• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rip off characters...

56 posts in this topic

Im pretty sure Swamp Thing was first...

The Heap was first :sumo:

They were close...2 months apart

Man-Thing...Savage Tales #1 (May 1971)

Swamp Thing...House of Secrets #92 (July 1971)

If Wikipedia is to be believed Man thing was created long before

As Thomas recalled in 2002:

Stan Lee called me in; it would've been late '70 or early '71. [...] He had a couple of sentences or so for the concept — I think it was mainly the notion of a guy working on some experimental drug or something for the government, his being accosted by spies, and getting fused with the swamp so that he becomes this creature. The creature itself sounds a lot like the Heap, but neither of us mentioned that character at the time.... I didn't care much for the name 'Man-Thing', because we already had the Thing [of the superhero team the Fantastic Four], and I thought it would be confusing to also have another one called Man-Thing.

Thomas worked out a detailed plot and gave it to Gerry Conway to -script. Thomas and Conway are credited as writers, with Gray Morrow as artist. A second story, written by Len Wein and drawn by Neal Adams, was prepared at that time, but, upon Savage Tales' cancellation after that single issue, "took a year or two to see print", according to Thomas. That occurred in Astonishing Tales #12 (June 1972), in which the seven-page story was integrated in its entirety within the 21-page feature "Ka-Zar", starring Marvel's jungle-lord hero. This black-and-white interlude (with yellow highlighting) segued to Man-Thing's introduction to color comics as Ka-Zar's antagonist-turned-ally in this and the following issue (both written by Thomas, with the first penciled by John Buscema and the second by Buscema and Rich Buckler).

The Wein-written Man-Thing story appeared in-between Wein's first and second version of his DC Comics character Swamp Thing. Wein was Conway's roommate at the time, and as Thomas recalled in 2008,

Gerry and I thought that, unconsciously, the origin in Swamp Thing #1 was a bit too similar to the origin of Man-Thing a year-and-a-half earlier. There was vague talk at the time around Marvel of legal action, but it was never really pursued. I don't know if any letters even changed hands between Marvel and DC. [...] We weren't happy with the situation over the Swamp Thing #1 origin, but we figured it was an accident. Gerry was rooming with Len at the time and tried to talk him into changing the Swamp Thing's origin. Len didn't see the similarities, so he went ahead with what he was going to do. The two characters verged off after that origin, so it didn't make much difference, anyway

Air Fighters Comics #3 1942. 1st appearance of The Heap.

"Wanted by the Nazis"

Written by Harry Stein, penciled & inked by Mort Leav.

First appearance and origin of the Heap, prototype for Man-Thing and Swamp Thing.

Example Airboy # 12 Jan 1953

TheHeap.jpg

The original Heap was formerly Baron Eric von Emmelman (his last name also sometimes spelled Emmelmann), a World War I German flying ace who was shot down in 1918 over a Polish swamp. Clinging to the smallest shred of life through sheer force of will (and, as it was later revealed, with the mystic help of the nature goddess Ceres), through the decades his body decayed and intermingled with the vegetation around him, becoming one with the marshland itself until at last it, as the comics referred to the former Baron, arose from the muck during the early years of World War II as The Heap.[3]

Resembling a huge humanoid haystack whose most visible facial feature was a dangling root-like snout, the mute monstrosity first battled the lupine-cowled Blackhawk-style Allied ace Skywolf before turning against its fellow Germans who were now fanatical followers of the evil Nazi cause. Then it took to wandering the globe, helping in its semi-mindless and often misunderstood way those in need and battling those monsters more malevolent than itself.[3]

Capable of both savage violence and a surprising gentleness, for a time the Heap even had a kid sidekick of sorts in the form of Rickie Wood, a young boy whose remote control model biplane stirred murky memories of its former life

Nite Owl - Batman

Swamp Thing - Man Thing

Man Thing was first...right?

