• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hostility between Golden Age collectors and Modern collectors...

87 posts in this topic

I only collect two things: GA and modern books. Meaning I swim in both tanks and you're wrong. I find that it's the BA collectors who tend to be most critical of moderns.

Discuss.

:popcorn:

I see myself primarily as a BA collector, but I enjoy reading stories from all eras. Some of us aren't that snobbish. :)

Personally, I think most gold and silver age books are unreadable. They're cool to collect, but not really my thing when it comes to actually sitting down to read.

Personally, I think most gold and silver age books are unreadable. They're cool to collect, but not really my thing when it comes to actually sitting down to read.
Same here. There's some I like but for the most part they are terrible

I "hear" you on this point. I like to collect a few GA/SA, but reading them feels foreign due to the type of language used. I don't need to read a lot of cursing in comics, but some of my favs (walking dead, etc.) use a lot of language and modern speak. Whereas a Silver Surfer issue from the late 60's sounds dated when read. It's no different than watching Nick-at-Nite and then turning on Seinfeld. Both are cool, just different.

There seem to be two broad types of haters:

(1) Traditional "get off my lawn" mentality - Modern comics are eburgers because they are written for adults, don't have the charm of the old books, slick paper, cross-overs etc. No nostalgia = No value

(2) A second round of speculation on modern comics is leading the comics market to a second crash - Books are skyrocketing in price for no reason, there are too many variants, manufactured collectible status, etc.

While I think that both of these positions merit discussion, there are many who will beat their respective drums until the drumsticks break.

there are many who will beat their respective drums until the drumsticks break.

I saw a video about that during Health class in High School.

(1) Traditional "get off my lawn" mentality - Modern comics are eburgers because they are written for adults, don't have the charm of the old books, slick paper, cross-overs etc. No nostalgia = No value

(2) A second round of speculation on modern comics is leading the comics market to a second crash - Books are skyrocketing in price for no reason, there are too many variants, manufactured collectible status, etc.

While I think that both of these positions merit discussion, there are many who will beat their respective drums until the drumsticks break.

Who would hate broads? Personally I love 'em.

Who would hate broads? Personally I love 'em.

lol

CGC should just quit grading modern comics dreck...

Except DC comics, those are great! :makepoint:

DC Modern has been great the last little while with the NEW 52.

It wasn't sarcasm, I'm a DC guy, you don't have to sell me on those!

I'm relatively new to these forums, and comic book collecting in general (after a 20 year hiatus).

Is it common for the GA collectors to consistently bash and hate on Modern comics and Modern collectors?

Sometimes I see these threads in the General Forum and I just wanna go off on these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I just saw another post where someone was asking about modern collectibles, and of course, everyone is pretty much dissing on Moderns. I stood up to it the best I can in the heat of the moment, but I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

Why do they have such a holier-than-thou complex? Heck, I so badly want to say "so, what's new?....oh that's right, NOTHING! hahahaha!!" But I'm more mature than that....Just kidding, Im going to go do that right now.

Older collectors have always bashed on modern comics. That being said, I may eventually make a blog post where I provide 100 reasons why I think modern comics suck. If I do it, it'll be a point by point issue of what I have a problem with and links to alternative ways to do things. If I come across as insensitive... good. If you are old enough to post here, you are old enough to get over the fact someone disagrees with you.

DG

I'm relatively new to these forums, and comic book collecting in general (after a 20 year hiatus).

Is it common for the GA collectors to consistently bash and hate on Modern comics and Modern collectors?

Sometimes I see these threads in the General Forum and I just wanna go off on these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I just saw another post where someone was asking about modern collectibles, and of course, everyone is pretty much dissing on Moderns. I stood up to it the best I can in the heat of the moment, but I'm getting so tired of seeing that.

Why do they have such a holier-than-thou complex? Heck, I so badly want to say "so, what's new?....oh that's right, NOTHING! hahahaha!!" But I'm more mature than that....Just kidding, Im going to go do that right now.

Older collectors have always bashed on modern comics. That being said, I may eventually make a blog post where I provide 100 reasons why I think modern comics suck. If I do it, it'll be a point by point issue of what I have a problem with and links to alternative ways to do things. If I come across as insensitive... good. If you are old enough to post here, you are old enough to get over the fact someone disagrees with you.

DG

I can think of at least 100 reasons why I wont be reading this but go ahead and type yourself silly.