• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Pricing vs. Raw Pricing - Who will win?

CGC Pricing Vs. Raw Pricing  

162 members have voted

1. 1. CGC Pricing Vs. Raw Pricing

27 posts in this topic

The issue is the internet. When you look at a book online there is no guarantee in what you are getting. Mycomicshop.com is probably one of the bigger comic dealers, and look at all the people that complain about them over-grading stuff. When you buy a slab, you have that guarantee, and that seems to say lot.

This is why professional grading, whatever it may be in the future will not go away. CGC isn't infallible, but as far as trust in the grade goes, its the best way to feel you really got x quality comic.

That goes for internet and things you can see up close and touch (maybe) in person.

There are many raw dealers who can seriously grade. I'd buy a book unseen from Flaming_Telepath for instance (again) and know I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd feel happier buying a book unseen from him than a CGC graded book.

....yes, but FT is a higher evolution of the human condition than what is typically encountered. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The issue is the internet. When you look at a book online there is no guarantee in what you are getting. Mycomicshop.com is probably one of the bigger comic dealers, and look at all the people that complain about them over-grading stuff. When you buy a slab, you have that guarantee, and that seems to say lot.

This is why professional grading, whatever it may be in the future will not go away. CGC isn't infallible, but as far as trust in the grade goes, its the best way to feel you really got x quality comic.

That goes for internet and things you can see up close and touch (maybe) in person.

There are many raw dealers who can seriously grade. I'd buy a book unseen from Flaming_Telepath for instance (again) and know I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd feel happier buying a book unseen from him than a CGC graded book.

Definitely agree with that - however, if I buy a book from FT and I resell it a few years down the road - who is to say that the buyer is going to know who FT is? Or that I'm just not making shlt up to sell the book?

I'm pretty sure that nearly all collectors can agree that most books in their collection are subject to being sold at a future date. So buying them from a respectable grader is only good for your purchase, not someone else's future purchase from you.

This is where CGC retains it's value. A graded, protected book shows that it was examined by a qualified 3rd party that most collectors are in agreement with in terms of accuracy.

Definitely agree with that - however, if I buy a book from FT and I resell it a few years down the road - who is to say that the buyer is going to know who FT is? Or that I'm just not making shlt up to sell the book?

I'm pretty sure that nearly all collectors can agree that most books in their collection are subject to being sold at a future date. So buying them from a respectable grader is only good for your purchase, not someone else's future purchase from you.

This is where CGC retains it's value. A graded, protected book shows that it was examined by a qualified 3rd party that most collectors are in agreement with in terms of accuracy.

Or maybe not. The scans have gone, but just reading the thread speaks volumes.

When your average comic shop owner learns the difference between a 7.0 and a 9.2, I'll start paying him a premium. Until then, he can suck it and whine about it.

This is it, pretty much.

+1

Not only are there some that can accurately grade, but they have helped me with my grading skills! I purchased a couple of big sets of books, checked them straight away and gave a thumbs up to the owner, who said they "looked pretty good" when in fact, they appeared to be all 9.2-9.6 range, and brought a stack into the shop to get their opinion. Sure, enough, we were in agreement.