• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest let-down in comics?

72 posts in this topic

This was the biggest let-down for me:

code.jpg

As a fledgling pre-code horror fan I was lucky enough to be buying when the books were still pretty reasonable and plentiful. But I have to tell you it was (and still is) pretty shocking to see those pre-code horror titles that DID make it into the post-code days. Basically unrecognizable as the same title. They went from werewolves and zombies and ghouls and skeletons and demons and grotesque scenes to things like floating elevators, floating giant butlers (?) and doors! And for some reason, tons and tons of DOORS and TUNNELS. "What was behind the DOOR???" "The SECRET of the TUNNEL!!!!" Now I grant you that pre-code horror had its share of doors and tunnels, but usually there was something a nice ghould or a skeltal arm or some such to spice it up. Not so with the post-code.

Now I grant you that the SA has some great things and things I am re-discovering after many years. But seeing the mid-50's transition from pre to post code, if pre-code is your area of specialy, is a mind boggler.

A few...

Secret Wars II sleeping.gif

All that Marvel New Universe stuff sleeping.gif

Byrnes work on Wolverine series foreheadslap.gif

The last 15 issues of the Wolverine series and the restart back to #1 foreheadslap.gif

Byrne not returning as Uncanny X-Men artist (w/Terry Austin inks!) 893frustrated.gif

Jack Kirby hijacking Captain America in the mid-70s.

Gene Day leaving MOKF

The New Justice League-Steel,Vixen,Vibe,bag lady,et all

Ditkos run on ROM

Later Savage Swords

Deluxe losing the rights to THUNDERAGENTS and John Carbanaro publishing his drek.

Giffen and Sienkewics new style.

Thriller.

this may not be the biggest letdown but another example of lack of professionalism in the part of the creators.

Image Cliffhanger titles such as Danger Girl and Battlechasers.

J. Scott Campbell stopped pencilling Danger Girl and the title is in limbo now. Joe Madureira just disappeared without properly ending the story...

For me, off the top of my head, it was the pisspoor quality of the Marvel "animated" (and I use that term liberally) cartoon series when it launched in the late sixties.

Talk about a build up!

Talk about a let-down!

For me, off the top of my head, it was the pisspoor quality of the Marvel "animated" (and I use that term liberally) cartoon series when it launched in the late sixties.

Talk about a build up!

Talk about a let-down!

Which ones in particular? Always thought the early Spidey series was a bit corny...but Spidey and His Amazing Friends made up for it somewhat a little later on.

I mean the very first series, the Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Sub-Mariner ones....where there wasn't any real animation, just pans across the existing artwork in the books.

It made Clutch Cargo look like Toy Story.

(Does anyone out there remember Clutch Cargo?) confused-smiley-013.gif

I mean the very first series, the Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Sub-Mariner ones....where there wasn't any real animation, just pans across the existing artwork in the books.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifsorry.gif

You betcha..the world's stiffest animation with some funking lips.

Could be where Conan O'Brien got his idea for the fake lips on those photo interviews.

Well I didn't read the whole thread...But I would say for me..

It was a downer to find out.

When I started collecting again that they restarted some of the Marvel titles. sumo.gif

There's a famous interview with Stan from about '72 where he talks about the series and states how happy he was with the animation and how it was his idea to go with that approach so as to duplicate the comic book experience. This is Lee almost in a nutshell - "Aren't we great" (despite all evidence to the contrary) and "It was my idea"! Excelsior 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man, Clutch Cargo.. foreheadslap.gif did that ever shake a few brain cells loose.

I remember some of my earliest memories of watching T.V . as a 5 year old .. watching Clutch Cargo (in re-runs I assmue).

I was glued to my set when Space Angel came on ... also made by Cambria Studios..

Alex Toth who designed Space Ghost was Art Director..alot of talent back then to do what they did..with so little.

There I was 6 years old.. eating Quisp cereal watching Spaceships shoot across my screen....

I had not thought of these cartoons in years... especially Space Angel.

Was also neat to read about how both cartoons used the voice of Otis from the Andy Griffith Show.

Thnx for the memory wake up call...

Z