• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I'm using a mac

I wont hold it against you :)

I'm one of THOSE people. I was a PC my whole life. Then I bought a mac without ever even trying one out (jump first, ask questions later).

I'm sold. Mac, iPhone, iPad.

Both Mac and PC have good and bad points...

Hmm

Thought Bubble 9.2-9.4 - slabbed or raw?

Should be more 9.4

Will be upgrading to a better copy at some point in the near future hopefully, but I can't decide if I should send this for grading with the batch I'm getting ready to send.

Edited by wushugushu

I have been active on these boards since 2002. I have seen some great people come and go, I've seen some amazing collections....Some incredible wisdom and lots and lots of behavior that is less than be desired.

I know I will take flack for this, but comics and comic book collecting definitely brings to mind a certain stereotype. For the most part, I am sorry....It's true. There is a huge part of the comic book community is very socially awkward. These are traditionally children with narrow comfort zones, poor social pragmatics and in some cases, personality disorders...Now these people are adults who are able to sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off.

Before I get stoned, let me say : There are some incredibly smart, knowledgable people who are great. They look out for the "other guy" and try to contribute positively to the hobby....

kimik

Oakman

BronzeBruce13

ItsjustRyan

Spacey

ThoseBackPages

Of course, this is just a short list off the top of my head based on what I've read...There are lots more...I just wanted to give examples.

I think that there is a dramatic difference between what is an opinion and what is a personal attack. Lots of misunderstandings and flame wars come out of someone having an opinion and someone taking it as a personal attack.

Something I've learned is that we are all entitled to an opinion, whether it's popular or not. If someone loves Adam Hughes art, with his overly drawn big breasted woman and tiny waists, then good for them. I happen to dislike the style. I have seen :slapfight: break out almost to the point of being restraining order worthy because someone thinks that the quick "doodle" that some artist did is brilliant, but someone turned their thumbs down.

How is this wrong ? -

Of course, having a difference in views does not give someone the right to insult or threaten. I have no problem with "agreeing to disagree".....Like about movies or tv shows or anything.

I have no issues with sharing information, but this needs to be done with discretion. Alot of collectors want the privacy and don't want to let "people know that they have this OA or this collection of books". I have to respect their wishes.

One of the best sources of information is the Golden Age Forums and to a lesser degree, the Silver Age. The modern section has a different mentality. It's such a larger pool of collectors, so the "odds" that you'll get :screwy: is higher, but so are the chances for positive things.

I think what JJonsepr needs to keep in mind and others too is that "You can't control what other people do".....All you have control over is what YOU do.

This is a hard thing to absorb but once you realize it, in a visceral way, only then can you just block that stuff out.

I don't respond to people attempting to poke me. It happened recently and I just nip it...And I don't go back and forth. If you don't feed the fire, it goes out...

Just my soapbox moment and I am stepping down... :fear:

Thanks, Michael for including me in the list. You are one of the good boardies in my book as well. (thumbs u

over 110 posts to catch up on.

nice to see some vindication on those NWM variants. Hopefully my rants at the time saved some people some money.

Also, I have all the printings of that Excalibur book that appeared in here :D none slabbed of course, but still fun to see.

As for the NWM/PP debate. PP will not crash until at least the motion comic comes out. After that, everyone is just casting darts blind. Up until it, it will meander.

As for NWM being blown up on the secondary market in 3 months. I disagree with that too. If it were to happen that soon, it would only be because the entire modern market collapsed, or the second leg of the world economic collapse hit.

With the amount of speculative money swirling around, none of the series that have caught any heat are going to completely rollover and die. Obviously the NWM variants were selling for unsustainable values, but thats very different than the whole series bellying up on the secondary market.

I didn't want this to get lost, I couldn't have said it better.

Variants or no Variants I still love this book.

I just bought two more slabs and I don't have plans of stopping.

I'm jacked for #4 :headbang:

Wushu keep it up your collection is looking awesome!! (thumbs u

I know I will take flack for this, but comics and comic book collecting definitely brings to mind a certain stereotype. For the most part, I am sorry....It's true. There is a huge part of the comic book community is very socially awkward. These are traditionally children with narrow comfort zones, poor social pragmatics and in some cases, personality disorders...Now these people are adults who are able to sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off.

Wow. We have a psychiatrist here diagnosing comic book fans on the internet.

Thank you for your statement. It reinforces my post.

Must be the fault of my newly diagnosed personality disorder.

First you say to a bunch of comic book fans there is a "huge part" of us who are socially awkward, finishing with diagnosing some of us with personality disorders. Then in your last sentence you say these people "sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off". Maybe if you want a reinforcement for your post you just need to look in the mirror, doc hm

Wow. We have a psychiatrist here diagnosing comic book fans on the internet.

Thank you for your statement. It reinforces my post.

Must be the fault of my newly diagnosed personality disorder.

First you say to a bunch of comic book fans there is a "huge part" of us who are socially awkward, finishing with diagnosing some of us with personality disorders. Then in your last sentence you say these people "sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off". Maybe if you want a reinforcement for your post you just need to look in the mirror, doc hm

He does work in medicine, genius.

How many comic stores have you walked into over the years and the people working there barely speak 2 words? I've said "Hey, Do you have this"? What do they say? "If it's not over there, then I don't have it" then they turn away and keep watching tv and ignore me. I mean really, Doesn't take a PH.D to see that some of these guys don't have any social skills.

BTW, He didn't say YOU have a personality disorder, so put your ego away for now and you can play with it after you eat your vegetables.

He does work in medicine, genius.

How many comic stores have you walked into over the years and the people working there barely speak 2 words? I've said "Hey, Do you have this"? What do they say? "If it's not over there, then I don't have it" then they turn away and keep watching tv and ignore me. I mean really, Doesn't take a PH.D to see that some of these guys don't have any social skills.

BTW, He didn't say YOU have a personality disorder, so put your ego away for now and you can play with it after you eat your vegetables.

How many times have you been in a dvd shop or a music shop and had someone say "If it's not over there, then I don't have it". I've never noticed any difference between customer service in a comic book shop or any other kind of shop really. And I know a lot of comic book fans and I can't think of even one that's socially awkward.

I'm simply taking issue with the way he took a big brush and generalised the majority of comic book folk like that. Just like I'd take issue with any daft generalisation. But he's been on the board for a trillion years so people like you are up his .

As for a my psychiatrist remark, that was aimed at his internet diagnosis of personality disorders.