• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank The Creator!

35 posts in this topic

Originally Posted By: GODOFTHUNDER

How about creating a post thanking creators and letting them know how much the SS program has changed your way of collecting?

Well.........Great Idea Adonis, lets see how long this lasts and if it gets any legs.

Purchased two sketches from the Bank of Asgard as I was unable to personally attend a convention that the great Bob Layton was attending this year.

I've loved Mr. Layton's work for some time. He just seems to nail the iconic look for what I thought a super-hero should look like from my youth, and this even holds true for me today.

I greatly appreciate the time he puts into these sketches prior to, or at a convention like Heroe's CON, where Adonis picked up at least one of these for me this past year.

I'll post pic's as soon as Photobucket allows me...but I didn't want to waste any more time kicking this thread off!

I love the CGC SS program for all its warts and challenges its more than well worth it!

Artist appreciation thread for whoever wants to contribute!

they might be better off with a subforum and separate thread for each creator....

also I think if I were a creator, I'd love to see a picture of the person/fan holding the books or where they sit on your shelf/wall/display. If available.

So many to thank...where to start? I may have to try to make it one per day for awhile...

Matt Kindt came to mind right away. I had a blast meeting him in KC and having dinner with him and few other artists and boardies and anyone else that happened to come along. This guy should be a giant in this business, and I've got my fingers crossed that his day is coming soon.

FF1%20Sketch%20Kindt.jpg

I personally dont think you should thank the "creators",they should be thanking you guys, Without fandom most artists would have to get real jobs,without fandom the only person wanting Stan Lee's signature would be a bill collector,without fandom there would be no comic-book market, period.

We owe YOU a big THANK YOU for being fans of characters and concepts that otherwise would be dismissed as not being commercially viable.

So, if thanks is due, thank the older generation of "creators" who didn't benefit from

modern publishing windfalls and the occasional sketch opp like myself and others do.

My 2 cents.

I personally dont think you should thank the "creators",they should be thanking you guys, Without fandom most artists would have to get real jobs,without fandom the only person wanting Stan Lee's signature would be a bill collector,without fandom there would be no comic-book market, period.

We owe YOU a big THANK YOU for being fans of characters and concepts that otherwise would be dismissed as not being commercially viable.

So, if thanks is due, thank the older generation of "creators" who didn't benefit from

modern publishing windfalls and the occasional sketch opp like myself and others do.

My 2 cents.

I see where you're coming from, especially with the older creators. The herd is thinning and it's always worth the time to stop by and say thanks to those guys. If you see them on guest list and don't know what they did, ask here before you go or "Google" them! It will make their day to know that people still know what they did!

As for the younger guys, I understand you as well. I think what we're trying to do here is let them know that it's not all about flipping books and that just because someone has a stack to get signed doesn't mean they're trying to make a quick buck just for a signature.

Thanks MedicAR.

I guess its a matter of perspective.

Having seen some newer artists in Baltimore act as if they are doing the fans a favor

by sketching a circle and then watching as the older guys sign books that are being

being submitted got me thinking about things.

Like over hearing some guys being bumbed that Kubert died because now they couldnt get his signature on a Hawkman issue to sell on ebay,

But thats just the name of the game nowadays.

Commerce rules.

And Im not saying no to thanking whomever you want,if something or someone makes you happy then why not say thank you.

I understand the "dark side" you're talking about, too.

I'm bummed that I won't get Joe Kubert on a couple more books, but more than comforted by the sketch I have from him. It's not a cover or even a page, but it is my Sgt. Rock sketch which means as much or more than any published art.

I get frustrated with the young guys at times as well, just like any other business, though. They will either learn or move on.

I always enjoy taking pictures of creators with covers I've purchased. Without their hard work and effort, I would of never been able to obtain some of the following:

Elliot Fernandez:

P1010053.jpg

J Scott Campbell:

2012-02-19125009.jpg

Mike Perkins:

MP.jpg

Bob Layton:

BL.jpg

Scott Blair:

SB.jpg

And some guy from the boards:

P8280011.jpg

This is just a small amount of the countless creators I've dealt with throughout the years. Some I have pictures of, others I deleted in time.

