• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic fortress

30 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I saw that Ankur had a book in on one of these and I also saw an add on the back of a 90s comic. But I can not find them for sale on the Internet. Are they no longer available? Are they any good? They look impenetrable but hard to open and mega bulky. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Jake

They don't manufacture them anymore.

If you are looking to purchase some of them your best bet is placing a WTB thread on the boards here.

The only ebay link I could find is right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Silver-Age-Current-Comic-Storage-Fortress-Hard-Case-/190736456462?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c68c75b0e

Hi guys

I saw that Ankur had a book in on one of these and I also saw an add on the back of a 90s comic. But I can not find them for sale on the Internet. Are they no longer available? Are they any good? They look impenetrable but hard to open and mega bulky. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Jake

I keep my most important comics in them. (thumbs u

Rifleman10.jpg

These usually came with fancy pouches to slide them into and protect them from being scratched. Although I've seen quite a few without. I think what would work just as well though is like a scratch-guard static-cling type of film that they sell for phones.

Hi guys

Sincerely

Jake

I keep my most important comics in them. (thumbs u

Rifleman10.jpg

:roflmao:

i have 3 and to be honest, while I have no plan to sell them, the only time I use any of the 3 is whenever I want to show off the book(s) to non collectors that have no idea how to handle a comic book. Other than that, I no longer keep any of my books in them because I enjoy flipping thru them too often.

If you plan to buy them, be careful in indicating Golden age if you want to use for Golden age book. Even when I did that, 2 of 3 times I bought the fortress, I ended up with Silver Age fortress that wasn't designed to fit the larger book. I had to manually cut the boards and sanded them down to fit GA books.

I was thinking of getting some as I have a tenedency to over handle my books and take them out of their Mylars to browse. So having them sealed up would dissuade me from doing this.

I was also thinking of having my framer knock up some museum quality frames that I can slot them into. But these are all just ideas at this stage.

I have probably a dozen of them and all are in use. They are not nearly as thick as CGC slabs for golden age so much easier to store.

The thing about the little desicants is funny. Many people think those last forever. They dont. All of the fortress books in my collection are in the safe deposit box (they fit very comfortably), with a large desicant container in the box itself. This keeps every comic and other valuable dry.

They stopped making them due to the cost involved I beleive. But they do truly rock, and were the gold standard for big time books before CGC came into the picture.

Here are two of my books which are housed in Fortresses.

142svht.jpg