• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Pressing Question

46 posts in this topic

I wouldnt touch it. Joey is the expert so I would suggest taking his advice even though he didnt come out and say dont do it. I think his hesitation would be enough for me.

That is not what Joey is saying. All Joey is saying he thinks the book might be able to get an 8.5,but he is not going to guarantee a higher grade with how CGC has been grading lately the risk is up to him. He is remaining neutral from how I read Joey's message.

:eek:

I wouldnt touch it. Joey is the expert so I would suggest taking his advice even though he didnt come out and say dont do it. I think his hesitation would be enough for me.

That is not what Joey is saying. All Joey is saying he thinks the book might be able to get an 8.5,but he is not going to guarantee a higher grade with how CGC has been grading lately the risk is up to him. He is remaining neutral from how I read Joey's message.

I'm pretty sure that Joey isn't saying that book will even get a whiff of an 8.5 from the CGC.

Anytime you play the CPR game you accept all the risk. Having been able to run some spreadsheets for the last 2 years I can say that most of the time (if you have a good eye) you win. It is not an absolute truth, but the odds are in your favor.

Sometimes a book comes across your desk that you look at and say hm So I ask myself a few questions before I ever crack it out. One of the questions is "If this was my book would I take the risk?". If I cannot answer that for a certainty I let the books owner know my thoughts on the chance of an upgrade vs. any other potential issues. I do not allow the appeal of a book or the possible price difference to alter my judgement.

Thats all I did here. I let the owner know all the possibilities that could happen.

I'm pretty sure that Joey isn't saying that book will even get a whiff of an 8.5 8.0 from the CGC.

(thumbs u

Anytime you play the CPR game you accept all the risk. Having been able to run some spreadsheets for the last 2 years I can say that most of the time (if you have a good eye) you win. It is not an absolute truth, but the odds are in your favor.

Sometimes a book comes across your desk that you look at and say hm So I ask myself a few questions before I ever crack it out. One of the questions is "If this was my book would I take the risk?". If I cannot answer that for a certainty I let the books owner know my thoughts on the chance of an upgrade vs. any other potential issues. I do not allow the appeal of a book or the possible price difference to alter my judgement.

Thats all I did here. I let the owner know all the possibilities that could happen.

......the above, plus the fact that you do exceptional work.....is why I heartily recommend you every chance I get. I've personally seen you turn 6.5's into 8.5's and 9.0's. I've cracked some of them back out and the books are still supple and natural looking. AWESOME........GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. To the owner of the 7.0 TOS 39.....even if the book still comes back a 7.0, it will be a MUCH nicer 7.0 after Joe is through.

A little different than my first thoughts, but definitely remaining neutral and honest that you don't know if you can really improve it. With that being said if it was my own issue I would leave it alone if it was mine, but like I said earlier if I was thinking every time I looked at the issue what if you could improve it then I would let you do the work that might improve it without being a restoration.

Do they grade looser on-site at cons?

In my short time being here, I've heard that thrown around casually before on a couple different occassions, and also saw two books (same issue) each get grades higher than 9.8 which was the 6th and 7th time for that book which has over 1000 grades in the census. Yes, that situation very well could have just been coincidence/deserving cause of their condition, but still, just something that's stuck with me.

While you can stack the odds in your favour by being knowledgeable and having a hawk eye the truth is that nothing is a sure thing.

You need to factor in the reality that it's not all win-win to fully appreciate risk in the CPR game, and these are all things that have happened to me.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have it drop 2 grades on a straight resub. No damage to the book at all.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have it come back in a restored holder because CGC missed something the first time around.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have damage incurred to the book somewhere along the way (how many hands does the book go through from the time it leaves your hands to the time it returns?) and have the book drop in grade.

Just like anything else with risk there are great wins to be made and you can stack the odds in your favour but the reality is that there can be and are great losses as well. It's for that reason that some people who are a little more conservative do not take those risks.

Personally, if someone like Joey is leaning towards no, and you (the OP) are asking a chat forum what to do....well then I'd say you already have your answer.

