• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

If the lulls are too frequent and too long people lose interest as the story loses momentum. It has happened to plenty of books in the past. Collecting what you like is great advice and I follow it myself, but you can only collect books that actually get released. A consistent 2-3 month wait inbetween issues, particularly early in the run, can kill even very good titles in terms of reader interest and that ripples into back issue prices (which can further drive people to drop a title).

Issues 5 (May 15) and 6 (May 29) will be released just two weeks apart. And then the TPB drops in July to the eminently reasonable tune of $9.99! Get excited!

I agree with Pie, books do fall into a lull. But this book has a lot going for it. I agree that the NWM #1s are a hold. The Thought Bubble and regular print #1 being the best of the bunch.

Edited by Manifesto

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nowhere-Men-1-NM-RARE-COMIC-1-of-just-500-Thought-Bubble-Variant-/230973035274?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Comic_Magazines_ET&hash=item35c710d30a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOWHERE-MEN-1-THOUGHT-BUBBLE-VARIANT-IMAGE-COMICS-RARE-/251266279399?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item3a80a327e7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nowhere-Men-1-NM-RARE-COMIC-1-of-just-500-Thought-Bubble-Variant-/230968197146?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Comic_Magazines_ET&hash=item35c6c7001a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nowhere-Men-Thought-Bubble-Variant-1-N-M-500-print-run-/330908817219?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d0bb3d743

Maybe this is why someone isn't posting. Take the money and run

ALL GPA 9.8 results:

Thought Bubble dropped from $762 to $410 in 6 weeks and falling like a rock.

CBDLF $177 down to $68

COMICSPRO $$173 down to $98

#1 2nd print $68 down to $19

Plain ol #1 $175 down to $48

Beware the Emperors new clothes.This is officially a disaster if you paid a high price for ANY copy of this book.

I am genuinely sorry for those newbies taken for a ride, but some of us did try to warn you.

Sell while you can to minimise your losses. Good Luck.

I rarely comment on these type of things, but feel it is in order.

First, I just sold my TB 9.8 for almost $500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=251256929720#ht_1285wt_699

Second: This is probably the best comic of 2013, perhaps only second to EOW imo. Yes, I think prices shot up to fast but the writing is the most clever out there. I always like to see a slow gradual climb with books I like, but so what this is the exception.

For all you chicken littles out there, please sell away your copies. But I will state this: IF you think the president of Image comics doesn't get this done into a tv show, or film at some point in 2014/2015, you're sadly mistaken.

I always believe read and collect what you like. And I do understand those selling out. (I had 2x TB 9.8's, am keeping my other). But I'm with JJ and firmly believe in this title. It's simply too clever not too.

There is still a lot of momentum for this book. 500Club and I were selling #1 1st prints this past weekend at the Calgary Expo for $25 - $30 apiece raw to collectors (a couple of small sales to other dealers for 3 or 4 books at $22.50 and another at $25 apiece), and #2 1sts for $15 - $20.

I will admit that I am one of the people that have sold off a lot of their hoard, though. I moved 15 or 16 copies of #1 (1st) raw to pick up Silver and Bronze. I believe I only have 10 - 12 copies left now. :sorry:

However, I do not feel bad at all for the people chasing 9.8s and seeing the prices drop as more supply comes onto the market. Whenever I see modern 9.8s spike I just shake my head and think "WTF are these suckers thinking?" - there are a ton of other copies ready to be pressed, slabbed and flipped on any modern.

Edited by kimik

@ Erndog

Don't know if yer serious or not but care to give some examples of why you think it's sucky?

See issues 1 through 4.

It's brutal. Painfully brutal on almost all aspects (though I do like the art and it's simplicity). I couldn't wait to get through it on each read and by the 4th issue, halfway through, I almost threw up my arms and tossed in the white towel.

It tries so hard to be a modern Watchmen it's ridculous. I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the scientists or World Corp or the random banners they throw into the middle of issues. I don't care about jumping around between the past and present (sometimes that was so confusing) and I surely don't care about what happened with the scientists from the inception of World Corp until now. I thought there was a lot of potential with the quarantine but this book didn't do it for me. The first issue was good but after that, I yawned, speed read, scrolled and suffered.

People are entirely sucked into the Image craze but this book has easily been the worst read of the new wave and I think way to many people are 'enjoying' it by force rather than truly liking what they are reading.

being a big Beatles fan, it adds to my enjoyment of the book

I like it because it's cool, good art, good story. But, I respect the nay-sayers. It's tons-o-fun to see where the dust settles :whee:

Much agreed.

I like it because it's cool, good art, good story. But, I respect the nay-sayers. It's tons-o-fun to see where the dust settles :whee:

Think Tank over erthing.

But in reality I think issue #4 was weak, so now people are reflecting back on issue #1-3 and picking out the problems.

@ Erndog

Thank's for the response. I don't see how it's trying to be Watchmen tho.

But I can see the confusion in the time jumping. I've heard other people mention that too. I like going back to figure out whos who like that long hair in the pimpin white suit is the same old crusty bald dude in the future with the glasses.

I love the discussions on what to do with the problems especially in the first 2 pages of issue #2.

Anyone else catch the typo in the end of issue #1?

Think Tank over erthing.

But in reality I think issue #4 was weak, so now people are reflecting back on issue #1-3 and picking out the problems.

(worship)THINK TANK

NWM is a great series, but we live in a love/hate, black/white, on/off, in/out comic universe where things change quickly. Since NWM 3-4 came out, Jupiter's Legacy, Ten Grand, EoW, and other titles have come into the fold.

It's easy to for the focus to shift elsewhere when you are not in people's faces all the time. Saga has built a huge following, so I'm not worried about the break till August. But what about Todd? What about Bedlam?

I don't think #4 was weak, but I did want to find out what's up with the dude on the plane (teeth). Looking forward to #5

E.S.-we summon you from the depths of Image.....bring us our fix of NWM that we so direly need.

To get this to work, everyone has to say E.S. into the mirror three times. Hopefully he'll show up like Candyman or Bloody Mary if y'all pitch in.

I don't know if it is flopping. Just only so much to talk about between issues.

Also, 100-200 pages of this thread were people arguing about the presale of the NWM #1 varaint.