• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Report and Pics (pics start on Page 2)

139 posts in this topic

Part 1

When I found out the date of NYCC this year I knew I had a mission. A mission to plan a business trip around that week so I could go to the show and not have to be away from my family any longer than I had to. I travel often for work so staying longer and missing my son's game tonight wouldnt be good.

So, I had to plan to get to the first day on Thursday and then fly home that night.

My plans were set in motion and it worked out great aligning with my work travel schedule. I had a business meeting in NYC on Tuesday and then in CT on Wednesday. I could take Thursday off and travel home that night. PERFECT.

So by the time I get all of this worked out. I go to get tickets and the website said sold out. Only Friday was available as a single day. My goal of going was fading away.

Meanwhile....I'm buying a book online from Greg Reece (that IM 2 9.2) and I mention to Greg that I can't find a ticket for Thursday only and if he knows anyone who will sell me one, i'd gladly pay.

Greg was incredibly nice and offered to give me a pass for Thursday only. He needed it for the other days but just Thursday he could hook me up.

I WAS BACK IN!

A HUGE thank you to Greg Reece for being so gracious.

My trip to NYC and work meetings went well in CT and then I was basically free Thursday from work. I just had a few calls in the morning and Greg said to meet him around 1:30. I got to the entrance and was immediately impressed with the sheer size of the place. I've been to cons before but this was massive. My eyes must have been like a kid in a candy store. Greg was talking to me and as we are walking into the hall I'm overwhelmed with dealer booth after dealer booth and i'm in there before most of the public. IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING? :banana:

Part 2 coming up soon....

Part 2

Greg was awesome to provide me with the pass for the day, he checked out a book I was trading in and then he said....have fun at the show. Before I could go I had to check out his books. Greg has a beautiful TOS 39 9.2 white pages that is to die for. I was drooling looking at it. I should have snapped some photos. Greg's booth was chock full of incredible raw and slab books. I could have a field day just at this one booth. (tsk) I wish I could just buy all of it up but I have to be strong and focused. I still had to pay him for the IM 2 9.2.

So, i'm free to walk the convention hall while everyone is still setting up and preparing for the crowds to come in at 3pm. I have a little over an hour to shop before mostly everyone else. :o At this moment I realize I can do some serious damage to my bank account. :sick: I had to set some limits for myself and keep myself focused because with all these amazing books in sight and my love for most of them....well that could be a lethal combo.

I decided to focus on getting an Iron Man 1 9.2 or 9.4 (prefer 9.2), Avengers 71 and a few other TOS that I want to upgrade.

After Greg's booth I went to Blazing Bob Storms. What a great guy. His books were also amazing. He had a JIM 89 8.0 that I wanted badly and the price was right but I wanted that IM 1....couldnt spend the cash until I hunted it down. But, I did find the Avengers 71. I've always loved The Invaders books from the 70s so this was cool to get. We made a deal, chatted a bit and I was off to others.

Next stop was Vintage Comics. They were furiously setting up and I introduced myself to Roy. He was very nice but definitely focused on the task of getting set up so we didnt chat long. I also met Adam (Filter81) and Gator briefly. Nice guys. What can I say about their books? Insane. Incredible. Beyond my wallet at this time. :(

Then I was off to Dale Roberts. More amazing books. He was busy with some folks so we didnt chat but I checked out his stock and again...more incredible books. But, not the books I wanted.

I then made my way to Graham Cracker comics (Jamie) and we had a nice talk. I know I had some differences with Jamie in the past but after communicating with him and working it out....Jamie couldnt have been nicer. I'm glad we worked things out. I don't like conflicts with people and i'm glad he and I could be friendly. His stock was also amazing. Lots of GA books with a nice smattering of SA books. Again, no IM 1 9.2 or 9.4. So I continue shopping.

I'll shorten this up a bit. I went to all the other dealers, Four color, TV, Harley Yee, Metro, Heritage, Superworld, Heroes, etc...nobody had a CGC Iron Man 9.2 or 9.4. I'm getting bummed because that was my focus and just didn't want to spend my money on something else.

I found myself back at Bob Storms and I heard one of the guys say the name Barton. So I asked if they were from the boards. Sure enough it was Ghost Town. We talked for a good 20-30 minute at the booth along with his friend who was buying some incredible HG books from Bob. Ghost Town is a really friendly guy and I'm glad we met.

I then walked around the show for another hour or so and was getting tired of standing. They should have more chairs or spots to sit for old guys like me. lol

It was also a bit hard to go to the show alone. It would be more fun with a friend but I was on a mission. I went back to the comic section and walked around some more and time was running short before I had to head back to my hotel and get to La Guardia Airport to head home on my 9:30pm flight.

So, I had my last walk, went back to Greg and we finalized our deal on my IM 2 9.2 which I love. I gave back the pass to Greg and thanked him and his wife for the great experience.

I leave and get into a cab and I text Comicdey about the show and that I didn't find an Iron man 1 9.2 at the show. He writes me back that Near Mint has one for sale on the boards. Low and behold...He sure does. :acclaim:

Big thanks to Collin for telling me about the sales thread!

I was amazed that among that whole show not one Iron Man slab below 9.6 was there but now I could get it on the boards while leaving the con. Too funny.

Again, a big thank you to Greg Reece for the generosity and for being such a nice guy! I had a great week and it ended perfectly with NYCC. :cloud9:

So here is my new Iron Man 1.

ironman1.jpg

Great report Marc! And love the panorama shots as well! THX for posting all of this! :headbang:

Got to make it to this Con some day...

Thanks for the pics....

Enjoy the new additions to your collection!!

Jeff

No problem guys! Glad I could post them and everyone likes them!

Great report and appreciate the wall photos. Next year, PM me and I'm gonna send you a new camera! After squinting through enlargements, I've got Doc Joe on a mission to one of the booths to check on the quality of a couple of books I saw. :wishluck:

lol

My iphone camera is good but I don't let it focus before snapping photos. I was doing it fast and should have taken more time with my photo quality.

Send the camera though...I love electronics!

And good luck with the book

I saw a bunch of boardies, Roy was the only one I said hello to.

He had a mixture of horror, confusion, and contempt on his face; it was odd. I didn't say hello to anyone else after that. :lol:

Did he have a sock full of nickels?

He should have used them.

Just sayin.....,

:cool:

It would have been friendlier.

Part 1

When I found out the date of NYCC this year I knew I had a mission. A mission to plan a business trip around that week so I could go to the show and not have to be away from my family any longer than I had to. I travel often for work so staying longer and missing my son's game tonight wouldnt be good.

So, I had to plan to get to the first day on Thursday and then fly home that night.

My plans were set in motion and it worked out great aligning with my work travel schedule. I had a business meeting in NYC on Tuesday and then in CT on Wednesday. I could take Thursday off and travel home that night. PERFECT.

So by the time I get all of this worked out. I go to get tickets and the website said sold out. Only Friday was available as a single day. My goal of going was fading away.

Meanwhile....I'm buying a book online from Greg Reece (that IM 2 9.2) and I mention to Greg that I can't find a ticket for Thursday only and if he knows anyone who will sell me one, i'd gladly pay.

Greg was incredibly nice and offered to give me a pass for Thursday only. He needed it for the other days but just Thursday he could hook me up.

I WAS BACK IN!

A HUGE thank you to Greg Reece for being so gracious.

My trip to NYC and work meetings went well in CT and then I was basically free Thursday from work. I just had a few calls in the morning and Greg said to meet him around 1:30. I got to the entrance and was immediately impressed with the sheer size of the place. I've been to cons before but this was massive. My eyes must have been like a kid in a candy store. Greg was talking to me and as we are walking into the hall I'm overwhelmed with dealer booth after dealer booth and i'm in there before most of the public. IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING? :banana:

Part 2 coming up soon....

Part 2

Greg was awesome to provide me with the pass for the day, he checked out a book I was trading in and then he said....have fun at the show. Before I could go I had to check out his books. Greg has a beautiful TOS 39 9.2 white pages that is to die for. I was drooling looking at it. I should have snapped some photos. Greg's booth was chock full of incredible raw and slab books. I could have a field day just at this one booth. (tsk) I wish I could just buy all of it up but I have to be strong and focused. I still had to pay him for the IM 2 9.2.

So, i'm free to walk the convention hall while everyone is still setting up and preparing for the crowds to come in at 3pm. I have a little over an hour to shop before mostly everyone else. :o At this moment I realize I can do some serious damage to my bank account. :sick: I had to set some limits for myself and keep myself focused because with all these amazing books in sight and my love for most of them....well that could be a lethal combo.

I decided to focus on getting an Iron Man 1 9.2 or 9.4 (prefer 9.2), Avengers 71 and a few other TOS that I want to upgrade.

