• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Comic would be the most successful TV or Film adaptation?

28 posts in this topic

In case DC does research beyond the random focus group in a comic shop, which modern comic do you think would make the best television or film adaptation? Please feel free to discuss comics like Powers, Chew, Thief of Thieves, etc. that already have sold their rights for adaptations as well as comics like Saga whose writer has suggested it is not appropriate for the large or small screen. After people have shared their thoughts, I will try and provide a complex list of my favorites. It's apparent to me that we are going to see more and more TV and Film projects arising out of comics because of the success of the Walking Dead and the Avengers. If you want to talk about things moderately related to the subject of the forum (e.g., the next Batman movie), please don't be discouraged by the wanna be hall monitors who would rather silence discussion than have someone make a mildly related post (unless it's their forum BFF then anything and everything is appropriate including advertising ebay auctions - you know who you are). Thanks for participating!

American Vampire, Punk Rock Jesus, Think Tank, Mind the Gap and Morning Glories are all comics that I would love to see as television series. Morning Glories is the only one out of the bunch that I don't think would be a big hit, but it feels an awful lot like Lost and if it had the benefit of some skilled TV writers to clean up the plot, I think it would actually be a good show.

As far as comics that have sold their rights to Hollywood, I'm anxious to see Powers and Thief of Theives on the small screen. I think both books, if done right, will be successful on television. I'd like to see an adaptation of Chew remain as dark as the earlier issues of the series. Although I think I'm going to get a lot of flack for saying this, I enjoyed the first six issues of Chew the most and wish that it would have remained as dark as the first story arc. I'm also very excited for Peter Panzerfaust. BBC is becoming one of my favorite networks. I love the new Doctor Who, Copper and Luther. I've got hope that the amount of time and money that FX has invested in Powers shows that it is a series that certain network executives believe in. I'm also hopeful that we'll see Thief of Thieves on AMC because Kirkman has proven himself with the smashing success that the Walking Dead enjoys. The Walking Dead is the most watched basic cable television show ever.

I always thought 100 Bullets would make for an interesting HBO/Showtime series.

+1

How did I forget 100 bullets? Haha Scalped and Fables would be cool too. I need another Vertigo title to read.

I always thought 100 Bullets would make for an interesting HBO/Showtime series.

+1

How did I forget 100 bullets? Haha Scalped and Fables would be cool too. I need another Vertigo title to read.

It's a shame that Fables didn't get picked up and that Once Upon a Time was made in its place. I heard that there were people pitching for Fables, but that the network concluded that it didn't make sense to pay for a take on Grim Fairy Tales. Ironically the thing that comics have going for it (cheaper Intellectual Property than most novels and screenplays) worked against it when the subject matter was open sourced public domain work. :pullhair:

I would love to see Vertigo masterpieces come to the big or small screen. Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Transmet, and Sandman.

I've got to disgaree regarding Preacher and Sandman. They are two of my all-time favourite books and I think they would need a substantial amount of "Sanitising" to make them friendly to the mass market.

Sandman is probably too esoteric. Preacher is probably too offensive to religion and common decency as a whole.

I'd like to see a 100 Bullets series and as much as I'd hate to see anyone tinker with YtlM, I have to admit, that done well, it would be perfect for TV.

Surprised no-one has mentioned a Punisher series.

I would love to see Vertigo masterpieces come to the big or small screen. Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Transmet, and Sandman.

I've got to disgaree regarding Preacher and Sandman. They are two of my all-time favourite books and I think they would need a substantial amount of "Sanitising" to make them friendly to the mass market.

Sandman is probably too esoteric. Preacher is probably too offensive to religion and common decency as a whole.

I'd like to see a 100 Bullets series and as much as I'd hate to see anyone tinker with YtlM, I have to admit, that done well, it would be perfect for TV.

Totally agree. Only if they can make a perfect version (which I doubt they can for Sandman and Preacher).

Hasn't Preacher been on again / off again in regards to a series or movie adaption? The religious controversy surrounding that book stops it from being made properly but I do believe it would make a good movie adaption. A series would be too controversial IMO.