• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLWTS!

81 posts in this topic

I didn't want to take over a thread in the Sales forum, but I thought it was a good topic and worth talking about.

Do most people here want sketches for nothing? Or at least for next to nothing?

I've gone the sketch route at shows and tried (and even succeeded once or twice) to get sketches for other people. I am more than aware of what a colossal pain in the backside it is to get them done for one's self, and getting them for others only increases the pressure level.

I know that I, for one, don't expect to get them for cheap. I wish I could, but I certainly don't expect it. My problem is quite frankly, I am broke or holding back for a particular item. I am sincere when I express a desire followed by a statement about empty pockets. I'm not looking for a better deal... hm ...well maybe time payments or a trade, but not a better price.

Am I the exception? (shrug)

This is a bit of a carry over from the convention sketch and commission collection area.

Many times the most a sketch will sell for is what the person to whom a convention sketch or commission originally obtained it from the artist paid.

Unless it's someone that's more difficult to get or a particularly stellar example that leads to disappointment when selling, at least in the short term.

If you add in the cost of shipping, slabbing, etc to the mix then getting sketch cover created and reselling them is a difficult proposition but for the situations noted above.

Ive never asked once to hanggle the price down on any sketch....as I know how difficult and time counsumming it can be. I get frustrated with a line up at Mc Donalds.....when its 4 deep.

Been to a few shows now.....Dont be cheap ppl, the guys/girls on here really do put up with alot of mess and for doing that should be rewarded with full value atleast :)

I love this board and the sketches that I have been able to get that I would had have no chance of ever getting on my own!!

To all you with ops and sales threads with sketches..God Bless :golfclap:

I think buyers assign the value of a sketch to how much they like it, and how popular/prolific an artist is - at times, completely ignoring the sellers costs or justification to why it's priced the way it is.

Because there is no set standards for sketch covers, I think buyers feel that there is more wiggle room on pricing, and of course - occasionally preying on the seller's desperation to move a book that has a small percentage of potential customers (i.e., Thor fans or Deadpool fans who like OA).

Personally, I don't tend to lowball on sketch covers - because I know the time and effort that goes into obtaining them. And, I consider it a premium for me to buy a sketch that I really like without having to go through all the BS to get it.

My biggest fear is dropping a bunch of cash on a cover, getting it back and not really liking it - or not liking it as much as I anticipated I would. I'd rather come across a piece that I like, make a decent offer on it to the buyer and go from there.

This is a bit of a carry over from the convention sketch and commission collection area.

Many times the person to whom a convention sketch or commission is worth is to the person who originally attained it from the artist.

Unless it's someone that's more difficult to get or a particularly stellar example that leads to disappointment when selling, at least in the short term.

If you add in the cost of shipping, slabbing, etc to the mix then getting sketch cover created and reselling them is a difficult proposition but for the situations noted above.

+1

I had my fair share of sketch covers done, and, yes, it sucks standing in line, fretting over whether an artist will be able to finish the sketch in time or worrying about how the sketch is actually going to turn out.

But, let's not kid ourselves here - when it comes to a lot of the artists who actually do shows, the entire sketch process consists of finding the artists table, standing in a line for about 10 mins, dropping off your sketch cover and then picking it up at the end of the show in the presence of a CGC witness. I think it's ridiculous that some sellers are trying to pretend that every single sketch cover is a herculean task when that's much more the exception than the rule.

Not to mention that just because you paid $100 for a sketch - and then another $50 for the grading - doesn't automatically make the book worth $150.

I'm certain that there are lowballers on the board who will happily offer you $5 for a $200 SS book - and then get offended when you don't immediately accept their generous offer. But, on the other hand, there are also plenty of sellers whose prices are driven by either sentimentality ("I personally think this sketch is amazing, so I'll charge a premium") or by them having overpaid for a sub-par sketch in the first place.

As previously mentioned, there isn't a set price in sketch covers. I have seen people post prices on items that I know cost them much less than what they are asking for and I have seen people post time at cost. There are also posts giving a post and then stating that said artist has increased their price, thinking that would justify the asking price for the sketch.

These prices are set in the eyes of the owner. Just like everything, list whatever price you want, know your bottom price. If the offer is lower than what you are willing to sell for, then just say no. If no one bites, and you are asking for offers - same rules apply, you just have less rights to moan when peope low ball you.

