• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC - Not ready for prime-time (Lance are you out there?)

95 posts in this topic

It sounds like NYCC has simply outgrown the Javitz.

Thus, expect either a different venue and/or increased prices. Increased dealer booth prices to increase size of aisles. Increased show pass price to reduce the number of attendees.

Wasn't there a thread that discussed the logistics last year?

The problem being that unless the new Convention Center out in Queens is ever built, the Javits is , by far, the biggest space in NY, or the surrounding area.

Unless they want to move the NYCC to Las Vegas, there isn't much they can do.

I don't know of a bigger venue nearby. I think the main problems are they don't use their heads when they plan things. That and the fact there is so much construction around the area. That will eventually be completed. The planning however, needs to be better and I don't know if the current management realizes this or even cares. They sell too many tickets, that was obvious especially on Saturday. So either they make it a longer show, limit tickets sales per day, or get rid of the space-eaters (like the new Chevy's taking up like 10% of one showroom floor) and move ALL autographs and sketches to a designated area, not at individual tables scattered throughout the showroom floor. I think SDCC does this, but maybe not?

Thus, expect either a different venue and/or increased prices. Increased dealer booth prices to increase size of aisles. Increased show pass price to reduce the number of attendees.

The problem being that unless the new Convention Center out in Queens is ever built, the Javits is , by far, the biggest space in NY, or the surrounding area.

Totally agree with this (thumbs u

It'll get there one day, this is just growing pains.

Anyone remember the 1st one? They had one room, and dealers couldn't get back in when they left the building because the fire department only allowed a certain number of people in at one time. Many of us thought that was the end, at the beginning. They got past that, and it's grown tremendously since, but they haven't kept up with the growth, specifically how to deal with the crowds. But I do have faith that it will get there in a few years, when the transit is complete and the area has services near the convention hall (restaurants and better parking facilities). I may sound a little negative, but believe me I'm hopeful :wishluck:

just be like the jets/giants, move the whole thing to New Jersey and still call it 'New York'.

It sounds like most will trade an extra 40 minutes of commute (and 10$ or more) for some better planning, more space, more cheaper parking, less crowdedness, more food in the area, cheaper hotels, easier walks, etc. If the goal is to truly make it the 'biggest' comic con, it just seems like the most crowded city in city in america with the most valuable real estate may not be the best place for it. Maybe move it to Long Island a little later in Fall (but still before winter) if there is a place big enough. But otherwise its pretty hard to find anywhere near Manhattan to grow.

I'm not sure why you keep referring to the Javits Center as a work in progress. While it is undergoing some renovations, its been there since the mid 1980s, at least.

You're kidding right? lol

They are adding new areas all the time. The area where artists alley is new.

No - that's where they had the celebrity signings last year.

Totally agree with this (thumbs u

It'll get there one day, this is just growing pains.

Anyone remember the 1st one? They had one room, and dealers couldn't get back in when they left the building because the fire department only allowed a certain number of people in at one time. Many of us thought that was the end, at the beginning. They got past that, and it's grown tremendously since, but they haven't kept up with the growth, specifically how to deal with the crowds. But I do have faith that it will get there in a few years, when the transit is complete and the area has services near the convention hall (restaurants and better parking facilities). I may sound a little negative, but believe me I'm hopeful :wishluck:

There are no restaurants or parking garages coming. The Javits is over twenty years old and no eatery has ever made it near there. Most of the surrounding area isn't even zoned for it.

Clyde Frazier just opened a huge place on Tenth Avenue, but I doubt it will survive.

Nor do I think there will be any more parking garages built. The mayor is very anti- car and the fact of the matter is the Convention Center is empty far too often to make it economical for anyone to builld a lot that would be empty 70% of the year.

For those wishing that gaming and anime get their own shows- be very careful.

Vintage comics appear to be the least popular part of the show and if any part is trimmed, don't be surprised if thats the direction they go.

Have you been to the area where the Highline is? It's been built up tremendously over the past few years. That was a waste-land like where the Javits is. I believe that once they complete the subway extension to this area, that apartments will be built, and the rest will start to fill in. NY Real Estate is too valuable to let this remain the bastion of flat-tire repairs and taxi garages. Just you wait and see.

