• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellboy 3 may become a reality
1 1

113 posts in this topic

Hellboy 3: Ron Perlman Offers Plot Details For A ‘Theatrical’ Finale

On the official Empire podcast, Perlman talked a few specific Hellboy 3 outlined by del Toro over a recent dinner table discussion the pair had – regarding how the film would examine the end of the world, as Hellboy is meant to bring about. In conversation, Perlman commented (again) on the uncompleted nature of the franchise as it stands:

“Holy :censored: , he’s the beast of the Apocalypse. He has to take down civilization. He has to. It’s non-negotiable. That’s the foundation for the story, and that’s why I think it would be a shame if we don’t do it.I really feel as though I’m done with the character. I don’t have a burning desire to put that mess on again. But Guillermo told me what the resolve of the trilogy would look like, in broad strokes, and it’s such an amazingly theatrical, cinematic idea, that I found it essential that we do it. We were designed to be a trilogy, with a beginning, a middle and an end. We’ve only done two-thirds, so I feel that we’re not really done until we finish it.”

“I’ll tell you this. The two twins: One would look like the mum and one would look like the dad. And one of them was going to be completely :censored: corrupt, the other one angelic. Which one was which? Only Guillermo would make the :censored: -up looking one be the angel. So then that adds to the saga.”

Hellboy 3 Will Probably Never Happen According To Ron Perlman

While promoting Season 2 of Amazon Prime's Hand of God, Ron Perlman—the actor that portrayed the red-skinned anti-superhero in director Guillermo del Toro's films—told Variety, Hellboy III "probably will never happen, though you never say never never."

Perlman isn't quite ready to concede defeat, but unless del Toro is willing to back off from a proposed budget north of $100 million, I just don't see Hellboy III getting a greenlight.

:cry:

Well, at least we get this.

The best projects are the personal ones, and for Mythbusters' Adam Savage, it gets no more personal than his love and appreciation for Mike Mignola's Hellboy.

An older article, but it demonstrates why Mignola won't invest his time too heavily in making his creations into movies.

For HELLBOY Creator Mike Mignola, the Real Horror Is Hollywood

“The more I see of the movie business, the less I understand about it,” says Mignola in this week’s episode of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “I have no idea what goes on with that stuff.”

The Hellboy comic got a huge boost when one of Hollywood’s top directors, Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth), adapted the series into a pair of big-budget films starring Ron Perlman. On those projects, Mignola was mostly shielded from the arcane wrangling required to shepherd a project through the studio system.

“Del Toro said, ‘I’m never going to have you in any of those meetings because you literally wouldn’t survive them,'” says Mignola.

He subsequently did attend such meetings, in the course of trying to adapt one of the illustrated novels he’s written in collaboration with author Christopher Golden, and saw firsthand the insanity of Hollywood, an experience that’s left him more determined than ever to focus his time and energy on comics.

“When we sell a book as a movie I kind of go, ‘Well, now it’s theirs and I hope they don’t do too horrible of a job with it, but they paid me so I’m going to take my money and go home and work on my comic,'” says Mignola.

Talk about the reality of movie-making, and how creators feel afterwards.

Wired: You’ve said that when you first told your wife you wanted to do a comic called 'Hellboy', she gave you a look like, “We’re always gonna live in a studio apartment, aren’t we?”

Mignola: That’s the look, that’s the one. [laughs] I still remember it. I guess I’d made some noise about starting my own comic. I’d been working for Marvel and DC for 10 years, had done a little bit of everything. At the time, other guys were creating their own books, and everybody was making a million dollars, and I think she thought I was going to go come up with Batman. And I’d drawn Batman, and I toyed with coming up with a Batman kind of thing, but the more I thought about it, the more I really wanted to draw just what I wanted to draw. And the only name I’d ever come up with was Hellboy. So when I came out and said, “Yeah, I’ve decided what I’m doing, I’m going to do Hellboy,” I think she was like, “Oh, that’s not ever going to be Batman.”

Little did she know.

:applause:

Guillermo del Toro talks Hellboy 3

Guillermo del Toro recently spoke to THR about PACIFIC RIM 2 as well as HELLBOY 3.

On why HELLBOY 3 will likely never happen:

"Hellboy 3 is a wish that will never be fulfilled cause the first two movies made really good profits on a market that doesn’t exist anymore. The reason there’s a Hellboy 2 is not because the studios were passionate about the first one, it’s because the numbers made sense. Hellboy 1 was such a huge, huge over-performer on Blu-ray and ancillary markets. It was one the first movies on Blu-ray, it has multiple editions, all the ancillary markets over performed everywhere. And the second one did good in all ancillary markets, which now do not exist. It’s very hard to convince a studio when you’ve lost that stream of revenue. Theatrically, they basically broke even or came to a place where it made sense to make a sequel. It’s very hard for them to think with that arm gone it would still make sense."

