grade, however, my impatient nature (and the sick feeling I get in my stomach whenever I hand my treasures over to the USPS, knowing I will not see them again for who knows how long), cause me to refrain from submitting (unless absolutely neccesary.

Am I alone in these feelings???  (shrug)

On 2/23/2022 at 8:24 PM, gadzukes said:

One of my Submissions just hit "Grading/Quality Control".  That means it close right?

It had been at Grading/Encapsulation/imaging for months.

Mine just switched to "Grading/QC" as well, Todd.

I am hoping that means they actually are getting "close" as you say, however, I am not sure.

I mean, I mailed the books in August for a reholder.  You wouldn't think it would take this long.

I know they hit my credit card the other day, so at least they have what they want out of the deal.  lol

On 2/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, Hudson said:

Does anyone else dislike that the turn around times are listed in "working days"?  For example the books I sent in August 2021 for a simple reholdering, which is listed as 113 days.  If I do the math and assume no holidays (which there were holidays), then I divide 113 by 5 and times by 7 to get more than 158 days.  Adding in numerous holidays and the 113 days creeps way into the 160(s).

Also, I am assuming the "turn around" clock begins once they actually scan the package (maybe more than a month after it is received).  Please correct me if this is not the case.

This means the 113 day "turn around" time could easliy be closer to 200 days.

:pullhair:

I suppose this is just the "cost of doing business", however, it is definately a strong factor in why I don't submit a lot of books for grading.  I have a ton of books that I would like to grade, however, my impatient nature (and the sick feeling I get in my stomach whenever I hand my treasures over to the USPS, knowing I will not see them again for who knows how long), cause me to refrain from submitting (unless absolutely neccesary.

Am I alone in these feelings???  (shrug)

Doesn't bother me.  I just figure around 22 business days a month and go from there.  The TAT's are such a rough estimate anyway, it's barely relevant. I'll get them when I get them.

Maybe I read incorrectly but with all these signings that CGC seems to advertise every other week I thought I saw that they had a 6 week TAT?? If this is correct the fact that they do these significantly has to effect the TAT's in general does it not? Why continue to do these if it does, I know $$$ but one would think if the signings were suspended until they some what caught up they could alleviate this backlog in turn getting more submissions out the door and more cash coming in? Or maybe I'm just dumb.(shrug)