Hey guys, need some opinions... Sent a book into Joeypost to be pressed...tales of suspense #39 (cgc 7.0 grade, WHITE PAGES).... got this back from Joey... (thanks Joey BTW for your honest feedback.) Bad pics in newer post, sorry.

Joey:

****The spine is the real culprit here Greg. The rest of the book is in at least 8.5 shape. The readers crease and small stain on the back cover are what CGC hammered the book on.

With that said I do see a crease on the front cover that I can get to lay flat. It breaks color for 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It is on the outside edge near iron mans elbow.

Back cover has a few dents and creases I can remove. It will also benefit from a dry cleaning. CGC has been all over the place with grading lately. I have confidence in my ability, but they have had books coming back with some crazy grades.

I will leave this up to you. Please keep in mind the risk it could:

stay the same grade

Change in PQ

Go down

Go up.******

what would you guys do, crack and press, or leave alone? Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!

Thanks!

My take. A presser who knows what they are doing such as Joey would not reduce the PQ. Not sure what BomberBob has in mind but the temperatures and duration of a press done properly will not change White PQ.

Second - as Joey says, there is both a small stain on the back cover. Naturally pressing will not remove this. If it is truly a "stain", which I suspect because Joey terms it one, then we are getting into solvents and possibly dismantling for removal. So a potential PLOD would be there for the correction, depending on the stain.

I think the most significant aspect is the acknowledgement of a color breaking crease. Even a small one of 1/8 - 1/4 inch as Joey describes may be a turning point when combined with the stain.

You say you "Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!" but that grade may well be what it deserves to be.

While you can stack the odds in your favour by being knowledgeable and having a hawk eye the truth is that nothing is a sure thing.

You need to factor in the reality that it's not all win-win to fully appreciate risk in the CPR game, and these are all things that have happened to me.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have it drop 2 grades on a straight resub. No damage to the book at all.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have it come back in a restored holder because CGC missed something the first time around.

Resubmit a book that looks much better than the assigned grade only to have damage incurred to the book somewhere along the way (how many hands does the book go through from the time it leaves your hands to the time it returns?) and have the book drop in grade.

Just like anything else with risk there are great wins to be made and you can stack the odds in your favour but the reality is that there can be and are great losses as well. It's for that reason that some people who are a little more conservative do not take those risks.

Personally, if someone like Joey is leaning towards no, and you (the OP) are asking a chat forum what to do....well then I'd say you already have your answer.

Ouch!

Hey guys, need some opinions... Sent a book into Joeypost to be pressed...tales of suspense #39 (cgc 7.0 grade, WHITE PAGES).... got this back from Joey... (thanks Joey BTW for your honest feedback.) Bad pics in newer post, sorry.

Joey:

****The spine is the real culprit here Greg. The rest of the book is in at least 8.5 shape. The readers crease and small stain on the back cover are what CGC hammered the book on.

With that said I do see a crease on the front cover that I can get to lay flat. It breaks color for 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It is on the outside edge near iron mans elbow.

Back cover has a few dents and creases I can remove. It will also benefit from a dry cleaning. CGC has been all over the place with grading lately. I have confidence in my ability, but they have had books coming back with some crazy grades.

I will leave this up to you. Please keep in mind the risk it could:

stay the same grade

Change in PQ

Go down

Go up.******

what would you guys do, crack and press, or leave alone? Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!

Thanks!

My take. A presser who knows what they are doing such as Joey would not reduce the PQ. Not sure what BomberBob has in mind but the temperatures and duration of a press done properly will not change White PQ.

Second - as Joey says, there is both a small stain on the back cover. Naturally pressing will not remove this. If it is truly a "stain", which I suspect because Joey terms it one, then we are getting into solvents and possibly dismantling for removal. So a potential PLOD would be there for the correction, depending on the stain.

I think the most significant aspect is the acknowledgement of a color breaking crease. Even a small one of 1/8 - 1/4 inch as Joey describes may be a turning point when combined with the stain.

You say you "Really want this book to grade higher as it deserves to be!" but that grade may well be what it deserves to be.

My worry would not be that pressing will reduce the PQ but that PQ can vary from one grading round to the next on the same book. I would be concerned about getting the book back with the same grade but lower PQ. I would be inclined not to risk it.