• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Dumbest Sci-Fi Moments

28 posts in this topic

STAR WARS - the Death Star finale - sounds in space? And exploded fighters , in space, falling towards the hollow Death Star's apparantly mighty gravity? Gravity that apparantly is greater than the directional force of the hit that disabled the fighter.

Look to the often disparaged and much earlier 2001: A SPACE ODDESEY. Remember the scenes shot outside the ship in space? They were silent. (I can;t remember if the Dave Bowman close-ups had his breathing - may be - bit overall they were silent - and quite compelling due to that silence.

Now as far as INDEPENDENCE DAY goes - unless I missed it on that site, they have put the cart before the horse. Their premise of the virus-containing floppy disk might just as well be a peanut butter sandwich, is superceded by Goldblum's ability to decipher the original plans. I mean, an alien culture, alien language, etc. yet he figures out the plan due to the "hidden" code.

I could ramble on but have rambled enough for now.

The EMPIRE thing was a tip-off that this was composed by your typical fan-hating news people (what did you expect from MSN). To wit:

"Despite a ship full of highly-intelligent technical and science people, the crew of the Nostromo decides not to quarantine their alien-toting buddy long enough to make sure there were no problems along the lines of, say, stomach erupting alien."

Warning sign: article-writing insufficiently_thoughtful_person never paid attention to film. Ash is the *only* highly intelligent science person on the ship and he's a friggin' android specifically ordered to preserve the creature. Everybody else is just a bonus-hungry working-class stiff running a mining freighter. Sure, Ripley is sharp, sure, but this isn't a think tank.

Arnold

I just re-watched Alien on Black Starz of all channels the other night (never underestimate the power of Yaphet Kotto!). And since it's fresh in my mind - the writer of this article is a freakin' insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Ripley refuses to let the three back into the Nostromo. Ash (the android [!@#%^&^]) lets them in as Ripley is AGAIN saying she won't let them in. This guy is just plain wrong.

I've got to agree with Arnold - the one about them not quarantining the infected guy in Alien actually makes sense. None of the characters were rocket scientists. Don't go back for the cat though. Now THAT was stupid.

Sci-fi geek moment.....I took a date to see Alien way back when. All through the movie she kept worrying about that stupid cat. "ooh, she left the cat...ooh, the cats' scared...ooh, it gonna kill the cat".

The Alien is killing human beings right and left, but all she sees is that #$## cat.

I was cool though....it was a date, right. I said "poor kitty" and such. Then I went back a week later with some fellow geeks and watched it with the righeous reverence that was required of sci-fi geekdom. Darned if Ripley didn't save that cat again. insane.gif

I agree that this article was written by your typical fan-hating newsie. IT is obvious by the movie choices made that the intention was simply to pick on sci-fi movies that people like. For every Alien or The Fly, there are ten million like Millenium, Red Planet, or anything by Roger Corman. Why not pick on those?

I also agree the it doesn't seem like he even watched some of those movies. Or, maybe watched them once but doesn't remember anything about them.

I think the author of this article is off on the Terminator scenario also. How would they have found Connor's ancestors in the 1800's? They had to off all the Sarah Connors in the city as it was because they didn't know the address. I am sure that the machines had no clue as to where his ancestors where before the late twentieth century. foreheadslap.gif

I think the author of this article is off on the Terminator scenario also. How would they have found Connor's ancestors in the 1800's? They had to off all the Sarah Connors in the city as it was because they didn't know the address. I am sure that the machines had no clue as to where his ancestors where before the late twentieth century. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif That's right! In the original Terminator, he had no idea where she was. He was just killing all the Sarah Connors' listed in the phone book.

Also, in Jurassic Park, did they not make it clear enough that the velociraptors displayed uncanny intelligence, that they were unexpectedly more than just dumb animals? How did he miss that?

Also, in Jurassic Park, did they not make it clear enough that the velociraptors displayed uncanny intelligence, that they were unexpectedly more than just dumb animals? How did he miss that?

And he obviously didn't read the books either.....

Jim

I don't think he watched "Signs" either...

because if you want to make fun of 'Signs', you are obligated to mention

that aliens who are killed by water decided to invade a planet that is 75% water.