• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay...wow.

17 posts in this topic

I don't understand why this lot went for that much... confused.gif

HUGE 350 Comic McFarlane Spider-Man 1 Goldmine CGC 10.0

I understand that it's mainly two or three low feedback bidders on this auction, but there's even a forum member who bid this up over $2000! I see that the CGC 10.0 might bring in a couple buyers but these are the McFarlane Spidey's!! confused.gif What am I missing here?

so basically, all the other unslabbed copies were prescreened and failed to get 10s, right??

I don't really know, I'm just speculating. If you were a huge comic book dealer like NSC and wanted to maximize profit, isn't that something you would do? Probably submit them all, pre-screen for 9.8 and higher. I don't see them offering the book in any other grades, so it's pretty odd that they cherry picked a couple and got 10.0s on all of them. confused-smiley-013.gif I would not be surprised at all if those were indeed the books that failed the prescreen.

Hey...They are great investment books though:),

Eric

The last silver 10 went for $400.00...that leaves $2500.00 for the remaining 349 books...that comes to $7.17 per book.....I can buy that book every day of the week and twice on Sunday for $5.00 a pop in NM or better at any LCS...so great deal?....not so much....

Hey...They are great investment books though:),

Eric

.... 893frustrated.gif

If I had $2900, I am pretty sure I could find some safer investments with much better returns. Those books were probably all the ones that didn't make it through the prescreen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm pretty sure he was kidding. gossip.gif

I'd like to think that the buyer is going to do the collecting community a favor by keeping the CGC copy and throwing all the rest into a recycling bin... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The price was stupid, of course, but these books are not "worthless".

I know of a local dealer who has(had) case loads of this book. He takes them to shows and lays them out in piles on the table with a sticker price of $2 a pop. Since we have a $2 coin up here in Canucka, most people don't hesitate to throw down and pick up a copy. And who's doing the buying? Kids who probably only have $10 in their pocket, and are thrilled to get a "shiny" Spider-Man comic with a great cover image.

Sure this price was stupid, and this book has become an inside joke among collectors, but it's still a great and cheap way to bring people into the hobby. In spite of its over-abundance, and perhaps because of it, this book will always be popular.

I don't understand why this lot went for that much... confused.gif

HUGE 350 Comic McFarlane Spider-Man 1 Goldmine CGC 10.0

I understand that it's mainly two or three low feedback bidders on this auction, but there's even a forum member who bid this up over $2000! I see that the CGC 10.0 might bring in a couple buyers but these are the McFarlane Spidey's!! confused.gif What am I missing here?

Must be talkin' 'bout me. I knew the reserve price and was simply screwing with tslashabs. Notice that who was ever ahead of him, he quickly outbid them, at least until he rean out of money. 893frustrated.gif