• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever changed your collecting focus?

45 posts in this topic

I used to be a Marvel Zombie and still have a majority of that junk. Then I collected DC and GA. My only real "focus" is Detective Comics 50-850 CGC graded, I have like 200+ slabs so far (5 years I think). But I sold all my BA DC already (minus tecs) and just collect GA and my Detective run. There are some Batmans around here too, but just classic covers..

I change about every six months or so. But I keep my focuses small and manageable so I can attain my collecting goals, or if they prove to be too difficult or costly, I can get rid of them before I get too deep. I also try to move around the "ages" so I don't get bored pigeonhole my collection in one area.

Six months ago: Werewolf By Night in VF or better, J Scott Campbell covers with raw 9.8 potential.

Now: Silver age Nick Fury Strange Tales and Silver Surfers in VF.

And, like most people here - I occasionally sell off my previous focus books to chase after my new focus books. I try not to do it often, but sometimes it's a necessity.

I have been a completist, at my high point I had 28 longboxes and 5 short boxes.

Then I sold it all off and bought a 1968 chevelle and a home.

Then I sold the car and started collecting again as a completist. Acquired 27 longboxes full.

Then I started selling it all to collect cool classic cover golden age horror books.

Now I collect fine+ books to sell at comic-cons.

I am always changing my focus, because I learned long ago what interests me is the chase.

As a run builder, I've pretty much had the same focus since 1975. I collect similarly to *Bronze age fan*, except I start and end earlier than he does, and I'll pick up books from other companies by artists I like or those that catch my eye. What has changed is that rather than wait for a particular issue in a particular condition, I'll now pick something up and replace it later if I want to upgrade.

I've been collecting for over 40 years and I have over 40,000 comics. When I was in my early teens, I sold my SA ASM collection because my focus changed to books, and it remains my biggest collecting regret (even though I've managed to reacquire what I sold). I change my focus from time to time -- I'm generally a completist, but I've gone through phases of collecting keys, of collecting Valiants, of collecting Continuitys (if you can believe that), going back to being a completist (but expanding from Marvel to DC too), and right now I'm having fun shopping for 9.8 of nice covers on ebay. My point being, and I figure I'm older than you so I'll give you some unsolicited advice, go ahead and change your focus but don't sell off what you have (unless you see a short term opportunity and you want to sell high and then later buy low). The problem with collecting CGC is everything is so expensive because from the get go you have to factor in the grading costs of the seller. If you can't keep what you have and still change your focus, then modify your focus to something else you're interested in (maybe a non-cgc thing) and put the other thing on hold. Your future self will thank your current self.

Somewhat but not really. My collection focus is kind of loose. Non super hero stuff I find interesting.

At first it was pretty much strictly black and white copper age independents.

Then small press mini comics and art comics.

Then I got into undergrounds.

Then translated Euro comics.

Then bronze age mags.

Then moderns.

Now a little copper age manga stuff and deluxe trades and hardcovers.

But I don't feel like I'm really shifting focus.

I have a cgc run of XXXXXXXXXXX but am thinking of selling most of them off and changing my collection...

Welcome to the twitter age where all collectors have the attention span of a hungry squirrel.

I focus on shiny baubles.

Been doing it for years.

I definitely prefer cheap, shiny baubles.

:cool:

after reading all the comments I realize I'm not the only one to go through this, so I am going to sell my collection, keeping some of the keys, and try something else. I will probably have some remorse afterwards, but will appreciate the thrill of the new additions. Now I have to decide the best way to purge my collection, I'll most likely end up on ebay but it is so much work at times. Oh well, , I'm in this for the long haul, thanks guys