• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with MYCOMICSHOP?

113 posts in this topic

I've ordered a handful of times from MCS. The few "NM"s that I've ordered were in the VF/NM to NM-, not horribly over-graded but not exactly what I was looking for either. None of them were expensive so it wasn't a big deal, just decided to stop ordering "NM"s from them.

Their "VF"s of late 70's and 80's books, on the other hand, are a great deal. I buy these as inexpensive reading copies and I've been extremely happy with the attractive copies I get. I keep coming back for these. The packaging is bomb-proof.

However, I think what the o.p. was asking about was more of a customer service problem. I gotta be honest, a few years ago, I asked a question (the only communication I've ever had with them) about a book and the response I got back was a bit brusque.

The book was like a $70 book in NM, but there was no scan of the back cover. I can't stand arrival date stamps so I asked if there was any stamps on the back cover. The response I got was a rambling paragraph that basically said 'look at the listing, that's our grading standard, if you don't like it go somewhere else'.

My question had nothing to do with their grading standard and whether a date stamp should or shouldn't be allowed in that grade, it was just a simple 'Is there one? Yes or no?'.

I feel the response was a bit unprofessional and I think that's what the o.p. is asking about: how you treat your customers when there's an issue that arises.

I appreciate that Conan always steps forward on these boards and address issues in a courteous and professional way, but a MCS customer shouldn't have to be a member of these boards to have there needs addressed.

Just my 2c for what it's worth...

edited to add: as far as the making offers on items that MCS has up for sale - I've never done it, and if you're making offers on items that don't have the "Make An Offer" option, probably should be prepared that the answer is probably going to be "no".

Anything less than 9.8 just won't do for me. I'm just that sort of collector.

I've never sold to them.

Then why are you buying raw books at all? If you are looking for that particular grade I imagine you will be disappointed far more often than not buying raw books. Just buy a slab already graded so you know what you are getting.

I try. Alas, not all the books I need have yet been slabbed.

I did use Mycomicshop to fill in gaps in my Wolverine Vol. 1 raw collection. But for that purpose, a bunch of 9.2s or 9.4s was actually perfect for my needs.

So yes, maybe saying that only 9.8s will do...maybe that was a stretch. But here LATELY, it seems that only 9.8s will do.

I'd prefer to buy raws in person, but I live in the middle of nowhere so that's not always feasible.

I've been happy with them too. Shipping to the UK is very reasonably priced and well packed.

+1

I've bought a lot of raw and slabbed books in from them in the past and always found their prices, service, shipping and packaging to be excellent.

The only issue I've ever had was on a raw Hellblazer book. I'd bought a Near Mint copy but the item received was clearly the wriong book (Not overgraded, just obviously a FN copy had been pulled by accident).

The issue was resolved exceeding my expectations very quickly.

I can't recommend them enough.

- Everything that's listed in our eBay store will be approximately 10% cheaper on our web site.

Does this mean every Buy it now book on ebay is available in your store? Or that a similar book in the same grade would be 10% cheaper if it were in your store?

Overall I'm very happy with them as both a buyer and a seller. Very fair in their dealings and I have tightened up my own grading as a result of dealing with them. They have probably saved me money on other deals as a result.

Reminds me that I have books I need to ship to them this week.

Used MCS many times and only ever had one problem.

I was placing an order(from their site) and although my CC was billed, it didn't appear on their site as a completed transaction.

So I called them, my CC was immediately refunded, and I was told to try putting the order in the next day, which I did, and it went through fine at that time.

Great company

If there's a problem, they will make it right

- Everything that's listed in our eBay store will be approximately 10% cheaper on our web site.

Does this mean every Buy it now book on ebay is available in your store? Or that a similar book in the same grade would be 10% cheaper if it were in your store?

Our eBay Buy It Now listings are a subset of our web site inventory. Every item in our eBay store will also be available on our web site, but there will be some items on our web site that won't be listed in our eBay store. All consignment items will always be listed on both our web site and our eBay store. Whenever an item sells in one venue or the other, it ends the listing on the other side.

Our eBay Buy It Now listings are a subset of our web site inventory. Every item in our eBay store will also be available on our web site, but there will be some items on our web site that won't be listed in our eBay store. All consignment items will always be listed on both our web site and our eBay store. Whenever an item sells in one venue or the other, it ends the listing on the other side.

Thanks, I am checking out your website for the first time now. I believe I have bought a book or two via your ebay page in the past.

A few comments on our pricing:

- For more expensive books, a lot of our inventory now is consignments (they're highlighted in yellow and labeled as consignment in the listings on our web site). For those items, the consignors set the prices, not us.

Any chance of getting a make an offer option on these consignments?As both a consigner and someone who purchases, it would be great to have this option.

I've been wanting to get make an offer finished for a long time now, keep having other stuff take priority.

I put in a change yesterday related to make an offer. Nothing visible, but infrastructure needed to support it, allowing items to be flagged so that they can only be purchased by a specified user at the agreed upon price. Once we're sure that's working as intended, we'll be adding on the interface to make and negotiate an offer price.

I bought a cgc comic from your website a few months ago. I payed for it, shipping, and the 3% fee you charge. Then after a few days I got an email stating that the comic was no longer for sale. You refunded me the comic price and the shipping, but not the 3% fee. After a few phone calls I got the money refunded. I am satisfied that I got the refund, but still very disappointed that I did not get the comic. I am sure the comic was sold at a higher price. But since then I have not bought another comic from your website.

Can you tell me how it works if a comic you have up for sale is a consignment? Do you have the comic in hand or does the owner have the comic and they send it out?

I bought a cgc comic from your website a few months ago. I payed for it, shipping, and the 3% fee you charge. Then after a few days I got an email stating that the comic was no longer for sale. You refunded me the comic price and the shipping, but not the 3% fee. After a few phone calls I got the money refunded. I am satisfied that I got the refund, but still very disappointed that I did not get the comic. I am sure the comic was sold at a higher price. But since then I have not bought another comic from your website.

Can you tell me how it works if a comic you have up for sale is a consignment? Do you have the comic in hand or does the owner have the comic and they send it out?

I've consigned a couple of books with them. They get the book in-hand and scan it before it's put up for sale.

99.9% of the inventory on our web site is books we have in hand. Anything still in the possession of the consignor will be clearly labeled as such on our web site. It will say "Please allow approximately 3 weeks for delivery. This item remains in the possession of the consignor until purchased, at which point the consignor will ship it to mycomicshop, and we will verify the item and ship to the buyer."

It's unlikely that the book you purchased was one of those, because we haven't fully implemented that yet and have only listed a handful of those kinds of listings.

Canceling a sale because we think we can get a better price isn't something we do. In your case, my guess would be that either:

A) Two orders came in for the book at almost exactly the same time.

or

B) We misplaced or incorrectly listed the book, and it just wasn't in stock.

Conan, if you sell a book on your website, do you cancel the auction on eBay? or don't you track the sales and match them?

I'm wondering because there is now some kind of fee if you cancel a listing on eBay...or maybe that doesn't apply to fixed price listings?