:(

Guillermo del Toro talks Hellboy 3

Guillermo del Toro recently spoke to THR about PACIFIC RIM 2 as well as HELLBOY 3.

On why HELLBOY 3 will likely never happen:

"Hellboy 3 is a wish that will never be fulfilled cause the first two movies made really good profits on a market that doesn’t exist anymore. The reason there’s a Hellboy 2 is not because the studios were passionate about the first one, it’s because the numbers made sense. Hellboy 1 was such a huge, huge over-performer on Blu-ray and ancillary markets. It was one the first movies on Blu-ray, it has multiple editions, all the ancillary markets over performed everywhere. And the second one did good in all ancillary markets, which now do not exist. It’s very hard to convince a studio when you’ve lost that stream of revenue. Theatrically, they basically broke even or came to a place where it made sense to make a sequel. It’s very hard for them to think with that arm gone it would still make sense."

:(

You would think that it would make a profit theatrically in this new age of comic book movies. Oh well. The comics are soooooo much better than the 2 movies and cramming the Hellboy mythos into movies does not do the source material justice anyways.

Why Hellboy 3 Is Probably Not Happening, According To Ron Perlman

Comic Con is also a place where filmmakers and actors can debut new footage/news. And while most of these announcements are exciting and happy, there is the occasional bad news. Case in point: Ron Perlman and the future of the Hellboy franchise.

Ron Perlman recently sat down for a roundtable interview with Screen Rant to publicize his upcoming collaboration with Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro- the animated movie Trollhunters. Eventually the conversation turned to Hellboy 3, where Perlman gave a concrete answer as to the status of the long awaited sequel:

"We don't talk about that anymore. Because he's busy, and I'm busy. Maybe one day he's going to call and say, 'Hey, let's do it.' But for right now? We're happy discovering new worlds to conquer."

FNFHellboyMakoma4.jpg

Guillermo Del Toro Promises Hellboy 3 Meetings

CeLNsEP.png

:o

In a tweet on Wednesday, the Hellboy director promised fans that he would meet with Ron Perlman (star of Hellboy) and Mike Mignola (creator of Hellboy comics), on one condition.

If one hundred thousand fans vote on his Hellboy Twitter poll, Del Toro says he will begin the process.

RIGHT HERE - CLICK HERE - HURRY

The poll he tweeted asks fans if they want to see Hellboy III happen. The funny thing is, there are only two options to choose from. You can either vote "Yes" or "Hell Yes".

:wishluck:

Just in case anyone was wondering if this is Guillermo del Toro's real account.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: Guillermo del Toro Teases 'Hellboy III' on Twitter

Although the original comic book incarnation of Mike Mignola's Hellboy is stuck in hell, his cinematic counterpart might be about to make a surprise comeback, with Guillermo del Toro suddenly teasing fans with the prospect of Hellboy III via his Twitter feed.

With no warning, del Toro asked his followers on Wednesday morning what they thought about a third Hellboy movie, offering two options: "Yes" and "Hell, yes." Resistance, it seems, is not an option. That was followed by a second tweet promising that if the poll received 100,000 votes in 24 hours, he would discuss the project with Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and Hellboy himself, Ron Perlman.

Just in case anyone was wondering if this is Guillermo del Toro's real account.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: Guillermo del Toro Teases 'Hellboy III' on Twitter

Although the original comic book incarnation of Mike Mignola's Hellboy is stuck in hell, his cinematic counterpart might be about to make a surprise comeback, with Guillermo del Toro suddenly teasing fans with the prospect of Hellboy III via his Twitter feed.

With no warning, del Toro asked his followers on Wednesday morning what they thought about a third Hellboy movie, offering two options: "Yes" and "Hell, yes." Resistance, it seems, is not an option. That was followed by a second tweet promising that if the poll received 100,000 votes in 24 hours, he would discuss the project with Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and Hellboy himself, Ron Perlman.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ron Perlman is going to hit 67 this year. You could tell in the first two he was challenged in some of the more physical scenes since he was in his mid-50s...add another decade, and Hellboy is going to need a walker. Plus, Perlman has lost some of his physical stature...I don't know, it's hard to imagine another actor portraying Hellboy since Perlman nailed it, but its also hard to imagine him doing it again too.