• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your SS Philosophy?

33 posts in this topic

Would love to see a rundown of everyones overarching personal SS rules... I'm sure people have them...

Are you a...

...no Sigs on high grade SA keys?

...only want sigs on original books?

...only want sigs if I can meet the person to get it?

etc...

So what are the guidelines/philosophy you work from?

Guest Reader

Nothing is sacred for the right signature. I've had 9.8 SA like Iron Man 1, Nick Fury 1 and Cap 100 signed as well as a 9.6 GA Church pedigree.

Writer and artist only for that specific issue. Not Stan or even the creator of the character. If Ian Fleming were alive, I wouldn't have him sign a James Bond novel by Gardner. I know, apples/oranges but still part of my philosophy.

Sketch covers do not apply to those rules of course.

I think my philosophy changes as I go. Originally I only wanted books where I got to meet the person signing. Then I wanted only high grade. Now I think I am at the point where I will allow others to get the autographs for me just for the fact I can enjoy the book when it finally makes it's way back to me and it doesn't necessarily have to be high grade because if I settle for a slightly lower grade I can afford to get more sigs. I do however still have a limit that I like to stay above 9.0 on books if at all possible.

I used to only collect SS books from actors/creators that I got to meet personally. That was where the fun was. But with the economy and expense to travel to the shows, it makes more sense to have someone else do the legwork for a little fee. Also, I have met people who I have become good friends with that I trust with prepping and handling my books. Makes a big difference knowing they are in good hands.

Guest Reader
Not a fan. ;)

But we're happy to have you in the Signature section. Hang out long enough and who knows? ;)

+1 :foryou:

Well I do have one Sig. series book,but that one is an exception for me. (thumbs u

A Frazetta Creepy?

Not a fan. ;)

But we're happy to have you in the Signature section. Hang out long enough and who knows? ;)

+1 :foryou:

Well I do have one Sig. series book,but that one is an exception for me. (thumbs u

You know you want us to get your Hulk #1 signed by Stan Lee. I might even be able to get him to sketch something really horrible and poorly placed amazing on the cover. :insane:

My philosophy is reminiscent of Pokemon - Gotta catch 'em all!

If there is a series or a creator that I like, I want to have SS. If there was a movie or TV tie-in and I enjoyed it, and there was a comic adaptation, I want SS of the actors. If someone is a historic or important figure in comics history, even if I didn't like their work, I want SS. It has gotten to the point that if they did anything even remotely noteworthy (and I do mean remotely) I want SS.

I don't have a hard and fast set of rules. I prefer that the signer had something to do with the actual book I'm getting signed, an exception to that would be if it is an actor portraying the character prominently featured on the cover. Another exception is when you have a particularly special issue or special cover. I'll have someone unrelated to the book, like a character's creator sign it.

For example, I wouldn't have Stan Lee sign Amazing Spider-Man #387, other than creating Spidey, he as nothing to do with it and it's not a particularly special cover. I did get him to sign ASM #657, though. It's a nice Spidey cover and has the FF symbol in the sky, making it a cool cover that ties two great books together and I had the co-creator of both books sign it.

I still need a nice Chris Evans in the movie Cap outfit....

my philosophy is no sigs on high grade SA books

no sigs on low grade SA books (since they probably dont present well)

no sigs on high $$ books.

I like getting "creator" signatures on "iconic" covers so like MedicAR's example an iconic Spidey cover is just fine for Stan Lee even if he didnt write that particular book.

Im trying to get the "iconic" names of Comics that are still among us on nice representational books from their best known titles... Infantino on a Flash, Adams on a Detective/Green Lantern...etc I honestly get a little sad thinking about the creators who died before SS, since authentication is tough prior to SS for some of these guys

If there is a series or a creator that I like, I want to have SS. If there was a movie or TV tie-in and I enjoyed it, and there was a comic adaptation, I want SS of the actors. If someone is a historic or important figure in comics history, even if I didn't like their work, I want SS. It has gotten to the point that if they did anything even remotely noteworthy (and I do mean remotely) I want SS.

You got da FEVER!

my philosophy is no sigs on high grade SA books

no sigs on low grade SA books (since they probably dont present well)

no sigs on high $$ books.

I like getting "creator" signatures on "iconic" covers so like MedicAR's example an iconic Spidey cover is just fine for Stan Lee even if he didnt write that particular book.

Im trying to get the "iconic" names of Comics that are still among us on nice representational books from their best known titles... Infantino on a Flash, Adams on a Detective/Green Lantern...etc I honestly get a little sad thinking about the creators who died before SS, since authentication is tough prior to SS for some of these guys

I totally agree with this. I'm sad I missed out on getting to meet a lot of them first of all, but to have an SS book to represent them would have been cool to me.

I would rather sell the SS books and get SS photo's. The problem is CGC only allows this at major cons which usually have crappy media guests. Maybe someday they will let caws get signed photos at non cgc shows.

:roflmao:

:roflmao:

It's funny because it is true.