• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Sale History of CGC book on GPA.

17 posts in this topic

There is a CGC graded book I am interested on Ebay.

I looked up the sales history on the book on GPA and the sales history seems a bit odd to me.

Here is a screen shot from GPA with the name of the book and the full serial number blacked out. If you want to see all the details, subscribe to GPA.

gpasales.jpg

The serial number of the book I am referring to has a serial number ending in 957009.

Basically, this exact same book has sold 4 times in about an 8 month period (5 times if I buy it). Each time it sold, it sold for less money. I contacted the seller and asked if there was any damage to the book or case and he says there is not.

It seems to me that there must be a problem with the book for it to sell 4 times in an 8 month period, and always at a loss.

Or maybe it is completely normal and nothing to worry about....

Any thoughts?

It seems to me that there must be a problem with the book for it to sell 4 times in an 8 month period, and always at a loss.

Or maybe it is completely normal and nothing to worry about....

Any thoughts?

Wait another few months and get it for free ... (thumbs u

It hasn't sold for less money each time.

I see 68-66-66-55 for that book. Close enough. I can see the OP's point despite the technicality. I think it's very possible (or even likely) the Jun 8th sale was really a no-sale, and the book actually sold on Jun 17 from the same seller.

Without knowing what book it is or seeing a scan I don't have enough to go on. It would certianly make me wary, and it's another reason GPA is such a great resource.

Then again, the book could just be going down, and I know of many people who actively participate in the "buy high sell low" slab game.

the current seller was not any of the past sellers... (based on looking thru his feedback on those dates), and if it was sold but then returned, it wouldn't end up in GPA right?

Just looks like it's made the rounds.

the current seller was not any of the past sellers... (based on looking thru his feedback on those dates), and if it was sold but then returned, it wouldn't end up in GPA right?

Just looks like it's made the rounds.

Of course it would end up in GPA. How the heck does GPA know if something is returned or if an eBay buyer does not pay?

never mind here's the book

Droids #1

Book looks beautiful. I dont like the new style inner well becasue of SCS but that's a small gripe. I don't see the signs of new-style SCS. Looks like it has a minor case scratch on the upper right.

Anything is possible but I vote for downward price slide. Did you check the CGC census history over time?

never mind here's the book

Droids #1

Obviously, Greggy purchased and returned this book several times, never letting his shame overcome his desire for Star Comics for very long.

well if you're selling on ebay or other auction site, the ending time of the auction (or season) might play a factor. I don't think its such a huge discrepancy that normal market variations and factors should be ruled out. Maybe the sellers had low feedback, or high shipping costs, or the auction ended at 3am in the morning.

Some high-volume sellers, use the same image/cert details when selling low-value books they have many copies of. Instead of listing a different image each time, they reuse the closed auction details to sell the next. This is also the case with quantity auctions (several copies offered as offer/buy-now through the one listing)