To continue where I left off, the escalators - who ever thought three banks of up and down escalators could serve the massive pulse of people going into and out of the convention. Sure, there are other banks of escalators down at the South end of the convention hall, but you have to transverse the entire verandah to get to them, and they let out into another hallway leading to yet another bottle-neck. They really need to add stairways or even escalators.

Those escalators are the worst part of the show.

After multiple years at this show, I finally found stairs that led out of the dealer area. Unfortunately, I don't think you can use them to get in. But I could be wrong about that.

That said, I thought the dealer area had more breathing room than past years. It was nice to look at books without getting continually jostled.

This was my exact thought on Saturday.

Maybe they should put it in Madison Square Garden or the new arena in Brooklyn.

Javits has many times the footage of either of those arena.

Have you been to the area where the Highline is? It's been built up tremendously over the past few years. That was a waste-land like where the Javits is. I believe that once they complete the subway extension to this area, that apartments will be built, and the rest will start to fill in. NY Real Estate is too valuable to let this remain the bastion of flat-tire repairs and taxi garages. Just you wait and see.

This is where they wanted to build the football stadium a few years back.

Remember that fiasco?

If you want to say that in twenty years, the area might be built up, I might agree. Not much before hand.

They successfully built up the West Side in the fifties and sixties without a subway, but those projects were done in a different era than today.

I remember that was a fiasco because no one but Bloomberg really thought it was a good idea to put a football stadium right smack in the middle of the city. Everyone I talked to thought it was nuts. We also though a mayor passing a law so he could serve a third term was crazy too, but I guess he got that one through. I don't know anyone who thought that football stadium over the west side yard was a good idea. Now it's destined to be apartments I believe. I don't think it's going to take anywhere near 20 years to get done. Look at Brooklyn Bridge Park and that area how fast it's changing.

You either need to walk like the others have said a little south to catch a cab, or if you park pay $60 to be close to the Javitts center. It's a pain when you have stuff to haul with you plus the added restraint that NYCC does not allow you to have rolling items on he show floor.

Whoah. Wait. Parking is $60?!?

$120 if you have a van.

You either need to walk like the others have said a little south to catch a cab, or if you park pay $60 to be close to the Javitts center. It's a pain when you have stuff to haul with you plus the added restraint that NYCC does not allow you to have rolling items on he show floor.

$120 if you have a van.

parking for 60 is par for the course in manhattan, and in many cases that is a GREAT price (although I'm not too familiar with that area). its actually a very small, very crowded island, and bloomy likes to discourage driving

$120 if you have a van.

parking for 60 is par for the course in manhattan, and in many cases that is a GREAT price (although I'm not too familiar with that area). its actually a very small, very crowded island, and bloomy likes to discourage driving

TBH, the $60 I paid to park across the street from Javits was the best deal I got all weekend. With 3 passengers, the bus fare alone would have been more. Sure, gas and tolls add to that, but the convenience of literally walking out of the con and across the street to my car, making a right out of the lot, onto 11th ave, right turn on 40th, straight into the tunnel. I got home in less than a half-hour.

I think I was able to get a spot so close, because people thought the lots there would be too expensive and I even saw people drive away when they found out how much it was, likely only to find that all the lots in the area were charging that or close to it. All-in-all, $60 wasn't that bad (in NYC terms) for the location and convenience.

This is another reason why I think Javits' location is ideal, if they build a parking facility to serve it and the surrounding area, with ramps that lead to and from the Lincoln Tunnel. Like the buses have at the PABT. And my bud from Long Island only had to drive straight across town on 40th to get into the Midtown Tunnel. It's strategically located between the two tunnels, albeit closer to the Lincoln (Jersey) Tunnel.

Bloomy may like to discourage driving within the city, but he's not adverse to parking a car (a nice imported luxury sedan at that) in a parking garage, as long as you use public transportation when you get here. I hear he takes the subway all the time lol right

One year I parked for free down the block from the Javits.

Now, I simply take the train. I did not think it was a smart idea to park as I could easily be robbed on the way to the car whereas I find it easier to blend in and disappear into the subway or a cab.

One year I parked for free down the block from the Javits.

Now, I simply take the train. I did not think it was a smart idea to park as I could easily be robbed on the way to the car whereas I find it easier to blend in and disappear into the subway or a cab.

Holy smokes! How dangerous is this venue/city???