• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's your one way ticket to midnight - The official Heavy Metal thread!

72 posts in this topic

I've been a fan of Heavy Metal since I was WAY too young to read them.

I had been buying them for years and had stacks of them amongst my comics.

My mom was oblivious to what was in them and I had no reason to hide them.

One day I came home and all my Heavy Metals and Vampirellas were in a stack on the kitchen table. Mom had been picking up my clutter and decided to flip through one.

Needless to say she tossed them in the garbage after completely losing her mind on me. :cry:

Fast forward 30 years and I'm attempting to put a run together from issue #1 through 1982 to start with.

Once I've finished the run in high grade, I'll evaluate if I want to continue this long run.

I've noticed that they're pretty easy to find, but a few random issues have been tougher to find in high grade.

Sit back and enjoy as I share scans of my copies. The artwork in these from cover to cover rivals the best comics and magazines in history.

I'm just glad that they're not so widely collected as, aside from the first handful of issues, they're incredibly affordable. It's a challenging run to put together, but can be done on a small budget. It just takes patience and the willingness to dig through the dusty mag boxes on the floor under the tables.

Feel free to share your own. I love me some Heavy Metal. :cloud9:

Issue #1 April 1977

This copy is from the Heartland Collection. While there were several issues of Heavy Metal in this collection, this was the only one in high grade.

Front cover by Nicollet.

:takeit:

130628.jpg.7247d0cdb3be4e05251690373edfd88c.jpg

I'm missing issues #2 and #3.

Skipping to issue #4. A stunning copy that I'll never have to upgrade. :applause:

Wraparound cover by Moebius.

130629.jpg.bd3712eea04398d0711a1192729b51d6.jpg

Issue #6 has a silver background and artwork by Duillet.

A tough issue to find in high grade. The metallic silver ink picks up fingerprints easily and shows every tiny flaw.

When you find one in high grade, it's visually one of the most stunning of the run.

130631.jpg.c86c1aa475814e1f4b34376597158582.jpg

Intermission while I scan 1979. :popcorn:

I'm starting to get the idea that I'm the only person on the boards who likes this title. lol