• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

This was all already gone over in the digital comics thread and it didn't end well but I believe it would either have no effect or it would actually have a negative effect on sales as a whole. Piracy/file-sharing isn't the enemy.

Btw, I just went to a torrent site, found a torrent for Think Tank #3 and it said this: "Downloaded 15 times." :ohnoez:

What are you doing on a torrent site? Just browsing? :)

it would be interesting to see, if piracy dried up tomorrow, what the increase in sales would look like...if it changed at all. Who knows, it might even drop.

hm

Piracy does increase exposure. I wonder if (I'm sure there is) there is data available on piracy conversion to legitimate purchases (ie: pirate #1, buy the trade)? Interesting...

There is only 1 independent study I am aware of that studied piracy and its effects on the entertainment industry and it concluded that piracy did not have a negative effect on sales.

If you want more anecdotal evidence there are loads of creators who are pro piracy. See Neil Gaiman:

Paul Coelho has had a similar experience. "As an author, I should be defending ‘intellectual property’, but I’m not. Pirates of the world, unite and pirate everything I’ve ever written!"

Do you know what's funny? That makes me want to buy his books :grin:

This was all already gone over in the digital comics thread and it didn't end well but I believe it would either have no effect or it would actually have a negative effect on sales as a whole. Piracy/file-sharing isn't the enemy.

Btw, I just went to a torrent site, found a torrent for Think Tank #3 and it said this: "Downloaded 15 times." :ohnoez:

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was searching for Think Tank to see how many times it was downloaded...

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was searching for Think Tank to see how many times it was downloaded...

Just kiddin' around fella :baiting:

I'm sure the site you looked at is the only torrent site available, thus offering conclusive evidence regarding the tabled discussion (still just kiddin' around fella :baiting:lol lol

I can wait for the #4 cover, but it's interesting to think how viral it will go if it did drop here first.

bubblecool.com and his lurkers are here, they would post it immediately, and steal the thunder and credit.

I can wait for the #4 cover, but it's interesting to think how viral it will go if it did drop here first.

bubblecool.com and his lurkers are here, they would post it immediately, and steal the thunder and credit.

Must not be that kewl because I've never been to the website (or maybe I'm not that cool - :o )