• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Silver Surfer 8

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! :hi:

Here's a book I will be putting up on eBay in the next week or so.

Awesome cover and interior artwork by one of my favorite Marvel artists of all the time, the late great BIG John Buscema!

Z-JohnBuscema1a.jpg

Any grades would be appreciated!

SILVER SURFER 8

Test1.jpg

Test1a.jpg

Test1b.jpg

Test1c.jpg

NiceHmm, slight dinging around the right side of the cover, slightly dented corners, very minor wear. VF 8.0? Miswraps aren’t considered, but for me a book with a miswrap would be out of the question, I’d prefer a F or a F/VF without a miswrap over this. That white is annoying… :(

NiceHmm, slight dinging around the right side of the cover, slightly dented corners, very minor wear. VF 8.0? Miswraps aren’t considered, but for me a book with a miswrap would be out of the question, I’d prefer a F or a F/VF without a miswrap over this. That white is annoying… :(

Not only do you have a PQ fetish, you also have a "miswrap" fetish? yikes.gif

We can all be grateful you're not grading at CGC, since many high grade books have less than bright white pages and are miswrapped due to printing errors! lol

But I digress. Everyone has their "fetishes" with regards to comic book collecting. No harm, no foul. That's what makes the hobby so enjoyable. What you find "annoying," I may love. And vica-versa.

No real dinging on right side of cover. I think it's the photo quality. This isn't a scan remember.

Anyway, I was looking for the "slightly dented corners" you alluded to.

I crop and zoomed in to see if they're evident as you say they are. Where are they? think2.gif

Again, thanks for your grade. I personally think this copy is better than a 8.0, but let's have some of the other guys chime in.

FCTL

TestFCLTC.jpg

FCTR

TestFCRTC.jpg

FCBL

TestFCLBC.jpg

FCBR

TestFCRBC.jpg

BCTL

TestBCLTC.jpg

BCTR

TestBCRTC.jpg

BCBL

TestBCLBC.jpg

BCBR

TestBCRBC.jpg

Hi MODOK, I think such an amount of dented corners is enough to lower the grade. I’m no expert but I think to be above 9.0 they should be pretty sharp.

Also, I wasn’t referring at the corners when speaking of the cover "dings" (not sure how to call them, I’d have to look constantly at a dictionary… :( ), if you look at the right side of the cover, it‘s not sharp, it has some "creasing", "dinging", don’t know the exact english word.

Miswraps are errors, no matter how production was lousy, so I truly dislike books with miswraps, but I did not take it into account, since neither CGC nor most professional graders seem to care about production defects. To me, they make a book look ugly (especially if back cover is white, not to mention a part of the right side is cut away); I think I have little to no one in my collection. Of course, when you couldn’t use the Internet, you had got to get what sellers described, and I have some, but now that I can see a scan I just avoid it. It seems even a 9.6 can have miswraps, so it's just my opinion. ;)

as is 8.5 but with a little love from Joey, you might get 9.2 or even higher. It all depends on the right edge and how those small indents pressed out. A lot of times, those small indents have color breaking creases that are not visible from the pics.

as is 8.5 but with a little love from Joey, you might get 9.2 or even higher. It all depends on the right edge and how those small indents pressed out. A lot of times, those small indents have color breaking creases that are not visible from the pics.

Thanks, etanick, for your professional take on the photos of my book. This copy won't be going to Joey. It's going to be but up on eBay.

I really do value your opinion immensely when it comes to grades! :acclaim:

And I'd rather the staples be on white than on the art but don't tell vaillant :gossip:

Yeah, don’t tell me. lol I barely notice where the staples are, unless they are misplaced and don’t let me open the book properly.

MODOK, I think it’s fine to describe it as you say, since it will comprehend a possible 8.5-9.2 range, but those small indents (thanks etanick for the term) should be at least fixed, toned down. Generally I put a piece of cardboard below the cover, a piece of white paper above, and then use an old Letraset tool I have, which used to be for transfering dry transfer lettering in graphic design old days, but which is fabulous to flatten non-breaking creases. :)

Ebay NM

That's what I'm thinking of listing it as on eBay. VF+ to NM.

Thanks alot for your take, Timmay! m0117.gif

as in somewhere between 8.5 and 9.4?

I always avoid E-Bay auctions like that. "VF+ to NM"? I'd give it less range and narrow it down. This book looks nice, I'd give it 9.0-9.2 as is. The colors pop on the cover which appeals to me. But that darn miswrap? Why must it have a miswrap?!? Just kidding, just trying to make Vaillant feel beter! haha

I always avoid E-Bay auctions like that. "VF+ to NM"? I'd give it less range and narrow it down. This book looks nice, I'd give it 9.0-9.2 as is. The colors pop on the cover which appeals to me. But that darn miswrap? Why must it have a miswrap?!? Just kidding, just trying to make Vaillant feel beter! haha

Well, I'm not a veteran grader like you and the others here. lol I guess that's why I use a wide grade range. However, I understand what you're advising regarding narrowing down the grade range.

Perhaps if I put "VF/NM to NM-" would do the trick?

I start my auctions off at $15.99, so someone will "take a chance" on this and win it for a low price. There are other eBayers who will look at the super large scans I'll post and decide if it's worth the gamble.

The miswrap issue is strictly a personal choice for the collector, since to the best of my knowledge CGC could give a rat's arse about it in the grading process. Again, CGC won't provide a definitive answer on this subject since their grading criteria is so top secret, so we're left to speculate.