• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,094 posts in this topic

I'm sure you're mistaken. Just like I'm mistaken that my SS book which was pressed before it was signed, signed, dropped off at CGC during the show, picked up from CGC in Florida, pressed again, hand carried back to CGC in Florida, and now sits in a 9.6 holder with a lower back cover left hand non-color breaking crease wasn't the fault of the CGC. I guess myself and two other collectors missed it and two pressings weren't strong enough to flatten it out.

I'm sure you're mistaken. Just like I'm mistaken that my SS book which was pressed before it was signed, signed, dropped off at CGC during the show, picked up from CGC in Florida, pressed again, hand carried back to CGC in Florida, and now sits in a 9.6 holder with a lower back cover left hand non-color breaking crease wasn't the fault of the CGC. I guess myself and two other collectors missed it and two pressings weren't strong enough to flatten it out.

I'm not mistaken. I'm pissed. :mad:

I did like the ability to phone in and receive the grades once the Grading Phase was done. But it would appear it will be dealers used to having pre-sales once this information is available that are going to be most affected by this change in the overall process.

How much time is it taking now between grading, encapsulation, and then final shipping? Are we talking about days or weeks between each phase?

I would say about two calendar weeks, or ten business days.

That doesn't sound too bad, though longer than it used to be in the 2007-2010 period. But I guess if you haven't Fast Tracked your books, and then find out there will be an additional 10 business days added to your final grades, it would cause more frustration.

Has CGC given any updates recently how its staff additions are coming along, and when it feels things may level out?

Has CGC given any updates recently how its staff additions are coming along, and when it feels things may level out?

I wouldn't expect any movement until Matt arrives in Sarasota and has time to settle in.

You're missing my point. Allowing people access to the grade prior to the grade being finalized has always been a bad idea - removing that option was a smart business move from CGC's side and should have been done years ago.

So when is the grade "finalized" and "final" and not subject to change? The way I read the following 2 sections together, a book is graded after the final grader examines it and, only then, it will head to be encapsulated. Further, being graded is a precursor to being marked "shipped/safe" according to the website.

After being examined by a restoration detection professional, the comic books are placed in barcoded mylar sleeves, and separated from their original invoice. This step is taken to ensure that graders do not know whose books they are grading, as a further guarantee of impartiality.

The book’s pages are then counted and any peculiarities or flaws that may affect a book’s grade are entered into the computer. Some examples of this would be “a tear on third page,” “a corner crease – does not break color,” “a ¼” inch spine split,” and so forth. When the grader examines the comic, he is not able to see a previously assigned grade, so as to not influence his own evaluation. After determining his own grade for the comic, he can then view the Grader Notes entered by a previous grader, and he may add to this commentary if he believes more remarks are in order.

Another restoration check is performed before assigning a grade. If all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade. If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made. The book is then forwarded to the Encapsulation Department for sealing.

Graded

Books have been graded and are currently going through the encapsulation process. This is when the appropriate holder size is selected and each book is carefully encased. Once this is complete, each comic will enter into the quality control process before it will be shipped.

The quality control process is when graded and encapsulated comics are re-examined by a grader to make certain that their labels are correct for both the grade and its accompanying descriptive information. He also inspects each comic for any major flaws on its holder.

Shipped/Safe

Comics have been inspected and approved in Quality Control, photographed in our imaging department if applicable and carefully packaged and shipped via your chosen method of delivery (or are being held for additional shipments). Grades are now available for viewing online, and the package is on its way back to you. Grades are available online once the books are marked with the status "Shipped".

It used to be that you could see your grades once a book was marked graded. The way I read the above, nothing should change from when something is marked "Graded" b/c the books have been graded and are headed to be slabbed.

This is just another example of decreasing any transparency. Did they do it b/c it was a hassle? B/c they are training new graders? B/c they were worried about showing when damage happened? Who knows. There's no information coming out of Sarasota and it's just another in a long line of "changes" about which no CGC rep speaks or answers questions.

I'm just now getting a chance to look at my books in hand tonight and I finally see the problem.

There were two books I didn't get my suspected grades on.

One was this 9.2 and there was another 9.6 that I was expecting 9.8's on both.

Both have spine damage that was not there when I sent the books to CGC.

I suppose they could have been damaged in shipping, but I can't understand how two books were damaged and not the others because they were all together.

Another option is that they were damaged when I packaged them to send to CGC. The odds of this are slim as I know how to pack books and have never had a problem before. I can't be convinced that this was the case. I really can't.

Whatever happened, on just these two books it cost me $400 and I'm not happy about it at all.

I know what I sent and what I'm holding in these slabs isn't what I sent. :censored: