• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Goon Movie Kickstarter

40 posts in this topic

I don't know what the policy is on the boards for advertising Kickstarter projects, so if it's not allowed let me know!

I've been waiting for years for this movie, and since the first time I saw Kickstarter I was wondering why didn't Eric Powell made one for this!

Now we have it, and I couldn't be more excited about it!

400.000$ goal, 29 days left. I think it's pretty safe to say this will easily be done.

This will be $#/"%"! awesome!

When Fincher was attached to this film, years ago, I wondered why it was never completed.

Seems odd, with all the money Hollywood throws and projects of dubious value (yes, I am looking at you Rob Schneider) that The Goon could not get made with an multiple time Oscar award nominee and Golden Globe and Emmy winning director attached.

Clancy Brown

(worship)

That is really quite cool.

Paul Giamatti is a nice voice talent here too.

Yeah, he sounded great. I've not read The Goon yet, but I think I might have to check it out.

Clancy Brown

(worship)

That is really quite cool.

Paul Giamatti is a nice voice talent here too.

Yeah, he sounded great. I've not read The Goon yet, but I think I might have to check it out.

The Goon is great. The only comic I still have a subscription to.

When Fincher was attached to this film, years ago, I wondered why it was never completed.

Seems odd, with all the money Hollywood throws and projects of dubious value (yes, I am looking at you Rob Schneider) that The Goon could not get made with an multiple time Oscar award nominee and Golden Globe and Emmy winning director attached.

Yeah. This $400k is seed money to do a reel to shop the film. The animated clips look great. Why isn't this story getting made with just a -script?

From the site:

You might be asking yourself, "I've seen footage of The Goon animated film online... why do they need money? Isn't it already being made?"

The answer to that question is NO. The Goon Film has NEVER been in production. All the work you've seen (animation footage, trailers, artwork, etc.) has been produced independently and out-of-pocket by the creative team of David Fincher, Eric Powell, Blur Studio and Dark Horse Entertainment. We created "proof of concept" footage to show Hollywood the incredible potential of a Goon movie. It was very well received BUT because this movie isn't a sequel or filled with dancing animals we'll need more to bust open the gates and UNLEASH Goon and Franky on Hollywood. And by the freakishly barbarian strength of Aunt Kizzie, we'll find a way to succeed!

I was an early adopter of The Goon, very early, but the seed money concept worries me.

It's not enough to actually make the film, not by a long shot, and if it's just to get enough footage to get real money behind it to get it made then it's a long way from the big screen.

Sounds like everyone is taking a flyer on something that might not get made.

That being said, I will still be supporting this kickstarter. :insane:

I was an early adopter of The Goon, very early, but the seed money concept worries me.

It's not enough to actually make the film, not by a long shot, and if it's just to get enough footage to get real money behind it to get it made then it's a long way from the big screen.

I'm sure there is an obvious answer (unfortunately, I didn't see it in the FAQ on the Kickstarter site) - if I make a pledge and the project doesn't meet it's funding goal, what happens to my pledge? Do I get it back? Do they blow it on beer and devise other Kickstarter beer fund ideas?

I'm sure there is an obvious answer (unfortunately, I didn't see it in the FAQ on the Kickstarter site) - if I make a pledge and the project doesn't meet it's funding goal, what happens to my pledge? Do I get it back? Do they blow it on beer and devise other Kickstarter beer fund ideas?

Every time I read one of these Kickstarters I wonder the same thing.

I always scratch my head because if I was going to invest some serious money, I'd want a percentage of the gross...not a t-shirt.

No, they don't waste the $$$ on beer. Hookers & Blow is where it's at.

No, they don't waste the $$$ on beer. Hookers & Blow is where it's at.

Hmm. Well, perhaps I need my own Kickstarter. I'll say I'm going to make a comic book and I need $400,000. Then, when I only get $20,000 of that goal, I will "invest" in some "consultations" with "large-breasted women" who "advise" me to drink frosted malt beverages as part of a health regimen to stay healthy in order to meet my production goals.

Kickstarter requires trust in the people proposing the offer. In this case, Powell et al. are offering incentives that vary according to your level of contribution. Those incentives actually return something of value to you right away.

Other kickstarters will be, in essence, a full payment for the product offered. Once critical mass is achieved the offeror can produce the item and send it to supporters. Here, that's not really possible. So they've decided to give you some swag: prints, posters, statue, OA.

lol

I imagine it's difficult to get funding for what will probably be a feature-length, R-rated animated film. Perhaps a better idea would be to make a 20 minute short and pair it with something like a gritty Robert Rodriguez film.

You are never charged until the project is over and if it's not at its goal you aren't charged. It will forever show in you profile as a project that was unsuccessfully funded. Backed a couple that didn't make it.

You are never charged until the project is over and if it's not at its goal you aren't charged. It will forever show in you profile as a project that was unsuccessfully funded. Backed a couple that didn't make it.

Ahhh. Nice - thank you. I'm a little surprised they don't really advise people to how that works - at least, in an obvious way that newcomers understand how the process for actually giving money works.

Ahhh. Nice - thank you. I'm a little surprised they don't really advise people to how that works - at least, in an obvious way that newcomers understand how the process for actually giving money works.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics?ref=nav

I know they should make it a lot clearer. It should totally be the first entry on the Kickstarter Basics page. People can hardly be expected to read 2 items before plopping down their funds.