Yup, The Heap...

though i guess Solomon Grundy came out of a swamp too, but he looks nothing like these guys, which are all practically the same

Have Thanos and Darkseid ever been pitted against eachother? It seems like such a natural fit, but I don't recall that ever happening in any of the marvel/dc cross overs, but I have to admit I haven't read a lot of them.

Has Thanos ever had to deal with Galactus?

Isn't Apocolypse or whatever even more of a Darkseid rip-off?

Have any of these guys fought eachother?

Yup, The Heap...

Hillman/Eclipse version

Z-TheHeap-3.jpg

The original Heap was formerly Baron Eric von Emmelman (his last name also sometimes spelled Emmelmann), a World War I German flying ace who was shot down in 1918 over a Polish swamp. Clinging to the smallest shred of life through sheer force of will (and, as it was later revealed, with the mystic help of the nature goddess Ceres), through the decades his body decayed and intermingled with the vegetation around him, becoming one with the marshland itself until at last it, as the comics referred to the former Baron, arose from the muck during the early years of World War II as The Heap.

Resembling a huge humanoid haystack whose most visible facial feature was a dangling root-like snout, the mute monstrosity first battled the lupine-cowled Blackhawk-style Allied ace Skywolf before turning against its fellow Germans who were now fanatical followers of the evil Nazi cause. Then it took to wandering the globe, helping in its semi-mindless and often misunderstood way those in need and battling those monsters more malevolent than itself.

Capable of both savage violence and a surprising gentleness, for a time the Heap even had a kid sidekick of sorts in the form of Rickie Wood, a young boy whose remote control model biplane stirred murky memories of its former life.

Skywald version

Z-TheHeap-2.jpg

The Skywald version was pilot Jim Roberts, who accidentally crashed his cropduster plane into a tank of liquid nerve gas at an Army toxic waste dump and was horribly mutated into a jagged-fanged, long-tongued and glaring-eyed brute whose hideous blob-like body was virtually indestructible, bullets passing with a minimum of damage through the slimy gelatinous green "earth matter" which had replaced his fleshly form and which could regenerate itself against any injury up to and including near total incineration by a bolt of lightning. Unlike the previous incarnation, this Heap while mute was no mindless monstrosity and retained his human intelligence, allowing readers to share his every anguished thought as he wandered the world in a desperate attempt to find some method to either cure or kill himself.[citation needed]

Image version

Z-TheHeap-4.jpg

The Image Comics version in Spawn, a series about a conflicted, mostly Earth-bound servant of Hell, reimagined The Heap as a bum named Eddie Beckett. Beckett was murdered after finding a bag of necroplasm, a supernatural substance of which Spawn's body is composed. The necroplasm reacted with his body, causing the earth and trash around him to collect and meld with his corpse. The Heap fought Spawn on at least two occasions, each time swallowing and engulfing Spawn and sending him to the mysterious Greenworld, an other-dimensional representation of nature.

Sub Mariner 1939

Aquaman 1941

Seems DC started ripping off stuff early on...Marvel was late to the concept rip off later on..

The Shield 1940

Captain America 1941

Seems Marvel started ripping off stuff early on...Just not necessarily from DC :P

Rorshach = The Question

Ozymandius = Thunderbolt

Silk Spectre= Black Canary

Nite Owl= Batman

Comedian = Punisher

All of which makes Moore's whining about Before Watchmen somewhat redundant.

redundant? :shrug:

I dont see any connection with The Punisher and The Comedian.

Moore had originally wanted to use all the Charlton characters in Watchmen. The story goes that when DC found out they would all be unusable after Moore was done they let him make all stand alone characters based off of the Charltons.

So most all the Watchmen characters are rip offs

Moore had originally wanted to use all the Charlton characters in Watchmen. The story goes that when DC found out they would all be unusable after Moore was done they let him make all stand alone characters based off of the Charltons.

So most all the Watchmen characters are rip offs

Why would they be unusable?