• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I agree with this, and frankly, the profiteering going on is making me a little sick of this hobby. When it gets to the point where speculators and flippers are buying entire stocks of hot books just to resell, and average joe comic collector can't even buy an issue at a store —on the day it comes out—it makes me question what the point of it all is.

It's not good for the hobby or collectors in the long term. But it's also inevitable. Speculation has been a reality for the hobby since the late Silver Age. We've seen how this has played out time and time again. I'm still buying and reading-- and even buying art for books I really like-- but I don't do it with the expectation that there will be a market down the road, after the speculator slash-and-burn. The only point of all this is just to enjoy the work.

It's not good for the hobby or collectors in the long term. But it's also inevitable. Speculation has been a reality for the hobby since the late Silver Age. We've seen how this has played out time and time again.

No one says anything when someone with a huge bank roll buys a SA key for $4K (desperate seller) and lists it for $8K. Or when the same folks buy a bunch of raw keys, slab 'em, and sell 'em for 3x the $$$

It is what it is. As they say, don't hate the player hate the game. :preach:

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I agree with this, and frankly, the profiteering going on is making me a little sick of this hobby. When it gets to the point where speculators and flippers are buying entire stocks of hot books just to resell, and average joe comic collector can't even buy an issue at a store —on the day it comes out—it makes me question what the point of it all is.

It's not good for the hobby or collectors in the long term. But it's also inevitable. Speculation has been a reality for the hobby since the late Silver Age. We've seen how this has played out time and time again. I'm still buying and reading-- and even buying art for books I really like-- but I don't do it with the expectation that there will be a market down the road, after the speculator slash-and-burn. The only point of all this is just to enjoy the work.

90% of them will end up on eBay anyway.

Hey, there are readers and there are buyers and sellers, It's like saying houses are for living in, not to flip for a profit.

If this bothers Image or any other publisher over the fact that they want to make a comic a convention exclusive, then get upset over the fact that people flip them,

then they should stop making them. They print up 500 copies and what happens when more than 500 people want them? The price goes up. Love it or Hate it.

Times are tough, people are just trying to find a way to make a few extra bucks.

I think comics in general are going from sub-culture to mainstream culture.

I think - generally - more people are coming into comics of late and that is what is driving the market.

Evidence?

When people like me and you walk away and start collecting stamps, or vintage art, or whatever kookie thing you can name.

The fact that comics are being compared to shoes and stamps and there's talk about people walking away to "collect" whatever next pops up on the market as "hot" kind of sums up what I find distasteful here. I know, I know, I'm on a collector's forum but the way the financial rewards of buying comics WAY overshadows any love for the medium at all saddens me.

I'm new here. I found this place when after spending too much at xmas I went to find out if any of my comics were worth anything so I could help my bank balance a little. I've stuck around because it was fascinating to me. But I'm starting to think maybe it isn't for me.

I love comics. So when I hear people rejoicing at low print runs and refusing to buy a book just because it's a mini and therefore unlikely to ever be worth any money... or sometimes even not buying any book that isn't Image, I kind of despair. This is one of the most active comics forums on the internet and for me, it sucks that it is driven by money.

What about when a dealer drops a huge stack of books for SS in front of a creator during a public signing? Is that respectful to creators?

No.

Or the con attendees in line behind them?

No.

I think - generally - more people are coming into comics of late and that is what is driving the market.

Evidence?

When people like me and you walk away and start collecting stamps, or vintage art, or whatever kookie thing you can name.

The fact that comics are being compared to shoes and stamps and there's talk about people walking away to "collect" whatever next pops up on the market as "hot" kind of sums up what I find distasteful here. I know, I know, I'm on a collector's forum but the way the financial rewards of buying comics WAY overshadows any love for the medium at all saddens me.

I'm new here. I found this place when after spending too much at xmas I went to find out if any of my comics were worth anything so I could help my bank balance a little. I've stuck around because it was fascinating to me. But I'm starting to think maybe it isn't for me.

I love comics. So when I hear people rejoicing at low print runs and refusing to buy a book just because it's a mini and therefore unlikely to ever be worth any money... or sometimes even not buying any book that isn't Image, I kind of despair. This is one of the most active comics forums on the internet and for me, it sucks that it is driven by money.

What about when a dealer drops a huge stack of books for SS in front of a creator during a public signing? Is that respectful to creators?

No.

Or the con attendees in line behind them?

No.

Why not? That's what Upper Deck does to Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan..They sit at a table and sign stacks of photos of themselves all day long for resell.

Evidence?

This post makes no sense to me. You buy comics because you like to read them. Okay. You view it as an art, a story, whatever you view it is as. But there is appeal for collecting something else no one else has. Watch the Comic Con episode IV movie when he is trying to sell that comic for %500,000 that is slabbed and unreadable. This is how it is now. Sneakes, stamps, beanie babies, yoyos, Pokemon cards. It cycles.

Evidence?

Evidence? - Pure opinion (I have just as much right as anyone to offer it - preach). But, with the tremendous amount of people going to cons, the rise in pop culture movies and memorabilia related to comics, and shows like TWD, yeah I think comics are on the rise.

And NO, not everyone up here is purely money driven. I have an extensive 'reading' pull list every month. But, you're right, this forum is a lot of speculator talk, which adds another layer to the conversation. Go over to the coin collecting society (see right panel) and see what they are talking about.

Collecting means spending $$$$. Collectors also sell items and spend more $$$$$ .

Welcome again. :foryou:

R