• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to cons with art

9 posts in this topic

What do you guys do?

do you bring your giant Itoya's and lug them around? do you have something with handles? if you keep with the Itoya's what do you put it in?

It's just a pain to carry a giant portfolio around, and it's even worse to bring a backpack big enough to carry one in...

Thanks for your help.

-Pete

Lately I usually bring an Itoya, I may also just buy one large mylar and fill it as I go. I also have a lightweight cardboard art case that I have used on and off for years and years, but stuff slides around in there. I now have one specific con Itoya that I have pulled some pages from because of putting comic books in there at cons and having the corners poke through the sleeves.

For the last 15 years I have brought a cloth portfolio with a shoulder strap inside I have a flat sturdy art folders (22x28). It protects that art very well, even walking thru a con. Never had my art bent or damaged. It lies flat in overhead compartment in planes. I don't usually bring art to shows except if I am trading or worked out a deal before the show more for art I buy.

As for sharing art, I used to have a thick binder of zeroxed pages but now I use my iPad. Its great I great Pdf files of different kinds of art, commission, published art, John Buscema then add then iBooks. Its great.

Usually take my iPad with scans of all my sketches as well as itoya folder loaded with blank pages packed into a cloth folder with shoulder strap. I also pickup large top loaders as well as large mylars to put in the cloth folder to store art I pickup at the convention.

The Ipad is a great idea... I am just too cheap to buy one right now...

I am planning on bringing some art to have it signed by the writers at NYCC. And maybe some other stuff to sell / trade... If I see the right shiney stuff.

So, I'll mostly be on the train and walking around the con with the art. No worries about a plane.

Looking on *spoon*blick...

I saw this, and thought it might suit my needs. Anyone have this, 17x14 was the size I was thinking.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/prat-start-premium-presentation-cases/

I also saw this, which might be a bit overkill, but would deff get me some geek cred =)

http://www.dickblick.com/products/prat-start-s2000-softside-backpack-portfolios/

Brian, when you say a cloth portfolio, are you talking about something like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/martin-universal-softside-portfolios/

Thanks all for your time and responses!

-Pete

I saw this, and thought it might suit my needs. Anyone have this, 17x14 was the size I was thinking.

I went to a couple of art stores over the weekend in search of a 17x22" presentation case (they were both sold out, unfortunately). A 14x17" case will do in most instances, but I figure there will be occasions when I need capacity for twice-up art, so I thought the all-purpose 17x22" would be the better choice for me.

I have all soft and hard cases of all sizes. I bring different ones on different days depending on what I expect to pick up at a show or how crowded the show is.

The soft (canvas) portfolio with an Itoya is the most convenient simply because of weight.

The specialty backpacks I've seen are not so great for art.

Cheers!

N.