• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Dumbest Sci-Fi Moments

28 posts in this topic

The EMPIRE thing was a tip-off that this was composed by your typical fan-hating news people (what did you expect from MSN). To wit:

"Despite a ship full of highly-intelligent technical and science people, the crew of the Nostromo decides not to quarantine their alien-toting buddy long enough to make sure there were no problems along the lines of, say, stomach erupting alien."

Warning sign: article-writing insufficiently_thoughtful_person never paid attention to film. Ash is the *only* highly intelligent science person on the ship and he's a friggin' android specifically ordered to preserve the creature. Everybody else is just a bonus-hungry working-class stiff running a mining freighter. Sure, Ripley is sharp, sure, but this isn't a think tank.

Arnold

I didnt want to get into explaining why he was wrong, but since someone else already did, here goes.

"Darth Vader may have been a patsy, but we all know he wasn't that stupid. If ever a huge planet destroying technology was the appropriate choice, this was it."

The Death Star had been destroyed in the first movie and Death Star II was not yet operational during Empire. There was no planet destroying technology. You wonder if this guy even watched most of these movies...

The EMPIRE thing was a tip-off that this was composed by your typical fan-hating news people.

You fanboys need to get your panties unbunched and realize that most sci-fi scenarios are pretty lame and quite illogical. But many times they have to be contrived, or we wouldn't have a movie.

The best ones make sure that the audience is with the protag, and doesn't second-guess any of the decisions or plot points.

Some of their "moments" are stretching a bit in my opinion. Alien and ESB being two.

I mean he didn't even mention Star Trek The Movie. Hell, he could do a top ten list on that movie alone. And the last two Star Wars movies deserve a mention before even going after ESB..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

The EMPIRE thing was a tip-off that this was composed by your typical fan-hating news people.

You fanboys need to get your panties unbunched and realize that most sci-fi scenarios are pretty lame and quite illogical. But many times they have to be contrived, or we wouldn't have a movie.

The best ones make sure that the audience is with the protag, and doesn't second-guess any of the decisions or plot points.

And comics are totally logical and very unlame....I forgot about that sorry.. foreheadslap.gif

2 dumb movie moments come to mind.

The Star Trek movie where they have to go back and get a whale. Scottie sits down on an old apple computer and with a couple of keystrokes on a keyboard comes up with a new type of plastic.

In the movie the "Core", a computer nerd puts a chewing gum wrapper around a comb then blows into a cell phone. He then hands back the cell phone and tells the person he borrowed it from, "You now have free long distance for life."

Vince, I think that Arch should change your title under your Forum ID from "FACT: if I stop posting..." to "BAH HUMBUG" or "Forum Grinch."

Don't you ever get excited about anything in a positive way?

And comics are totally logical and very unlame....I forgot about that sorry.. foreheadslap.gif

As usual the point whizzes right over the head of the forum faithful.

Realistic and logical are not the same thing. You could have a movie with aliens attacking Earth, a robot travelling back in time, or a bunch of immortals slicing each other's heads off, and it's all realistic as it pertains to that world.

That's called "movie reality", but if these characters break the logic laws of this world (such as some of the examples cited) then that's a totally different thing.

Of course I do, and I was wired up to see Spider-man 2.

The problem is, comments about how good SM2 was slide off the radar pretty quickly and are replaced by Catwoman and FF movie threads. confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course I do, and I was wired up to see Spider-man 2.

The problem is, comments about how good SM2 was slide off the radar pretty quickly and are replaced by Catwoman and FF movie threads. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

I've got to agree with Arnold - the one about them not quarantining the infected guy in Alien actually makes sense. None of the characters were rocket scientists. Don't go back for the cat though. Now THAT was stupid.

Vince, I think that Arch should change your title under your Forum ID from "FACT: if I stop posting..." to "BAH HUMBUG" or "Forum Grinch."

'Forum Martyr' has been the fan favorite in the past. gossip.gif