• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, cd4ever said:

I will never get the 'people should only submit books I think are worthy' argument. You don't blame bad service on the fact that too many customers showed up.  That's ridiculous. 

100% agree. If the customer has the money to send it in then why not. However, I generally do not send in books where the value after grading is less than $125. But if a customer wants to spend $24 plus shipping to grade a $5 book then let them.

The only tiers that are getting worse are Modern and Economy.  The other tiers, including fast track Modern and fast track Economy aren't really any different than 2020, 2019, 2018 etc. down the line in history.   If your sending in low value books in the slow tiers than be prepared to wait.  If you don't like the option of paying up for fast track than be prepared to wait.  I'm surprised they make much of any profit on the Modern and Economy tiers for the amount of hours that are put into the orders.     

On 3/8/2022 at 8:56 PM, Topnotchman said:

The only tiers that are getting worse are Modern and Economy.  The other tiers, including fast track Modern and fast track Economy aren't really any different than 2020, 2019, 2018 etc. down the line in history.   If your sending in low value books in the slow tiers than be prepared to wait.  If you don't like the option of paying up for fast track than be prepared to wait.  I'm surprised they make much of any profit on the Modern and Economy tiers for the amount of hours that are put into the orders.     

On the plus side.. (not really for me as I do not submit cards) the TAT for cards was just announced as being cut in half per their email. 

Screenshot_20220307-163629_Email.thumb.jpg.8aa58ce57ccd8c021987106612bd3da1.jpg

Now if they could just do the same with comics, it would be a step in the right direction. 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, Topnotchman said:

That is certainly not true, prices have gone up on all tiers over that time frame including fast track options and deliveries were always good when quoted.  You were getting books back in 3-6 weeks and moderns faster….not 3-6 months and now closer to 7-9 months with magazines pushing a year…that is ridiculous.  There have been multiple price increases and poor     Results.  I am sure the people on these boards who have been around for a longer time remember that. If its a manpower issue and training, they need to step it up. Any business with these issues would either sink or swim in other markets. 

It seems to me that IF the TRT is long, but does not really change much as time moves forward, then that means they are able to process as much stuff per day as they get in.  If that is the case, then it would seem like a wise move to pay folks to work weekends or something to get the TRT down.  Once they were down, they should stay that way (since we already determined they can process approximately what they take in each day).  You would think this would increase the number of people willing to send books in.  I know I rarely send books in and the #1 reason is because of the TRT.  The only reason I can see for keeping long TRTs is 1) To make people think you are really popular and in high demand (which they should no have to prove at this point or 2) To get people to folk over more $$$$ to fast track things.  Make the normal wait so unbearble that people feel complelled to pay the extra money, just so tehy can get their books back in their own life times and not simply in time for their children to inherit them.  (shrug)

On 3/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, Petroman said:

This is the crux of it.  Its unlikely that the the submitter's expected grades have gotten that much looser as many have posted on this forum that they have seen lower grades.  Much more likely that the new graders at CGC are still learning the ropes and seem to err on the side of caution.  What this means for many people such as you (and myself) is that it may not be the best time to submit books that you are expecting 9.8's on as there is a much higher chance that you will see many 9.6's and 9.4's.  As you state, this makes the book both harder to sell and/or less desirable for your collection.  And if you do sell it, you will likely sell it at or close to cost.  I've effectively paused my submissions over the last 9 months in the hopes that TATs will decrease and that grading will normalize.  In the meantime I see many good opportunities to buy books graded 9.4 or 9.6 at very reasonable prices.

Yup. Their times are so slow right now that I'm even skipping SS events. It took 7 months to get back my Jim Lee SS. That's too long.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:12 AM, Kerdese said:

Yup. Their times are so slow right now that I'm even skipping SS events. It took 7 months to get back my Jim Lee SS. That's too long.

Apparently, Jim Lee writes very slowly. :facepalm:

On 3/9/2022 at 11:45 AM, Petroman said:

... is like someone going to Disney and being too cheap to pay for Fastpass but still feeling entitled to better service than all of the other slow pass customers.  Laughable.

and if Disney decided to just sell 150K tickets per day when the capacity was 75,000 so everyone in attendance was negatively impacted

On 3/9/2022 at 6:14 AM, irishcritic said:

I honestly cannot see the logic in blaming the customer for the shortcomings of the company. Furthermore it does seem quite elitist to say "people should only submit the books I deem as worthy". LOL I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but you are leaving out a very important point in your logic. The comic customer and comic community as a whole. People wouldn't be submitting Spawn 1 by the truckload if someone wasn't buying them. I see tons of lower grade modern books sale on a daily basis, and frankly from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. If I can submit 100 Spawn 1's and make $5-$20 after fees, shipping, etc why not? There is a far bigger market for a cheap graded modern book than an "acceptable" gold or silverage book. I know its a heck of alot easier to sell a cheap modern for a small profit than a $20,000 silverage Spiderman key. I'd never blame a customer for what they want. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect reasonable TAT, decent customer service, and exceptional QC of the "Leading industry grading company". Just my 2 cents.  

