• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guarantee a 9.4...

52 posts in this topic

....OK,...Yor're a major comic dealer and you get a 9.6 copy of Hulk 181,...so what do you do?...sell it raw on E-bay of course...after all you would only get $4500.00 if it's graded....

.............now they guarantee it gets at least a 9.4,...and think it has a 50% chance of a 9.6.....and offer a full refund,...but read the fine print...Any item you purchase from us may be returned within 2 weeks for a full refund

So I guess you would have to receive the book,...send it to CGC....and get it back within two weeks (possible if you go for express) in order for this guarantee to be valid.....

..........now I see 3 stress marks on the spine....a stain in the URC...and a book length stacking crease about 1/4 inch from the spine...what are the odds of this book getting a 9.4 let alone a 9.6 ??....and what are the odds of getting your money back from jscomics after it comes back from CGC after 2 weeks when it grades a 9.0??

linky-dink

..........now I see 3 stress marks on the spine....a stain in the URC...and a book length stacking crease about 1/4 inch from the spine...what are the odds of this book getting a 9.4 let alone a 9.6 ??....and what are the odds of getting your money back from jscomics after it comes back from CGC after 2 weeks when it grades a 9.0??

I've never dealt with them, but I've heard that they accept returns with no problems, so I think the odds are pretty good.

I don't know,...somethings not right,...a 9.4 CGC on this book is a solid $2200.00 and close to $4800.00 for a 9.6,..if you owned it wouldn't you send it off to be graded for an extra $2600.00???...it doesn't make any sense to me....

That stain is kind of ugly and would probably hurt the grade considerably. If I was the seller and I honestly felt it had a chance at a 9.6 wouldn't you pay to get it slabbed on express before you listed it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes.

The book is probably borderline 9.2/9.4...and the seller is hoping it makes 9.4 to cancel his guarantee.

Good thread, Rocketeer. A couple thoughts come to mind in a situation like this.

(run on sentence warning)

If a seller wants to move a comic valuable enough to warrant Express or Walkthrough submission that they genuinely feel will achieve a certain grade, and if that book could easily command a proportionately higher price as a result of that certification, they are foolish for leaving money on the table by selling raw even with a "money back guarantee".

As collectors, we have to make a choice for ourselves, especially when it comes to purchasing high grade books. You have to decide if your time, effort and money is worth playing bargain hunter for raw CGC candidates. Sometimes if you want a CGC x.x book, the smartest and easiest thing to do is to just go and buy a CGC x.x book!

But how do you interpret the guarantee?...is it two weeks,...or upon CGC return?..even with express it's going to take two weeks from start to finish....

But how do you interpret the guarantee?...is it two weeks,...or upon CGC return?..even with express it's going to take two weeks from start to finish....

My express sub took 2 and a 1/2 weeks. If I were to bid on that book, I'd Email the seller to see if they will extend their guarantee so that you have the time to submit it.

If they won't go beyond 2 weeks....walk away. They're not stupid, and probably realize that it isn't possible to return the book to them in the timeframe allowed.

I don't know,...somethings not right,...a 9.4 CGC on this book is a solid $2200.00 and close to $4800.00 for a 9.6,..if you owned it wouldn't you send it off to be graded for an extra $2600.00???...it doesn't make any sense to me....

I'm not saying anything about the grading or anything else, but I've not heard anything bad about them in terms of customer service. That's what I'm answering to (with heasay info.) They also sell high grade lots like this all the time, so this isn't some new development from them.

If you have questions about the timing of the refund, ask them. Posting here does nothing but get the conspiracy juices flowing and god knows this place needs less of that.

These guys move a hell of a lot of books, and it's possible that they don't have the time or inkling to use CGC. I don't know what their train of thought is on the guarantee, but I will say that their customer service is superb. I bought a batch of books from them, and returned a few of them with no hassle whatsoever. And they weren't *that* badly graded, but I felt I had to return them considering that I paid over guide.

Also, keep in mind the cost and time factor with CGC. They seem to buy a lot of collections, much like showcase-new-england, and perhaps it's a matter of cashflow. Maybe they need quick sales to stay afloat.

...I'm not trying to start a conspiracy,...I did e-mail them but being that the auction is set to close in a couple of hours the chances of a return are probably 50/50...I would never spend that kind of money on a book without getting the facts up front,...I was just curious as to the interpretation of the return policy....

..........now I see 3 stress marks on the spine....a stain in the URC...and a book length stacking crease about 1/4 inch from the spine...

The stacking crease you are refering to is actually a print scratch that is very common with this book.

It shouldn't hurt it unless it gets in the 9.8+ range.

I've seen similar stains on 181 as the one on the upper right of this one.

Not sure if it's actually something that is common, or if it will pull the grade down.

My guess is that it will count against the grade.

Beautiful book. I'd love to have it.

thumbsup2.gif

...I'm not trying to start a conspiracy,...I did e-mail them but being that the auction is set to close in a couple of hours the chances of a return are probably 50/50...I would never spend that kind of money on a book without getting the facts up front,...I was just curious as to the interpretation of the return policy....

I know you're not trying to start anything. I also know what happens when someone posts something like this. People assume the worst and things take off from there...

That stain is kind of ugly and would probably hurt the grade considerably. If I was the seller and I honestly felt it had a chance at a 9.6 wouldn't you pay to get it slabbed on express before you listed it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif you would think so, wouldn't you?

I've dealt with them several times and had mostly good experience I did get a few overgraded books but they took them back and gave me a full refund so no problem there I thought the Hulk 181 would get a 9.4 no problem even with the small stain across the left corner box If I needed a copy in NM this one would do nicely provided there are no hidden defects and I've seen worse 9.4's from CGC

You have to decide if your time, effort and money is worth playing bargain hunter for raw CGC candidates. Sometimes if you want a CGC x.x book, the smartest and easiest thing to do is to just go and buy a CGC x.x book!

Good point here. I have bought 9 sets of the Punisher limited series and about 5 sets of teh Wolverine limited series trying to get 9.8's. I buy at good prices, and sell them if I don't submit them, but am sooooooooooo tired of doing this. That is why I have been asking so often about these books. The chase is really fun, but I am tired of it. I would much rather spend my time, buying and flipping Bronze Marvel books.