• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Events

12 posts in this topic

I like to end every year with my plan for next year. I enjoy buying modern raws with a few key SA and GA. I'm not a big fan of large crowds. I enjoy my elbow space. ;)

Since there is apparently no ImageExpo next year and I will likely skip NYCC I am looking for new stomping grounds.

I will likely go to C2E2 again. I like the hotel attached to the convention and the wide aisles.

Shows that have been recommended to me so far

Seattle - nice size and hopefully Pia Guerra

Heroes - I've heard many nice things about this show

Baltimore - apparently a pure comic show

What else and what are the Pro/Cons? Pun intended. ;)

I plan to attend 4 shows next year.

Thanks!

Any comparisons to C2E2?

I liked Wizard World Chicago better because of the selection of books and the onsite grading.

WW Chicago has a better dealer selection and is heavily focused on buying/selling. C2E2 has a better creator lineup.

Nice. Selection is always good. I have mixed feelings with onsite grading. Flying in from Toronto I'm not sure how many slabs I'd want to throw in my luggage. lol

How come you're skipping NYCC? It's an easy hour's flight from Toronto.

I've enjoyed my first Baltimore this year. Definitely going back again. I hoping to go to Boston next year. C2E2 and Seattle are also on my radar for future cons.

Hoo boy... Very interesting discussion...

In my opinion, the 3 big powerhouse regional shows that cater/specialize in an extensive guest list are the three you mention: Seattle, Heroes Con, and Baltimore. Hands down, no question, friendly, creator driven, with a vibrant dealer's side too. (tho' I haven't been to Heroes yet)

C2E2 is trying to find its' place in my opinion. Year 1, huge creator list, didn't live up to the hype, light business on the floor. Year 2, the lower expectations from Year 1 paid off and the show got better. Year 3, I didn't attend but I think it's coming into its' own. I think C2E2 is a higher class experience than Wizard World Chicago, but because of that, you have dealers that have to make back their booth costs and you have a "higher class", lower variety set of what you can buy. Wizard World Chicago on the other hand, is a pure buying/selling show, with a ton of variety from the low to the high end, and (while I should say "I hate to say it" I don't really hate to say it) has more of the flea market, go/go/go attitude, mixed in with all their "celebrity" guests. I was a fan of onsite grading at WW Chicago, I must say, there are certain opportunities that the option works well. The taking back home is an issue, but I just ship stuff home and hand carry the valuable ones. The value is knowing the grade, having it in your hands immediately, being able to act on it then and there.

Looking at the rest of the calendar, when it comes to the bigger shows:

WonderCon: whether in SF or Anaheim, the buying opportunities are less than before because the booth costs are such that only a certain level of dealer can really afford to bring stuff out. Programming is dynamite thanks to their Comic Con owners but nowhere near SDCC craziness. Ten, fifteen years ago (yikes, has it been that long?) WonderCon was my buying show. I think my new buying show is WW Chicago, which I can't believe cuz Chicago was my show. :) WonderCon is now the "fun" show, and WW Chicago is my buying show? Here I arrive Bizarro World!

MegaCon: The one show I haven't been to in years. Impressive guest list, certain Florida creators always come to this show, it kick starts the year in terms of cons, they've already weathered tough times in the past and I think they've come out a stronger and more vibrant show. Orlando in February is usually ok (not like Orlando in August. Don't know how Par2ch and the others got through SW Celebration) and hey, you can always drive to Sarasota to pick up books before or after. :)

Pittsburgh: I had a good time the last time I went to the Pitt Con, and I think the best thing I can say here is that, they bring in a decent guest list that you'll have great access to at this show. I know a few of the bigger dealers at this show like New Dimension Comics, and I was too busy at the show to really shop, but from a creator standpoint, there are some creators that, if this show is on their list, this is the show to get great sketches, lots of books signed, special requests, etc.

Big Wow Comic Fest: My West Coast hidden secret. This show in May brings out a great guest list and the attendance is ramping back up again. If you're looking for Underground comics, this show rivals WonderCon (the Northern California connection) in the selection and Underground creator guest list. I've gone enough that I know half the dealers (In the interest of full disclosure, not only does one of the organizers set up at my show, but a few of the dealers that set up at Big Wow set up at my show too) so I'm not shopping much at this show, though I usually pick up some great scores, especially Moderns which surprised me. Most of my time was spent on artwork. Not only did I get a great Jim Lee sketch I'm raffling off, but I picked up sketches from Travis Charest, Ryan Sook, Ron Lim, Linsner, Bob Layton, Rudy Nebres, Juanjo Guarnido, and bought art from guys like Bernie Wrightson and guys whose names I'm blanking on. And that was just this past show, barely trying and spending almost 3/4 of a day just on the Jim Lee sketch. For me, Big Wow is about the original artwork. I drop so much money (for my budget) on original art at this show it's ridiculous. It's worth it every single time. Oh, but I'm gushing, so moving on...

Other Wizard shows: The last time I attended Wizard World Philly, I went for a day and I was done in an hour. No kidding. Once a powerhouse in the Modern arena (and I think an onsite grading area) my assumption is that this show has become a typical Wizard show that caters more to their celebrity crowd than the comic crowd. To their credit, they are spending money to beef up their comic lineup, and you should always check their guest list before deciding. If they bring in the right mix for what you like, I think you'll have a great time. Plus, it's Bill Dinh's home city, so you have a good chance of getting a Dinh original. :) Hmm, I think he still sets up there, but I'm not sure.

As for the other Wizard shows, I can't speak to their quality so I won't try.

I hear Dragon*Con is more of an event con, 75% cosplay, it was spread out among 5 hotels, and the hidden secret of that show is that the comic section was a lower trafficked area. So, if you wanted more comic guests than celebrity/fantasy/sci-fi, you had more of "the run of the room" with them, which can be important.

I've heard good things about smaller but up-and-coming shows like Planet Comicon in Kansas City, the Alberquerque Comic Expo, the newer Detroit Fanfare show (newer than Motor City Con is what I meant)

Hope the rambling helps. Gotta put some "Elad-long" posts back up on the boards, right? :)

Nice. Selection is always good. I have mixed feelings with onsite grading. Flying in from Toronto I'm not sure how many slabs I'd want to throw in my luggage. lol

How come you're skipping NYCC? It's an easy hour's flight from Toronto.

I've enjoyed my first Baltimore this year. Definitely going back again. I hoping to go to Boston next year. C2E2 and Seattle are also on my radar for future cons.

I'll see how NYCC goes this year. By what I am seeing on the site it's a bigger show than I usually enjoy. I only go to Fanexpo because it's local. It's actually a little too big for me as well.