• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Convention for collectors?

8 posts in this topic

Best convention for collectors used to be the San Diego Con (in early-mid 90s), but the dealers pavilion seems to be shrinking every year...Perhaps it isn't worth it anymore due to convention fees...dealers can just use Ebay or other websites. As conveient as the internet has made collecting, I do miss the convention days. What is the best con now (strictly for collecting- not the promotional give-away stuff!) Which convention has the MOST dealers???

Best convention for collectors used to be the San Diego Con (in early-mid 90s), but the dealers pavilion seems to be shrinking every year ...Perhaps it isn't worth it anymore due to convention fees...dealers can just use Ebay or other websites. As conveient as the internet has made collecting, I do miss the convention days. What is the best con now (strictly for collecting- not the promotional give-away stuff!) Which convention has the MOST dealers???

I am not sure I totally agree with that statement. I have been to almost every SD con since '86 and while I think that it does appear that way, I think that the rest of the convention is getting SO much bigger, that it makes the hard core comics dealer area seem smaller. A few well known dealers over the years have stopped going, but I also see new dealers taking their spots.

I went to Chicago in '02, and I have to say that it made me anxious for San Diego. The Chicago Con dealers area seemed much smaller than the San Diego Con, and the con itself lacked the energy and programming of San Diego.