• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AKIRA!

26 posts in this topic

Akira is a bout a post apocaliptic future. The action is set in Neo Tokyo years after WW3, the main character is Kaneda, a young delinquent who is the boss of a band of bikers. In some way, he enter in contact with the governement and the misterious Project Akira....

I'll say no more, read it, you will not be disappointed.

And man, the art.....what about Otomo art? Every single panel is a masterpiece.

Can anybody post the doulbe page splash at the end of issue 38?

LAst issue is valuable because of the low print run. Publishing was stopped around issue 33-34 and the last three-four issues took years to see the light.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to check this one out.

I would say it's a good thing you got the entire series 'cause Akira is like the comic book version of crack. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down and couldn't hardly wait 'till I got my hands on the next volume of the reprint book.

As far as the movie, I love it. Wish WB would consider doing some of it's superheroes in big budget, high-quality animated theatrical release like Akira, not that direct to video stuff.

But yeah, a lot of characters and plot lines that are carefully developed in the series are shoe-horned into a 2 hour movie = a bit confusing.

Saw the movie at a midnight show in late 89/early 90 in NYC. Just mind-blowing, going from the anime I knew (G-Force, Robotech, Voltron) to this cyberpunk masterpiece.

I always thought the movie was about achieving Nirvana. In the Buddhist sense. Lots of births and deaths and rebirths and then...a big white screen, the end of the body and the concerns of the physical world.

But, I haven't read the comic yet, so maybe I'm way off.

And...I think the Kanye video is about...becoming the Ultimate Kanye.