• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Nobody is questioning the quality of NWM, just the erratic and somewhat delayed publishing. People Speculators are fickle as has been pointed out several times. Their attention spans aren't long enough to hold fast to a series that appears to have disappeared.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup:

Most regular comic book buyers couldn't care less if a book is delayed for a month.

Bull-. Nothing makes me stomp my feet more than a delay

I think e.s. and his team know what they are doing. I mean they have been slowly creeping up in market share. And DC has been dropping.

But that's a commentary on Image itself, not NWM.

I suspect the delay isn't about e.s., though. My guess is that it's art related.

Nobody is questioning the quality of NWM, just the erratic and somewhat delayed publishing. People Speculators are fickle as has been pointed out several times. Their attention spans aren't long enough to hold fast to a series that appears to have disappeared.

Most regular comic book buyers couldn't care less if a book is delayed for a month.

This is just wrong. The speculators left the building a long time ago on NWM and are now chasing books like Jupiter's Legacy, EoW, or the next "hot" #1. The fast and big money has already been made on this book. Speculators were slabbing raws for 9.8s and flipping them to the collectors for $200, not the other way around.

Most comic buyers will look elsewhere if a book is delayed - out of sight = out of mind. It is even worse if the book is only 3 issues in, has a minor delay in releasing #4, and then a long delay in releasing #5.

This is just wrong. The speculators left the building a long time ago on NWM and are now chasing books like Jupiter's Legacy, EoW, or the next "hot" #1. The fast and big money has already been made on this book. Speculators were slabbing raws for 9.8s and flipping them to the collectors for $200, not the other way around.

Most comic buyers will look elsewhere if a book is delayed - out of sight = out of mind. It is even worse if the book is only 3 issues in, has a minor delay in releasing #4, and then a long delay in releasing #5.

Most LCS' get far more copies of indie books for pull list customers than they do to put on the rack - there are exceptions, sure, but in general that's just how it is. If you have NWM on your pull list, a 1 month delay means nothing.

It's crazy how people keep on saying that these minor delays are somehow killing books - like Mind the Gap somehow suffered because of the delays in getting the first couple of issues out. No, it suffered because it was a bad book with a convoluted, uninteresting story that was going nowhere.

People are chasing jupiters legacy? lol
You didn't like JL? (shrug)

Isn't it a mini? I bought a #1 and will be irritated if it is a mini as I only follow ongoing series.

Todd

Think Tank

Mind MGMT

Were also mini's. To each his or her own. Some of the mini's have turned into great series. Also, some true mini's are worthwhile reads.

my 2c

People are chasing jupiters legacy? lol
You didn't like JL? (shrug)

Isn't it a mini? I bought a #1 and will be irritated if it is a mini as I only follow ongoing series.

Todd

Think Tank

Mind MGMT

Were also mini's. To each his or her own. Some of the mini's have turned into great series. Also, some true mini's are worthwhile reads.

my 2c

I'm happy to read a mini, just via TPB. I prefer to follow ongoings monthly with floppies. It's just how I roll.

Most LCS' get far more copies of indie books for pull list customers than they do to put on the rack - there are exceptions, sure, but in general that's just how it is. If you have NWM on your pull list, a 1 month delay means nothing.

It's crazy how people keep on saying that these minor delays are somehow killing books - like Mind the Gap somehow suffered because of the delays in getting the first couple of issues out. No, it suffered because it was a bad book with a convoluted, uninteresting story that was going nowhere.

Ask your LCS how many extra copies of NWM #1 they had in total, or for any other uproven Indie #1 prior to the big price run ups at the end of the year. Heck, even ask them how many copies of Uber #0 or Helheim #1 they ordered. Most will say the same thing - they will order a few extra copies (5-10 for small stores, 10-20 for larger ones) outside of what they have on customer's pull lists and that is it. They do not take chances on books unless they are certain it will sell big. This is why most indies see a healthy drop from #1 to #2 - #1s will sell to speculators but nobody cares about #2 unless #1 is a decent book.

As far as pull lists, again, ask your LCS how many people are dropping titles that are delayed. We had two boardies post about conversations they had/heard at their LCS and the delay is hurting NWM. Regardless of how much better the book is, Bedlam still sells more copies. doh!

If you look at the sales figures, #4 increased by what, 70% over #3? If I were Image, I would have kept #5 on time, heck even pushed it up a bit, to keep building on that momentum. A jump like that is huge for an indie title that was in the 7400 range for the previous issue.

I asked my LCS about it today. They haven't noticed any drop off in readers talking about the book, purchasing it, or removing it from their pull lists.

In fact, people keep mentioning it. For instance, passers by, "have you read Nowhere Men?" "Do you have Nowhere Men?" stuff like that.