• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #121

24 posts in this topic

New to the board and new to comic collecting. So Hi.. and thanks! I'm sending some books off to Joey and then to cgc.. I'd like to see how my grading is compared to you experts here. I have no clue how to grade this one so its the first.

ASM121front_zps7ab67a91.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/s8j2bs40nrjuslk/ASM%20121%20front.jpeg

ASM121back_zps57d833b9.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/mviopnajcacyqqh/ASM%20121%20back.jpeg

First of, WELCOME to the forum! You'll love it here. Bunch of real nice people who truly know their stuff when it comes to comic book collecting, grading, etc.

This is a gorgeous book. Most definitely one of my favorite ASM covers!

OK, I took the liberty of posting the book as a public service to you and the other members of the forum.

ASM121Front-a.jpg

ASM121Back-a.jpg

Of course we see what will ultimately torpedo this book:

ASM121Front-b.jpg

If not for this major crease, I would say this book would have been worthy of at least a 9.4 or pehaps higher.

With this major flaw, I must say it will be between 7.0 to 7.5 IMO.

Can others here please tell me (and the OP) what a crease like this will do to a grade? How much would you subtract from an otherwise gem of a book?

Thanks for the pics MODOK, there are also a few spine problems, like beside aunt may and at the bottom of Gwen. I think 7.0 would be tops, however it's a gorgeous 7.0

Yup. I see those also. 7.0 is a likely grade IMO. Not sure how Joey will be able to improve it.

Hopefully, Sulphur and others will lend their expertise to this.

I agree. This is a gorgeous copy.

ASM121Front-aa.jpg

I can't believe I still don't have this issue- outside of a Marvel Tales reprint.

I see at least 10 spots on the front spine that break color. The bottom left corner FC has an abrasion, the bottom right corner FC has a tiny chip, the top right corner BC has a slight bindery defect and there's a spine tic right below it, the top edge BC is slightly wrinkled or bent, there is a stain of some kind on the BC in the coupon. I can't tell if it's on the book or the scanner (looks like it's on the book), and of course the FC crease.

If I were to go by the Guide this would be a 6.0, but I think there is lots of appeal to help bump it.

But to what? hm hm hm

I've seen a 7.0 slab that had 2 big creases like that on the FC (shrug) so I'd imagine CGC would give 7.0-7.5

For me... 6.5

Thanks All! I'll post the results when I get them. Modok thanks for putting the scams up. If it didn't have that big o'l ugly my grade was 9.0, based on my somewhat limited knowledge, i have/had no idea how that crease affected grading. I must say I do like looking at the scans of my books. There is a lot that I'd miss otherwise.

Phew, so such a crease hammers so much down the grade? Well, it’s understandable, generally speaking creases are the things I hate most.

I can't believe I still don't have this issue- outside of a Marvel Tales reprint.

Me too… :sorry:

If I were to go by the Guide this would be a 6.0, but I think there is lots of appeal to help bump it.

Yes, looks like it has great appeal, the spine breaks are difficult to judge from a scan. If the big crease hammers it down so much, I would say between F+ and F/VF too.