Many times the person to whom a convention sketch or commission is worth is to the person who originally attained it from the artist.

+1

I had my fair share of sketch covers done, and, yes, it sucks standing in line, fretting over whether an artist will be able to finish the sketch in time or worrying about how the sketch is actually going to turn out.

But, let's not kid ourselves here - when it comes to a lot of the artists who actually do shows, the entire sketch process consists of finding the artists table, standing in a line for about 10 mins, dropping off your sketch cover and then picking it up at the end of the show in the presence of a CGC witness. I think it's ridiculous that some sellers are trying to pretend that every single sketch cover is a herculean task when that's much more the exception than the rule.

Not to mention that just because you paid $100 for a sketch - and then another $50 for the grading - doesn't automatically make the book worth $150.

I'm certain that there are lowballers on the board who will happily offer you $5 for a $200 SS book - and then get offended when you don't immediately accept their generous offer. But, on the other hand, there are also plenty of sellers whose prices are driven by either sentimentality ("I personally think this sketch is amazing, so I'll charge a premium") or by them having overpaid for a sub-par sketch in the first place.

^^

When I attend a show this is the exact process that is used. I show up to a table I wait in line for anywhere from 0 to 10 mins and I drop the sketch off. I come back on Sunday with CGC and pick it up. Every artist I have got a sketch from has gone this way except with Ebas where I actually did have to wait in line.

I also dont tend to get 10 or 15 100$ sketches at a show because they are not worth it. No one really wants some random sketch by some guy that charged 100$. If you are reselling people want the larger name artists and they want the sketches to be in color. So its worth it to spend the cash and get a 300$ or 400$ sketch because those will be the ones that sell.

Look at the previous sales threads how long does a campbell or ebas sit in the forum? They literally sell within hours of being posted for sale.

I figured this was a stab at me, so I will post this.

The price/value of a graded sketch is what YOU are willing to pay for it.

Needless to say, I don't want conflict. Those of you who know me, know that I more than fair whwhen it comes to getting things done

I figured this was a stab at me, so I will post this.

The price/value of a graded sketch is what YOU are willing to pay for it.

Needless to say, I don't want conflict. Those of you who know me, know that I more than fair whwhen it comes to getting things done

From me? :eek:

Sorry, I never meant it as such, I just thought you brought up a good point in your thread and rather than hijack it and have a small group seeing it, I thought a new thread was a good idea.

Hats off to all of you guys who get sketches done, either at shows or as ops on here! I wouldn't have a fraction of my collection if you all had not been so generous!

:foryou:

I am sincere when I express a desire followed by a statement about empty pockets.
Not directed at you Medic but this applies to even my normal sales thread I just had. I really dislike the "great books too bad I am broke" post. I don't care about how broke other people are. There are some super expensive books on this boards that I want but I am not going into every thread and saying "I would buy this but I don't have the money". Why not just look at it and think about how much you want it without telling me your financial situation? Again not directed at you Medic.

[font:Book Antiqua]Other problem I have notice:

1) Artist rising prices. Some artist are asking ridiculous price for sketch commission, if you are willing you can find a nice published page for a good price, the amount of work put in a sketch cover it’s not always the same as a OA published page. As an example this is a Link for published cover for Savage Hawkman from Philip Tan part of the new 52 and the asking price is $ 400.00

Link to Hawkman # 2 cover for sale...

2) Now your place as an artist. If your last name it’s not, Finch, Cheung, Lee or something similar ask for money according to your name...[/font]

I am sincere when I express a desire followed by a statement about empty pockets.
Not directed at you Medic but this applies to even my normal sales thread I just had. I really dislike the "great books too bad I am broke" post. I don't care about how broke other people are. There are some super expensive books on this boards that I want but I am not going into every thread and saying "I would buy this but I don't have the money". Why not just look at it and think about how much you want it without telling me your financial situation? Again not directed at you Medic.

Directed at me or not, you make a good point.

I usually try to post something along those lines when a seller has an item that I really want or have asked about in the past. I want them to know that there is interest in their item and even if they dropped the price, I still don't have the funds in the bank to make it happen.

I always intended it as a compliment and a way of bumping their thread, but I can see how it could be frustrating....now.

