• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever changed your collecting focus?

45 posts in this topic

I have a cgc run of iron man but am thinking of selling most of them off and changing my collection to either just a few SA keys or for various GA books.

I wish I could keep what I have and just add my new interest but that would be financially impossible.

I'm worried about sellers remorse but also excited to try something new. Anyone with a similiar experience? Regrets? Am I fickle?

I know, collect what you like, blah blah, blah.... there's always the crack option.

I used to collect Spiderman and I have a very nice collection of Mutiple sig SS books.

I decided a while back to change collecting focus to Green Lantern and soon will be putting all my Spider-mans up for sale

and how do you think you'll feel about selling your old collection? did it take a long time to accumulate?

It did take a while to accumulate but I dont feel bad.

It's just comics so I have no real emotional attachment. I concentrate on what I will be getting

I was a Spider-Man completist. Buying all 2nd prints, variant covers, and diff variations of Amazing Spider-Man. But once Marvel announced the series was ending at #700, I stopped it. Sold all my variant covers and now my focus is collecting Silver Age graded copies of the first 100 issues and other key Spidey issues.

Variant covers don't really hold their value, were getting annoying trying to obtain, and different ratios for #700. A 1 in 700 variant were getting out of hand. So it made it pretty easy to stop collecting them.

I have a cgc run of iron man but am thinking of selling most of them off and changing my collection to either just a few SA keys or for various GA books.

I wish I could keep what I have and just add my new interest but that would be financially impossible.

I'm worried about sellers remorse but also excited to try something new. Anyone with a similiar experience? Regrets? Am I fickle?

I know, collect what you like, blah blah, blah.... there's always the crack option.

......I've done this, including the crack option ( do NOT choose the crack option, trust me... ) and have never looked back. I personally don't target keys due to their cost (I like 6.5 or better) and my collection has morphed into a small stack of nice copies of some of my favorite books. In coin collecting this is referred to as Type collecting (to a degree ) and I see a lot of collectors gravitating toward this approach. None of this stuff is all that rare....so you can always go back. I'm actually working on a raw mid grade Ditko ASM run again. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've had ASM #1-200, Tales To Astonsh #1-101 and Strange Tales #101-135 plus some others, but not the full Fury run. I sold down the Spidey run and wound up with a great ASM #1, among other books. I sold down the ST run and wound up with a nice TOS #39 and TTA #27, among other books. I sold down the TTA run and wound up with a great JIM #83, among other books. I did each of these spread out over several years, usually 3 years apart. I see putting together runs as time payments towards great copies of the super keys. And I don't regret it at all!! :headbang::takeit::whee: (thumbs u

Definitely agree with the above. I had a 1-300 ASM run and a good chunk of UXM - ended up selling absolutely everything and actually shifted a bit more into OA and such. I'm back to re-collecting ASM stuff (1-100) but only certain keys/covers that I enjoy, as well as various modern keys/covers/character appearances that I enjoy. So it's definitely more piece-meal but the upside is that I really love each and every book I decide to keep.

I've had ASM #1-200, Tales To Astonsh #1-101 and Strange Tales #101-135 plus some others, but not the full Fury run. I sold down the Spidey run and wound up with a great ASM #1, among other books. I sold down the ST run and wound up with a nice TOS #39 and TTA #27, among other books. I sold down the TTA run and wound up with a great JIM #83, among other books. I did each of these spread out over several years, usually 3 years apart. I see putting together runs as time payments towards great copies of the super keys. And I don't regret it at all!! :headbang::takeit::whee: (thumbs u

That's great! I was hoping to do something like this myself. I am somewhat attached to my IM run as it took a long time to complete but now that its done I kinda wish I had something else.

......I've done this, including the crack option ( do NOT choose the crack option, trust me... ) and have never looked back. I personally don't target keys due to their cost (I like 6.5 or better) and my collection has morphed into a small stack of nice copies of some of my favorite books. In coin collecting this is referred to as Type collecting (to a degree ) and I see a lot of collectors gravitating toward this approach. None of this stuff is all that rare....so you can always go back. I'm actually working on a raw mid grade Ditko ASM run again. GOD BLESS...

Good points, that is kinda what I am thinking about, instead of a bunch of long boxes just having a small stack of nice books. And I will stay away from the crack option....for now....

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t change my collecting focus,

I just FOCUS...[/font]

:sumo:

I wish I could do that too, but I need the income from the sale of my run to purchase something different, just afraid I'll be sorry once their gone. The upside though is they are not hard to find if I decide to replace them.

In the time it's taken me to type this response, I've changed my focus twice.

I changed my focus again and now will keep what I have, no wait, I want to sell what I have, no, uhh ... sell... wait... who's picture is that? I lost my focus

In the time it's taken me to type this response, I've changed my focus twice.

I changed my focus again and now will keep what I have, no wait, I want to sell what I have, no, uhh ... sell... wait... who's picture is that? I lost my focus

......have your cake and eat it too....keep the 1, 55, 118, and 128. GOD BLESS....

I changed my collecting focus about 6 months ago. I went from collecting anything and everything with Jim Steranko art to collecting anything and everything by Dave Stevens. And I haven't regretted it.

Don't get me wrong, I occassionally still gaze longingly at some classic Jim Steranko covers, but am much happier with collecting Dave Stevens works.

My rationale was pretty simple: for the amount of money it would take me to collect 9.8/9.6 copies of some of my favorite Jim Steranko books, I could get 5-6 9.8 Dave Stevens books. So it just made sense to me that I would get more satisfaction out of having a collection that could become the collection I truly wanted as opposed to having a collection that was frustrating and unfinished due to financial contraints.

To me the bottomline is simple: collect what gives you a degree of satisfaction and enjoyment. That is what hobbies are for.