• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hostility between Golden Age collectors and Modern collectors...

87 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to these forums, and comic book collecting in general (after a 20 year hiatus).

Is it common for the GA collectors to consistently bash and hate on Modern comics and Modern collectors?

Sometimes I see these threads in the General Forum and I just wanna go off on these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I just saw another post where someone was asking about modern collectibles, and of course, everyone is pretty much dissing on Moderns. I stood up to it the best I can in the heat of the moment, but I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

Why do they have such a holier-than-thou complex? Heck, I so badly want to say "so, what's new?....oh that's right, NOTHING! hahahaha!!" But I'm more mature than that....Just kidding, Im going to go do that right now.

I think ever generation of fans thinks the comics they like is the pinnacle of the medium at its best and everything after is a perversion of the medium in which they grew up in. It's pretty natural. And the most recent or most popular form of the medium is going to be the one who gets the brunt of it. Considered it a right of passage. Best to ignore the old farts and move on. (thumbs u

I was in that thread, I didn't see any bashing. It's true that a great many of the comics we like aren't worth anything, and it's reasonable for someone to assume that many of the comics that saw a small spike in value within a year of publication can one day be dollar bin fodder. Look at the "Heating up on eBay" thread and see what was hot a year or two ago. That doesn't mean there's not great stories in modern comics, or the potential to make money, but when someone is evaluating a collection of 90's stuff the honest thing to say is there isn't going to be a whole lot of value there.

Look harder:

Now my rant...

I blame the amount of modern age stuff that gets submitted as the reason there is such a back log.

CGC says:

Inexpensive comics, which are not generally submitted for certification, may appear scarce but are not

Most modern stuff is inexpensive! This annoys me to no end....yet I see 9.8 signature collector's thinking they have holy grails out of each modern comic they have. I hate both signature books, and modern stuff,

Considering the amount of silver, golden, and bronze and stuff is finite. What if CGC didn't allow something to be graded until it was at least 5 years old and maybe actually collectible? That would annoy the 9.8 modern signature collector's to no end...but probably make all the golden silver bronze and copper collector's very happy.

I thought we were talking about the "CGC Turnout time" thread :doh:

You got it right, I pointed out a particular thread indirectly, but I was referring to all the hate that goes on in the general comics sub-forum. The one you quoted was spot on and what I was thinking of even more when making this post :)

i find it funny that anyone would "poo poo" on anyone else that collects comic books in the year 2012

our pool of collectors isnt getting bigger in the grand scheme of things as the years go by.

Yeah. They're not any less nerdy than us lol

Guest Reader

Yes, it's battle royale between GA, MA, SS and OA collectors but lets just keep things in perspective...

At the end of the day, we are all getting stuffed in to the locker with our underwear over our head, so might want to pump the brakes a bit. lol