Me personally I prefer to get the sketches in person. It's usually cheaper, you get to interact with the artist and you control the handling from start to CGC. That being said, you have to consider your ability to do this versus having someone else that has a connection or will see the artist at an upcoming show.

It doesn't make fiscal sense to me to attend shows like SDCC or NYCC just to get sketches. Travel costs, hotel, cab fare, standing in lines, all can be avoided by simply paying a premium for someone else to do it that is already in attendance. Sure you don't get to experience the "show" that way but your wallet doesn't need a medic later either (unless it's a top of the line sketch).

I'm ultimately grateful to those of you that have provided opportunities for the sketches I have (or hope to have soon :lol:)

I haven't bought a sketch from someone else, because I like the idea of an artist that I like drawing something specifically for me, that I picked, and I can feel in some sense that I helped create. If not for me paying him/her, this piece of art would not have been created. That gives me a sense of kinship/ownership with the art, and I don't mind paying and waiting in line for that piece.

However, this aspect is less present when buying a second hand sketch. Granted, the radness of the sketch or artist can make up for that lost connection to the art, but its simply not as easy. And therefore in many cases worth not as much TO ME, so I might find it harder pay full value. So the things that some people are saying make it worth MORE, actually make it worth less TO ME.

The above is just my opinion, and may only apply to me.

The following is a hypothetical that has ran through my head, and may apply to just me.

If a person goes through the trouble of choosing an artist they like, prepping a high-grade blank, getting tix to a show, going to a show, waiting in line early (sometimes hours), requesting a sketch, paying the money, getting a CGC witness, paying CGC fees, waiting a month (express) or 5 months (non-express) to get the sketch back, it seems to me like a person wouldn't do all that unless they really liked the artist and that drawing. So aside from the $200 in sketch/cgc fees put into the drawing, they may have put in a bunch of extra time/other fees into the whole process. The fact that a person is willing to sell that sketch that they put SOOOO much time and money into the sketch for cost or near cost, it might mean that after all the effort, they'd rather have their money back. One could get the the impression that its not worth what was originally paid for it. So why would I as a potential buyer want to pay full price for it? If its not worth the $200 to the person it should mean the most to (original buyer), why would it be more (or equal value) to me?

Now there are many good and reasonable reasons it might be worth more (or equal value) to a potential buyer, but I don't think its unreasonable for a potential buyer to feel the way described in the previous paragraph.

And there are some people who would just love a Jim Cheung sketch, but they're 13 and they saved their allowance for 6 months, and all they can offer is $78 on a $300 sketch. Doesn't hurt them to try. Doesn't hurt the average person to politely decline.

But yes, its no fun to get hammerred over and over by lowballs or have people get mad at you for not accepting lowballs. But if everyone makes and accepts/declines offers politely and civily, I see no real problem with lowballs.

Directed at no one specifically:

It also doesn't help when a person gets a sketch from an artist and immediately upon getting it back from CGC it shows up in a sales thread or on ebay. That, I suspect, is why there are more and more artists raising their prices for them. Some creators feel the same about SS books. They sign books for someone, knowing the books are getting graded, and later on see them listed online for sale. I can see where they might get the feeling they're being used as someone's cash cow and not be happy with it.

Directed at no one specifically:

It also doesn't help when a person gets a sketch from an artist and immediately upon getting it back from CGC it shows up in a sales thread or on ebay. That, I suspect, is why there are more and more artists raising their prices for them. Some creators feel the same about SS books. They sign books for someone, knowing the books are getting graded, and later on see them listed online for sale. I can see where they might get the feeling they're being used as someone's cash cow and not be happy with it.

Tim, this may be true to some extent. But to try and put some positive into what has been a very negative SS day, there are some artists that are absolutely ecstatic about sketch covers and the opportunity they provide. Darryl Banks was thrilled with the response that he received from his sketch opp. He has gotten several emails, and thus more opportunity to draw and make money. I think there a lot of artists that appreciate the opportunity to make money with their artistic abilities, especially those artists that don't have a steady book.

Directed at me or not, you make a good point.

I usually try to post something along those lines when a seller has an item that I really want or have asked about in the past. I want them to know that there is interest in their item and even if they dropped the price, I still don't have the funds in the bank to make it happen.

I always intended it as a compliment and a way of bumping their thread, but I can see how it could be frustrating....now.

I always took it as a compliment :)