But every time I see them, I make sure to shake their hand and thank them.

[font:Book Antiqua]Thank you to the creators, writers and artist that make my childhood happy.

Alto thanks to:

LCS that sold me the book for $ 5.00

The artist that make the Sketch for me for $ 125.00

To CGC for charging me $ 35 + 5 for summit my book

To Canada post for the $ 25.00 for the returning ship cost.

To Canada Revenue Agency for charging tax on the book.

Now we all should get hands together like the care bears do...

Guys, this is a business for everyone,

and the one that pay the final price it’s the buyer/fan

lets focus,

this is a business... [/font]

Care-Bears-Wallpaper-80s-toybox--6.jpg

Sure there's business involved with almost everything in life.

But I believe you may have missed the point on this one. :facepalm:

Sincere appreciation can also come with almost everything in life...and maybe just maybe some of us...sometimes forget that even just a little bit.

Nothing wrong with showing a little love for those that have brought us joy in this hobby / passion / inspired on the best of days pursuit of 'commerce' (thumbs u

Sure there's business involved with almost everything in life.

But I believe you may have missed the point on this one. :facepalm:

Sincere appreciation can also come with almost everything in life...and maybe just maybe some of us...sometimes forget that even just a little bit.

Nothing wrong with showing a little love for those that have brought us joy in this hobby / passion / inspired on the best of days pursuit of 'commerce' (thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t meant to be disrespectful to you or any creator,

but to understand my post you have to read most of the threads in the SS sub-forum from today...

Peace...[/font]

:foryou:

[font:Book Antiqua]Thank you to the creators, writers and artist that make my childhood happy.

Alto thanks to:

LCS that sold me the book for $ 5.00

The artist that make the Sketch for me for $ 125.00

To CGC for charging me $ 35 + 5 for summit my book

To Canada post for the $ 25.00 for the returning ship cost.

To Canada Revenue Agency for charging tax on the book.

Now we all should get hands together like the care bears do...

Guys, this is a business for everyone,

and the one that pay the final price it’s the buyer/fan

lets focus,

this is a business... [/font]

Care-Bears-Wallpaper-80s-toybox--6.jpg

Really bro? :facepalm:

I'm glad you attend alot of conventions to know.

MagnusX its all good, I took no offense.

I just want to have a thread that maintains a positive vibe that just focuses on thanking, or showing appreciation for the creators we've received work from.

Yes, I've read the other threads and understand all sides of the business.

However, there's a passion that comes with creating this work that stays with us from childhood and lasts till we pass in many instances, or at least until we let our kids watch their first Saturday morning cartoon.

This is one thread where I hope we can focus just a little about how its not just about the cash, but the great stories and the art that inspired us, and maybe even some of the great relationships we've stumbled upon along the way.

In that interest. Here's a fun piece hanging on my wall with a pretty cool story.

Convinced my wife to attend her first con with me in Philly back in '07, while she'll never really be into this stuff like I am, at least she tolerates me. She waited in line for a free sketch from EBAS on my behalf...We got Batman on a 11X16 board. Since then I've always liked it, but it always felt unfinished. Several years later I met Matt Slay at a Virginia convention. His stuff just struck me, especially his tones and use of dark space, and he seemed like the perfect guy to finish the EBAS piece. I showed it to him and he was interested, but wanted to contact EBAS to make sure he was cool with it. Turns out they had recently become friend and he didn't want to step on any toes. You could just see Matt was genuinely excited to work on this piece and that shines through in the finished product. I think you'll agree... I can't wait to see Matt again at a Virginia Con and pick up one of his newer prints and just thank him again for helping me decorate my own personal little bat cave (the rest of the house is run by my wife and two little twins).

EBASSLAYBAT.jpg[/img]

I made sure to thank everyone who sketched something for me in Baltimore - both in person and publicly on their Facebook pages if they had one.

I also scanned their work and sent it to them so they could have a record of it. I'm sure they never see most of the stuff they do at cons once it leaves their table. Several of them expressed gratitude at having the scans, so it's something I'll continue to do in the future.