• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Eric Powell Cover Acquisition and Question

13 posts in this topic

Earlier this week I was lucky enough to pick up Eric Powell's cover to ACTION COMICS #855, which kicked off 2007's Escape From Bizarro World arc. It's a great piece, with no small amount of sentimental value to me personally (even if it isn't a Green Lantern piece!).

Action Comics #855 Cover

I acquired the art directly from the artist, which surprised me a bit. I noticed on CAF that many of Eric's GOON (and other) pieces aren't accounted for, and was wondering if he might still have them in his collection as well. Has anyone ever had any luck contacting him directly to see if any of these pieces are available and for sale, or is it best to wait until they're made available through his online store?

Good question. I tried contacting the store in the past, and didn't receive a response. Perhaps that's answer enough to my question--I'd just hate to lose out on a specific piece if there's another way to contact him (without being annoying) that I hadn't figure out.

Earlier this week I was lucky enough to pick up Eric Powell's cover to ACTION COMICS #855, which kicked off 2007's Escape From Bizarro World arc. It's a great piece, with no small amount of sentimental value to me personally (even if it isn't a Green Lantern piece!).

Action Comics #855 Cover

I acquired the art directly from the artist, which surprised me a bit. I noticed on CAF that many of Eric's GOON (and other) pieces aren't accounted for, and was wondering if he might still have them in his collection as well. Has anyone ever had any luck contacting him directly to see if any of these pieces are available and for sale, or is it best to wait until they're made available through his online store?

This one? Or was this seller just bullcrappin' and didn't own the piece?

Eric has sold a ton of pages, though there are some I've heard he has perhaps kept (even asking Eric directly about a particular page, he wasn't able to tell me if he had it or had sold it). And I wouldn't use CAF as the end-all resource for putting together an inventory of what Goon pieces have been sold. My four pages (one of which is a cover) are not on CAF.

Action Comics #855 Cover

As someone who's bought a lot of his work over the years, especially THE GOON, I have a decent idea of what he's sold. A lot of it is actually out there, even if you don't see it on CAF. He does hold his favorite pieces, though, and he tends not to sell his painted covers. He very rarely sells direct via mail; 99% of the art he sells is at shows and the occasional eBay auction. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

And congrats on that cover!

Action Comics #855 Cover

This one? Or was this seller just bullcrappin' and didn't own the piece?

Eric has sold a ton of pages, though there are some I've heard he has perhaps kept (even asking Eric directly about a particular page, he wasn't able to tell me if he had it or had sold it). And I wouldn't use CAF as the end-all resource for putting together an inventory of what Goon pieces have been sold. My four pages (one of which is a cover) are not on CAF.

I saw that listing, and it definitely raised an eyebrow. Whatever he was selling, it wasn't Powell's original art to the Action #855 cover. I picked up the original from Eric Powell's own online store through eBay. Below is that listing:

Eric Powell eBay Listing for Action Comics #855

I see that the other listing ended already--I hope that anyone who might have picked up that piece did their homework prior to plunking down that $1200. . .

Action Comics #855 Cover

As someone who's bought a lot of his work over the years, especially THE GOON, I have a decent idea of what he's sold. A lot of it is actually out there, even if you don't see it on CAF. He does hold his favorite pieces, though, and he tends not to sell his painted covers. He very rarely sells direct via mail; 99% of the art he sells is at shows and the occasional eBay auction. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

And congrats on that cover!

Gracias, and thanks for the info--I thought that might be the case ;)

Just as an update, I was able to contact Eric and ask about the cover I'd been dying to pick up for years. He had been holding onto it since 2007, but he graciously agreed to part with it! So, here it is:

Action Comics # 857 Cover

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I guess the lesson is: It never hurts to ask.

Just as an update, I was able to contact Eric and ask about the cover I'd been dying to pick up for years. He had been holding onto it since 2007, but he graciously agreed to part with it! So, here it is:

Action Comics # 857 Cover

Great cover - why was it up as a color oil painting?

Ahh, the perils of the 1 AM CAF update. . .Although the #855 cover is an oil pinting on an oversized heavy board, the #857 is an inkwash piece on a standard DC board--I fixed the CAF page for the #857 earlier today when I noticed my mistake, and inserted the correct image.

And thanks for the compliment--Powell really is something else.