We can debate considering half of what you said I was never against or disagreed with so I didnt leave anything out as you said. I do not think it's elitist to think people loosing money and getting in the way of real books getting graded faster on their CGC submissions is very dumb on their part. Most of the influx of CGC submissions post covid weren't from "comic collectors," as they were fly by nighters trying to make some profit.  Sure some were, but a vast majority of them were rookie novices trying to cash in.  Now they are getting their modern books back finally and many are down which I love seeing as the market has cooled off since its covid run-up. 

We agree on everything you said about CGC except 2 areas.  TaT's when it comes to hiring new graders is not something they can fix without over paying by 100-500K per year per grader.  I can name 10 people right now that would be perfect to come in and grade for CGC, but they wouldn't do that unless you over paid them.  Why make less money and work more hours grading over people's books? Even with a great training program its very challenging to get people to want to do that monotonous job day in and day out, especially if they have no experience prior.  Can it be done? Sure, but being a professional comic book grader you need 10-20 years usually to master it, especially with all the different kind of defects and books.  If you are talking about post year 2000 books you can train entry level as they are easy to grade so that I can get behind with you on.  The other area is many people are blaming CGC for not being able to handle that influx of new books post covid which CGC wants because let's be honest they dont care if your Spawn #1 comes back 9.8 or 1.0 they still make the same profit margin. No company can predict their demand to increase 4-1 during the beginning of covid were CGC literally cleared all their backlog.  So they went from getting barely any submissions because the whole world was scarred to being bombarded with invoices at a record pace.  So everyone needs to sit back and see the whole picture.  I agree with you that CGC needs to do better with QC especially, and yeah I am really hoping this year with the expansion to the new facility, equipment, new hires, and the market cooling (Copper Modern at least) that things should get much better in the near future.    

Now when it comes to making a small profit again I agree with you (never was against that), but my point is people aren't submitting Spawn #1's and making $5-20 per sale.  They are losing that same amount per sale more often that not, especially if they are buying them for raw over-graded retail now.  Unless you only have $5-20 into the book how are you making money if you got CGC 8.5 after fees and expenses? You probably are not.  Times that by an entire invoice and you lost a good deal of money/time while everyone else in the process of those transactions made money.  So yes if a lot of people who fall into what I just smarten up and stopped submitting those types of books TaT's would automatically get better at CGC.  So yes I still think people are the #1 reason for high TaT's, CGC doesnt submit books to themselves lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 3/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, Petroman said:

Not just elitist.  Arrogant and pompous come to mind.  A few others too that I'll refrain from posting here.  Bottom line, if you want your books graded before everyone else's then pay up for faster tiers or move to the back of the line.  And while your at the back of the line, its best not to insult others around you.  This whole argument is like someone going to Disney and being too cheap to pay for Fastpass but still feeling entitled to better service than all of the other slow pass customers.  Laughable.

Mr Pomps here,

People are paying for faster service it's not that much faster right now so many are just waiting like myself, especially in the modern tier because most moderns are not that important to be graded to begin with.  Also that is terrible analogy.  The grading fees of those books have to obviously not cost more than the book is worth.  So you are saying people should use Walkthrough service on Spawn #1 to get a CGC 9.8 and lose money so they can get the book back faster? lol 

Many dealers are spending more money as a whole. Who should CGC grade their books first or faster? Should a Dealer (who spends 100K per year at CGC) or Little Jimmy (spends 1k) have their books graded faster in the same tier.  By your logic it should be that dealer right?

BTW Disney World blows, Universal is where its at because at least there you can buy "Universal Fastpass" and skip the lines the whole day.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 3/9/2022 at 2:39 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Mr Pomps here,

BTW Disney World blows, Universal is where its at because at least there you can buy "Universal Fastpass" and skip the lines the whole day.  

yea, but that pineapple drink :cloud9:

and the crystal palace buffet? C'mon man

Edited by Courageous Cat