• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collected westerns

23 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me a small list with collected western themed comics?

I collect mainly Hardcovers, but I noticed that the selection available for western comics is much too slim. Besides the Jonah Hex trades and the essentials I don't really know any other collected works of this kind.

I guess I'll buy softcovers if I need to, I have some works in this format (when there isn't a HC available). Any ideas?

Bonus point if it has some weird supernatural theme thrown in the middle

Weird-Western-Tales-15-12-700x336.jpg

PS: Expect a Pirates thread around this time next week!

I was going to suggest the recent JEREMIAH Omnibus vol 1 by Hermann put out this year by Dark Horse but it seems tough to find. It is a HC.

I believe there were some printing of Blueberry in English back in the '80's but those were softcovers.

Of course, Dark Horse is reprinting Roy Rogers in an Archives format but I don't believe that's what you're looking for.

There's a Frazetta White Indian HB from Vanguard. IIRC, these stories take place during the revolutionary war era, so maybe not a true "western".

There is a slipcase 2 vol. set of the EC Library featuring Saddle Justice and Gunfighter.

Jack Jackson's Comanche Moon has been collected in a trade a couple of times, but is OOP.

Doug Wildey's Rio has been collected in HB

There is a Marvel Masterworks featuring Rawhide Kid

I haven't read it, but the supernatural western comic The Sixth Gun from Oni Press has been collected in four trades so far.

From what you guys said I do own Blueberry (In Portuguese, it's actually easy to find it translated here, i didn't even knew there were English translated versions as well) and Sixth Gun (and if you like that type of book should probably read it asap).

I can't believe I forgot Frazetta's White Indian, I had it on my To Buy list for the longest time and then completely vanished from my mind. :facepalm:

I will probably end up buying Golden Age Western Comics HC and Jeremiah (although I couldn't find this last one with a quick search).

Some great suggestions so far, thank you for taking the time guys! If anyone else remembers some other book let me know! :grin:

and Jeremiah (although I couldn't find this last one with a quick search).

I went :doh: right after posting about Blueberry once I recalled you're in Portugal.

The Jeremiah is puzzling since it came out this year but it seems they ended up making it a limited run :screwy:

Anyway, it's a European series which you should be able to find easier in your neck of the woods, if you so desired.

I agree Jonah Hex has a pile including the WWT series but there are not a lot of others available. I would also be interested in seeing any older titles that have been collected.

Batlash collected (not my auction) Showcase present

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHOWCASE-PRESENTS-BAT-LASH-DC-COMICS-COLLECTS-1-7-JONAH-HEX-GRAPHIC-NOVEL-/130731758052?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item1e703851e4

No Nick Cardy that I can recall.

In TPB, there are other offerings:

Jesse James by Kubert and Infantino was put out back in 2003 by Vanguard

There are strip reprints as well:

Classic Comics put out the first volume of The Cisco Kid

Hermes Press is re-releasing the Roy Rogers comic strip.

For more recent stuff, there is always the modern The Lone Ranger material by Dynamite.

The Lone Ranger Strip Archive (if you like comic strips) is good - it has Russ Heath art

51dj94UOx3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't think that that came out yet, no?

Edit: I see that Amazon shows a Diamond listing. It was solicited but later was cancelled. I believe that's a phantom book which has not been published. I know I was excited to get a copy and it never came.

The Lone Ranger Strip Archive (if you like comic strips) is good - it has Russ Heath art

51dj94UOx3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't think that that came out yet, no?

Edit: I see that Amazon shows a Diamond listing. It was solicited but later was cancelled. I believe that's a phantom book which has not been published. I know I was excited to get a copy and it never came.

It looks like you're right Scrooge. The strips are good, even not being a big LR fan. I hope it will be released. Sorry for the confusion.

and Jeremiah (although I couldn't find this last one with a quick search).

I went :doh: right after posting about Blueberry once I recalled you're in Portugal.

The Jeremiah is puzzling since it came out this year but it seems they ended up making it a limited run :screwy:

Anyway, it's a European series which you should be able to find easier in your neck of the woods, if you so desired.

Yeah, it's easier to find it here, but there's no portuguese translation and I can't really read french so my only choice is going for the Dark Horse version...

Too bad, I liked what I saw when I was searching for it on google.

There's a great long running Italian cult series called TEX that we get monthly here in Portugal, do you guys have it available in the US?

Arte-de-Aurelio-Galleppini1.jpg

Nah, we don't get Tex. There was one arc that was reprinted b/c Joe Kubert drew it? but that's it. We did get an attempt at some reprints of Martin Mystery and the other popular one ... can't recall the name right now I meant Dylan Dog ... but there was no follow-up.

Btw, you might be interested in this book:

Comics of the American West by Maurice Horn

I checked it out once and wish I were able to finish it but I thought it was interesting. Should be able to source a copy for not too much.

That looks like a interesting read!

Dylan Dog was published by Dark Horse, good stuff, we never received here in Portugal. Mike Mignola did some great work there.

Probably not what you are after, but I like the Lucky Luke trades. :cloud9:

I'm only not looking for those because I already own most of them! One of my favorite collections!

:cloud9:

I was going to suggest the recent JEREMIAH Omnibus vol 1 by Hermann put out this year by Dark Horse but it seems tough to find. It is a HC.

I believe there were some printing of Blueberry in English back in the '80's but those were softcovers.

Of course, Dark Horse is reprinting Roy Rogers in an Archives format but I don't believe that's what you're looking for.

I wish I hadn't missed out on that. I only have two issues of that series and they are awesome. That stuff is hard to find in English. I hope they reprint it.