• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG's grading?

47 posts in this topic

In general, how accurate and reliable is CGG's grading compared to CGC? I ask because there's a pricey book graded by CGG on eBay that is priced for it's grade right at Overstreet. If it was CGC graded, I'd hit the BIN, but overgrading by 0.5 could cost me a few bux value-wise and I can wait for another copy to come along someday.

I have had no problems with the CGG and there grading. This is pretty much a CGC board however. I wouldnt hesitate too buy a CGG graded book. Most here may dis-agree. It is a prefernce based on fact and fiction. I have sent enough book's too know there grading is very good. All my CGG book's have graded exactly where they should of been graded. Im sure you will get horror stories about them here. You can get horror stories about the CGC too though. Especially there turnaround time, submitting procedures etc.. Ask for large scan's of the book. See if you agree with the grade based upon the scan's. It's the best you can do, for either grading company..

That X-Men #1 looks like it is close to the given grade. But you have to be careful about getting restored books in CGG holders. Their restoration detection skills suck. You also have to wonder why the seller didn't break the book out of the CGG holder and submit it to CGC if they really think it's an 8.5 or 9.0.

That X-Men #1 looks like it is close to the given grade. But you have to be careful about getting restored books in CGG holders. Their restoration detection skills suck. You also have to wonder why the seller didn't break the book out of the CGG holder and submit it to CGC if they really think it's an 8.5 or 9.0.

Looks trimmed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . but, who's to say. juggle.gif could be "cleaned and pressed" as well . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

What makes you think I'm planning on buying an X-men #1? I'm a Batman and Golden Age guy. In fact, the only X-men book in my entire collection is an Annual #5 I may have bought out of a bargain bin.

I just wanted people's opinions as to their grading standards before I took a chance on a big purchase. As I said, if the book was CGC graded, I'd have popped the BIN last night.

I prefer to call it smart consumer advocacy.

In a little while there will be posts that have nothing to do with CGG grading. Just bashing Same Old S [!@#%^&^]

What makes you think I'm planning on buying an X-men #1? I'm a Batman and Golden Age guy. In fact, the only X-men book in my entire collection is an Annual #5 I may have bought out of a bargain bin.

I just wanted people's opinions as to their grading standards before I took a chance on a big purchase. As I said, if the book was CGC graded, I'd have popped the BIN last night.

Ok, is it this one???

Detective #61

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, is it this one???

Detective #61

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That one has restoration. gossip.gif

I'm not so sure that's really a fair assessment. Maybe he isn't aware of the problems with CGG. I don't think many people outside of this board are. Plus using your logic, the real question is "why didn't Andy send that ASM 10 to CGC?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif

Because it was the only expensive CGG book on ebay last night with a BIN of over $1,000. Just took a wild guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not so sure that's really a fair assessment. Maybe he isn't aware of the problems with CGG. I don't think many people outside of this board are. Plus using your logic, the real question is "why didn't Andy send that ASM 10 to CGC?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif

You laugh, but Andy and I talked about that. And I made damn sure that Andy was able to vouch for the book's provenance before I bid on it.

I don't have a problem with CGG's grading skills (they seem to do a good job of following the OS standards), but their resto detection sucks. Having said that, I've purchased a few CGG grade silver age books when I've been comfortable that they weren't restored.

Looks trimmed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . but, who's to say. juggle.gif could be "cleaned and pressed" as well . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

WHY?? it looks consistent with the CGC 8.0 books on Heritage. They had more flaws though. 893whatthe.gif

Sorry, I haven't been feeling well, and it's cut into my Board time! The book is gone now (someone pulled the trigger?)

The right edge was suspiciously short - the the MC was 75% missing, and the CCA seal was exactly in the URCFC. I don't believe this is common for the issue. If it is only QP, then it really bothers me, especially if there is no apparent reason for the cover being clipped short.

cheers,

divad

I don't see anything missing. confused-smiley-013.gifThe book is folded perfectly along the black edge. Is that bad? Why is every CGG book trimmed? 893naughty-thumb.gif There are at least 2 cgc 8.0 books on the Heritage site that have the same cut. Are they trimmed also??? insane.gif

BTW, with no profile and a name like "noshill", I would question your perspective on this. Do you work for CGG?