• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I don't know much of anything..never been able to go to a convention...only collect for myself....don't have a LCS and use this site to figure what might be a good book to try. Nowhere Men being one of them..then some of the comic creators start interacting with their fans here (Which is AWESOME) and drum up support and excitement for their books...then people are surprised and outraged when collectors get excited to own the latest variant? I appreciated Menaces efforts but understand the problems it caused...

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I agree with this, and frankly, the profiteering going on is making me a little sick of this hobby. When it gets to the point where speculators and flippers are buying entire stocks of hot books just to resell, and average joe comic collector can't even buy an issue at a store —on the day it comes out—it makes me question what the point of it all is.

Edited by mattbird

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I agree with this, and frankly, the profiteering going on is making me a little sick of this hobby. When it gets to the point where speculators and flippers are buying entire stocks of hot books just to resell, and average joe comic collector can't even buy an issue at a store —on the day it comes out—it makes me question what the point of it all is.

The secondary market is just that....secondary. The primary market should always get 1st dibs. That being said CBLDF was getting access to funds thanks to Menace.

Also it's easy to comment now but I don't recall seeing comments like this when the thread was actually alive and well. 2c

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Isn't that how everything is? You look at people who collect sneakers that camp out for hours to day for certain pairs and there will always be people there to sell for profit. Some people even sell there spot in line without even picking up the product. They sell out halfway through the line.

LCS offer pull lists that anyone can take advantage of to get a copy. And everyone knows about Midtown and everywhere else offering previews two months in advance. It is your fault for not doing that. The limit of how many copies there are is a huge appeal to certain issues. You look at all the variants and they sell out quick.

For what it's worth, I agree.

You guys can bet from now on, Image will be rethinking the way exclusives are distributed pre/at the show. We've got the publisher's attention now...

OMG, these are true words that you speak. I would almost bet that they do not broadcast exclusives to the public. Just find out what they are when you get there.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Isn't that how everything is? You look at people who collect sneakers that camp out for hours to day for certain pairs and there will always be people there to sell for profit. Some people even sell there spot in line without even picking up the product. They sell out halfway through the line.

LCS offer pull lists that anyone can take advantage of to get a copy. And everyone knows about Midtown and everywhere else offering previews two months in advance. It is your fault for not doing that. The limit of how many copies there are is a huge appeal to certain issues. You look at all the variants and they sell out quick.

Bingo. I'm a sneaker head and I collect jordans. This happens with everything that has hype or is hot. People who wear a size 8 in Jordan 11s will still buy a size 18 if their size is out, just so they can flip it on the secondary market for a profit. It is what it is.

Hahaha, this thread has now gone to tennis shoes. While I don't argue the logic - its a valid point - but the degradation in context astounds.

If someone could kick said dead horse (et la Revival cover 1b) with said tennis shoes, my world would be complete.

Mind you, I can't stop reading... :)

Anything collectible is bought and sold and bought and sold again.

Period.

Once everyone wraps their head around that, things will be better.

I'm glad the issue was resolved the way it was and hope this has been a learning experience for many. Frankly, if someone offered you a book you wanted in a legitimate sale, why wouldn't you buy it? Granted there are extenuating circumstances here, but this all seemed normal until it got insane and morphed into what it became.

I have never been to a con - would love to go, but alas - and I would be upset if I didn't get a book as an attendee.

We can keep talking about it, but I think plenty has been said on the subject. Lessons learned. Next week, it will be forgotten (with the exception of the first one that goes for insane $$$ on eBay lol )

Regarding Mania Markets:

Someone asked me (more than once) is this a bubble? I think - generally - more people are coming into comics of late and that is what is driving the market. Will the 'bubble' burst. Of course. When people like me and you walk away and start collecting stamps, or vintage art, or whatever kookie thing you can name.

R

I think comics in general are going from sub-culture to mainstream culture. In large part to The Walking Dead. But also Image is it's on little sub-culture in the comic world. You don't see pages and pages on the New 52 thread of Batman #11 or whatever variant is pricey now being sold out right away. Image is limited, so it has appeal.

Respect the con attendees, respect the creators, respect the comic book publishers, respect the limits at your local LCSs.... respect everyone.

+1. Very well said.

:applause:

You should ramble more often. (thumbs u

What about when a dealer drops a huge stack of books for SS in front of a creator during a public signing? Is that respectful to creators? Or the con attendees in line behind them?

:baiting:

Seriously, though, where do you draw the line? (shrug)

I can't stop myself from wanting my silver keys, but agree with TBP, the en mass production and disregard for quality stories drives me away from most of the new BigBloatedTwo. That said, I've given almost everything in the new Now roll-out a chance, and continue to. Nothing outside of a very select few is worth it to me.