• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest DC Bronze Age Key to find in VF/NM or better

63 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info--it did look like Hook's style. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. For a minute I thought everyone's skill in Photoshop had improved... DiceX is improving though---nice footer graphic dude! thumbsup2.gif

If this off-topic bit was who would win a fight between Catwoman and Wonder Woman then I wouldn't be trying to get back on topic. insane.gif..so...

Young Love #69, an unnumbered giant, predates DC Special by just two months. It was DC's first 64-Page Giant and likely a prototype for DC Special.

Is this the DC Special your talking about because I thought there was another one?

DC_Special_1.jpg

Bill

To all of the DC afficionados out there, what do you think is the toughest DC Bronze Age key to find in VF/NM or better condition? My choice is GL #76, but HOS #92 would have to be considered as well due to the black cover. Any other opinions?

Most likely the scarcest book is not the most sought after book. In terms of rarity for a DC bronze age, it's probably a romance, funny animal, teenage or some such book. Phantom Stranger #1, GL 76, WH1, etc. are not even close to being scarce in ANY grade, just in HIGH GRADE. You want a scarce in ANY grade book? I submit:

yl69.jpg

Undeniably the scarcest 80 page giant. Blows away 100 Page #5, and Super DC Giant #17 and 21. If you think I say this as self serving reason, I don't even own a copy, and have pretty much given up on trying to find one. tongue.gif

I usually don't get the chance to brag but I think I've earned it in this case. At the SD con on Thursday I was lucky enough to find a VF copy of this book from a large dealer. He graded it at VF with a price of $75. I offered him $65 and he took it. I had never seen one before either. I have not yet even taken the book out of the bag to examine it but the VF looked about right at first glance. No real flaws other than general wear for a book of that grade. The same dealer had a few VF+ to NM 100-page YL and YR books that he priced higher and around $80-$130. I passed on those but found several VF+/NM- romance 100-pagers from other dealers for $30 - $50. One dealer had a slabbed 100-page romance book (can't remember which one) at 8.0 for $175. Yeah right. I would have given him $50 tops for the 8.0. -----Sid