After Greg's booth I went to Blazing Bob Storms. What a great guy. His books were also amazing. He had a JIM 89 8.0 that I wanted badly and the price was right but I wanted that IM 1....couldnt spend the cash until I hunted it down. But, I did find the Avengers 71. I've always loved The Invaders books from the 70s so this was cool to get. We made a deal, chatted a bit and I was off to others.

Next stop was Vintage Comics. They were furiously setting up and I introduced myself to Roy. He was very nice but definitely focused on the task of getting set up so we didnt chat long. I also met Adam (Filter81) and Gator briefly. Nice guys. What can I say about their books? Insane. Incredible. Beyond my wallet at this time. :(

Then I was off to Dale Roberts. More amazing books. He was busy with some folks so we didnt chat but I checked out his stock and again...more incredible books. But, not the books I wanted.

I then made my way to Graham Cracker comics (Jamie) and we had a nice talk. I know I had some differences with Jamie in the past but after communicating with him and working it out....Jamie couldnt have been nicer. I'm glad we worked things out. I don't like conflicts with people and i'm glad he and I could be friendly. His stock was also amazing. Lots of GA books with a nice smattering of SA books. Again, no IM 1 9.2 or 9.4. So I continue shopping.

I'll shorten this up a bit. I went to all the other dealers, Four color, TV, Harley Yee, Metro, Heritage, Superworld, Heroes, etc...nobody had a CGC Iron Man 9.2 or 9.4. I'm getting bummed because that was my focus and just didn't want to spend my money on something else.

I found myself back at Bob Storms and I heard one of the guys say the name Barton. So I asked if they were from the boards. Sure enough it was Ghost Town. We talked for a good 20-30 minute at the booth along with his friend who was buying some incredible HG books from Bob. Ghost Town is a really friendly guy and I'm glad we met.

I then walked around the show for another hour or so and was getting tired of standing. They should have more chairs or spots to sit for old guys like me. lol

It was also a bit hard to go to the show alone. It would be more fun with a friend but I was on a mission. I went back to the comic section and walked around some more and time was running short before I had to head back to my hotel and get to La Guardia Airport to head home on my 9:30pm flight.

So, I had my last walk, went back to Greg and we finalized our deal on my IM 2 9.2 which I love. I gave back the pass to Greg and thanked him and his wife for the great experience.

I leave and get into a cab and I text Comicdey about the show and that I didn't find an Iron man 1 9.2 at the show. He writes me back that Near Mint has one for sale on the boards. Low and behold...He sure does. :acclaim:

Big thanks to Collin for telling me about the sales thread!

I was amazed that among that whole show not one Iron Man slab below 9.6 was there but now I could get it on the boards while leaving the con. Too funny.

Again, a big thank you to Greg Reece for the generosity and for being such a nice guy! I had a great week and it ended perfectly with NYCC. :cloud9:

So here is my new Iron Man 1.

ironman1.jpg

Pretty book! I love the colors on this book. I miss my own 9.2 wp Western Penn copy that I sold years ago to Aussie Russ.

He had a mixture of horror, confusion, and contempt on his face; it was odd. I didn't say hello to anyone else after that. :lol:

Mike, sorry I missed you. Would have been nice to meet.

And, I saw that same look on Roy's face...we talked a little but they were trying to get set up and I didn't want to be a pain to try and bother them.

Pics coming shortly

Set up was initially a little complicated as the 3 of us tried to work out the finer details for the first time. I was probably lost in thought as I don't multitask well so sorry if I came across as...distant. By the time the show opened up we had it down and things went as smooth as silk.

:foryou:

Except for the time when a dealer walked away with one of GAtor's Showcase #4's and we thought it was stolen.

doh!

Mike, sorry I missed you. Would have been nice to meet.

And, I saw that same look on Roy's face...we talked a little but they were trying to get set up and I didn't want to be a pain to try and bother them.

Pics coming shortly

Set up was initially a little complicated as the 3 of us tried to work out the finer details for the first time. I was probably lost in thought as I don't multitask well so sorry if I came across as...distant. By the time the show opened up we had it down and things went as smooth as silk.

:foryou:

Except for the time when a dealer walked away with one of GAtor's Showcase #4's and we thought it was stolen.

doh!

It was nice to meet you Roy. I knew you guys were busy and would be hard to sit and talk a while. Hope the show was profitable for you.