• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prevent Obscuring of high ranking sets

97 posts in this topic

I think the argument was that in order to be eligible for the Registry Awards, your set needs to be un-obscured - which I personally think makes perfect sense.

Yup. Best of all solutions. If you just want a checklist, that's fine. But if you want to compete, at least come out of the shadows.

I think the argument was that in order to be eligible for the Registry Awards, your set needs to be un-obscured - which I personally think makes perfect sense.

Yup. Best of all solutions. If you just want a checklist, that's fine. But if you want to compete, at least come out of the shadows.

I don't think it makes perfect sense. You know what you are competing against... a higher (as I don't think we would be having this discussion if the obscured sets were of lower rank) ranking set.

As someone mentioned before, they use it as a tool of strategy. You don't like the fact that you are competing against something that you can't see. Well, that's life. Build a bridge...

I don't think it makes perfect sense. You know what you are competing against... a higher (as I don't think we would be having this discussion if the obscured sets were of lower rank) ranking set.

As someone mentioned before, they use it as a tool of strategy. You don't like the fact that you are competing against something that you can't see. Well, that's life. Build a bridge...

Contestants in a beauty pageant have to get up in front of an audience to compete. So do kids in a spelling bee. That's life too...

I think the registry is a lot of fun. And so is the competition. But I think obscured sets take a lot of the fun out of it. But hey, that's just me. You obviously disagree and we can meet on that rickety bridge.

Is it more profitable to create competitive sets which spur people to buy books they may not even want just to fill gaps or would it be more profitable to sell a package for cgc inventory to people who want to track but not display.

Again I fully understand wanting to obscure some sets while you are working on them to prevent getting hosed by someone, even though I think a minority of people bother to check the registry - I would have jumped at endless books if someone had checked the registry and offered them to me.

What I dont get if the FULL OBSCURE - its just like, I'm here, my stuff is better than yours (if so then why dont you have an almost full run of 9.8 Warlords :headbang: ), you should just know that but I'm not showing you my junk. If that the game take it elsewhere, why bother with a public forum the essence of which is to show your goods

Assuming out of this discussion that obscuring sets gets banned. Then what? If I didn't obscure the sets where there is a chance of losing my 1st place status then I would hold books back until close to the deadline. What's the difference?

I do not obscure the sets where it is mathematically impossible to pass me. Why would I show my hand to someone trying to pass me? I understand it may benefit CGC submissions if #2 only needs 3 more books to pass me and so they are more motivated to do so. What I prefer to happen is to complete my set at my pace while maintaining the lead.

If someone really needs to know what is in my set and has too much time on their hands then use the census. And why would an obscure set not qualify for an award? My set follows the same rules as everyone else and according to the point structure is #1. No award because I don't wish to share? lol

Agreed that obscuring does present a strategic advantage, when it's neck and neck with 1st and 2nd. While they may know your score, they will be in the dark as to what constitutes your score, and putting competitors into a position of having to strategically consider which upgrades are truly needed to give themselves a buffer over the competition. If someone knows they only need one book to give themselves a couple hundred points advantage, they can focus on one target, instead of spending excess on, say, SS books for an extra 5-10 points each :(

Now from a high ranking set point of view, that is clearly untouchable, I would think the obscure function would be more for privacy and thwarting would be vultures. Perhaps, they don't want to be hounded by people looking to cherry pick their hard earned collection (shrug)

I've considered obscuring my WD variant set, just because a boardie has decided to UPGRADE their set and take first. The race is more of a, who has more 9.9's or 10.0's, and it would be to my advantage to hide (obscure) or not log my upgrades till the very last minute. But with obscuring the set, I can add all my pictures as they come in and finish the descriptions ;)

No award because I don't wish to share? lol

That's correct! no award because you don't wish to share or show why you have the top spot in a public competition.

