• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest let-down in comics?

72 posts in this topic

Not talking about an ending you didn't like, or a story twist that didn't make sense... something far more sinister than that...

You know when you're really enjoying how a title is going, and you finish a spectacular issue? And then you grab the next issue in the series and it's a pile of steaming dung?

Maybe they changed artists, or had a fill-in writer, or maybe the creators just went nuts and changed the focus of the series... It's not so bad when the whole series is mediocre, but when a terrible issue follows a great one, it's like a kick in the nuts...

I wasn't born when Journey Into Mystery 90 came out. But I can still remember the first time I sat down with the Masterworks and started reading from 83-on. Each story seemed better than the last, and then I finish issue 89 and turn the page and almost threw up. That art is so bad compared to what Kirby did in the previous issue I wanted to chuck the whole idea of finishing out collecting the run.

So what are your picks? Remember the disparity is the key here. It's not like anyone was surprised when issue 3 of Marville sucked. But it's something else entirely to follow a masterpiece with a piece of trash.

Considering how well Waid was doing on FF (that Doom storyline ruled), the "Heaven" storyline that followed was really bad. I don't know which issue it fell apart at, but somewhere around when the they battled the angels. Not my biggest let down, but the first one that popped into my head.

Considering how well Waid was doing on FF (that Doom storyline ruled), the "Heaven" storyline that followed was really bad. I don't know which issue it fell apart at, but somewhere around when the they battled the angels. Not my biggest let down, but the first one that popped into my head.

I dropped FF during that heaven storyline. It was pretty darn bad. (Plus the fact that Marvel released two? three? new FF titles one after the other ticked me off.)

A let-down for me was Batman in the mid-eighties. I'm a huge loyal Bat-fan but I remember a long string of lousy stories coming out one after the other. Doug Moench was the writer at the time and every month after reading Batman I'd think, "It can't get any worse."

It did.

Anyone remember Nocturna?

A couple leap to mind - the recent Waid FF run, FF 510 was spectacular, FF 511, the "Kirby is God" issue was just dreadful. Children's Crusade 2, which followed the awesome Gaiman first issue, was horrid.

No contest. That uber-hack Frank Robbins taking over for Sal Buscema in the Captain America-Nomad story. boo.gif

Yes! That is my pick.

While disappointed that Perez wasn't aboard for the full Korvac Saga, that is nothing compared to Robbins marring (to be polite) of the Englehart run.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I already touched on mone of mine: when Romita took over. The death of GG was momentous enough to keep my interest, but it was a let-down.

Recent Catwoman's. Birds of Prey, the Azarriello Batman after Hush are three recent examples. And Green Arrow too....stopped buying it. And New XMen with this recent creator set.

Gee. I get disappointed a lot!!

While not in the same context as the situation you present. The two dissapointments that came to my mind were sequels to popular mini-series.

Secret Wars I was a good read, SW II was trash.

Contest of Champions I was a fun read, CoC II was trash.

For me, it happened twice with MLJ. The first time was in July, 1942, when Top-Notch Comics became "Top-Notch Laugh" Comics, and instead of 6 awesome strips it went to "Pokey Oakey" and "Senior Siesta" in lieu of the Wizard and Kardak the Mystic.

Here's the covers of TN# 27 (All superhero) and TN #28

top_notch27_front.jpg

x76.jpg

The second time was Zip #35 to Zip #36 - more "funny" characters. Note the differences in covers:

Zip #35, March 1943

f366.jpg

Zip #36, April 1943...

zip36cv.jpg

Marvel division:

The conclusion to the Kree-Skrull War: The great Neal Adams followed by the ho-hum John Buscema. Lame deus ex machina ending.

DC division:

Even though I defend Frank Robbins around here, yeah, I have to admit it blew that he followed Kaluta on The Shadow.

A let-down for me was Batman in the mid-eighties. I'm a huge loyal Bat-fan but I remember a long string of lousy stories coming out one after the other. Doug Moench was the writer at the time and every month after reading Batman I'd think, "It can't get any worse."

It did.

Anyone remember Nocturna?

Unfortunately I do. And in contrast, the pre-Jason Todd issues edited by Giordano are some of my favorites of all time. Don Newton and Gene Colan were alternating on story arcs. Gerry Conway (who I normally had little use for) was at the top of his game.

Beginning around Detective 520 and Batman 350 it was pretty much a continuous downward spiral until Year One.

I haven't read the issues for 20 years, but I remember being VERY disappointed when Giffen left "The Omega Men" after only half a dozen issues. Giffen was very popular at the time after his LSH run, and Omega Men had been uber-hyped as his new series.

I should read those first six issues again. I wonder how they hold up. Actually, I should read his LSH run too. Heck, his JLA run is always fun...

[!@#%^&^], when am I going to finish this screenplay.

I haven't read the issues for 20 years, but I remember being VERY disappointed when Giffen left "The Omega Men" after only half a dozen issues. Giffen was very popular at the time after his LSH run, and Omega Men had been uber-hyped as his new series.

I should read those first six issues again. I wonder how they hold up. Actually, I should read his LSH run too. Heck, his JLA run is always fun...

[!@#%^&^], when am I going to finish this screenplay.

Hey! Over 600 posts, and I finally got censored!

I feel like I've accomplished something.