There are some comments about "how in poker... :blahblah:"...well, this is not poker, it is not about winning money, it is not the same thing...not sure why people constantly bring this up. Your collection speaks for itself...no need to hide it out of fear of losing to the next guy...

If you think that de-registering your collection until the last minute will be the ultimate outcome then so be it. Not having your collection on the site is the same as you obscuring it and frankly it won't be missed. If you can't handle the pressure of keeping your top spot then you should quit the game...

Long live unobscured sets!! :headbang:

Merry Christmas!

^^

No award because I don't wish to share? lol

That's correct! no award because you don't wish to share or show why you have the top spot in a public competition.

There are some comments about "how in poker... :blahblah:"...well, this is not poker, it is not about winning money, it is not the same thing...not sure why people constantly bring this up. Your collection speaks for itself...no need to hide it out of fear of losing to the next guy...

If you think that de-registering your collection until the last minute will be the ultimate outcome then so be it. Not having your collection on the site is the same as you obscuring it and frankly it won't be missed. If you can't handle the pressure of keeping your top spot then you should quit the game...

Long live unobscured sets!! :headbang:

Merry Christmas!

Obscured until 1 hour before the deadline and then the one hour show. Problem solved. ;)

Obscuring is a strategy. No need to hide it out of fear of losing to the next guy? There would be no way to know if others are simply not updating their sets. Obscure or not it's still the best set. :makepoint:

Again I fully understand wanting to obscure some sets while you are working on them to prevent getting hosed by someone, even though I think a minority of people bother to check the registry - I would have jumped at books if someone had checked the registry and offered them to me.

+1

I say un-obscured for the year that you wish to be in the running for a competitive set. I have no horse in this race people. My sets will never be competing for a top spot. However, disclosure is fair. If you want to compete... then show your cards.

You obscure your set in the 2013-2014 cycle then you are ineligible to be in the running for the 2014 awards.

What does it really matter? Why does someone feel that a person should be obligated to show what books they have in their collection?

The way I use the Registry is great. The way you use the Registry sucks.

Same mess. Different day.

I find obscured sets / sets without photos upsetting because I like to daydream having that collection.

As far as registry awards -

As long as CGC can see the set / verify it is there that is all that matters.

Question -

In the event of a tie, is consideration given to the person with more descriptions and photos?

What does it really matter? Why does someone feel that a person should be obligated to show what books they have in their collection?

The way I use the Registry is great. The way you use the Registry sucks.

Same mess. Different day.

Like I said, I don't have a horse in the race.

And who is going to track that a set did not use the obscure status all year?

I guarantee you that they can already tell. There is a record of every thread you have participated in and every change you have ever made somewhere in their system. For example, just look at every PM you have sent and every message you have written. Those are the most basic and even the PM's are numbered.

And who is going to track that a set did not use the obscure status all year?

I guarantee you that they can already tell. There is a record of every thread you have participated in and every change you have ever made somewhere in their system. For example, just look at every PM you have sent and every message you have written. Those are the most basic and even the PM's are numbered.

Tracking it in the system and using that information to differentiate sets is two totally different things. You either want to change the system to add parameters about the use of the obscure function or print yet another report for someone at CGC to manually eliminate sets. Compiling the information does not directly translate to using the information.

I'm sure there are a multitude of things that are tracked electronically. The overhead required to use all of that information simply is not feasible.

Well' Dr. Watson, You had better take a (Back-Seat) on this one!

An' Yes, Ghost Town, and all the others here are Right-On, in their statements!

A few of the collectors' having their collections hidden,(obscured) from the rest of us,shouldn't have access to all the benefits, especially the Awards Program. The many that do proudly display their sets in Ngc,I believe deserve this,and get the first priviledges of it.

I made a comment about this just recently. Check out the Message I left here as well, I'm just glad NGC acknowledges this now, and is acting upon it, beginning this year 2013' ! Enjoy,and Show your NGC- Collections for Everyone to View!

Jim Berline