• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a confessed comic book thief be allowed to continue selling on Ebay?

71 posts in this topic

What a dope. Be so much easier and effective to put him on a chain gang for a few months. Get his mind straight and end the nonsense.

There was big chain of stores in Minneapolis area, Shinders, that an employee robbed over $200,000 over time. I think I recall they got like $40,000 back when the cops raided his apartment. The rest the owner was out of luck.

Appears that stealing in this country is becoming a slap on the wrist offense. When people begin to smarten up and dish out serious beat downs/ taking the law into their own hands to ones who rob them of possessions, eventually ABDW could become a stand in the corner type offense. :wishluck:

As some may have picked up in the Silver Age forum, a part-time employee of Comic Book World in Kentucky was systematically stealing books from the store and ended up selling them on ebay and Heritage. The books were stored in a secure area in the back open solely to employees. CBW caught on when one of the pre-hero crew called up to see about a purchase. To date, CBW can document $20,000 worth of stolen books the guy sold. KorvacSaga and Mysterio were two of the folks who bought the books and returned them to CBW.

The ebay account they bought the books from blamed the sale of stolen goods on his being scammed. Unfortunately, he wasn't scammed, he was the thief.

Even now, the guy continues to sell on ebay even though the Florence police have a confession and he is awaiting trial for sentencing. It is likely that many of the collectible cards he sells are stolen from CBW. Who knows about the other items he has for sale.

This is the guy's ebay account:

gargux

My question to the community is, given all the efforts to get crooks like dupcack out of the industry, is it worth a concerted effort to get this felon sent off to his just rewards?

Thanks for the heads up. I had one of his auctions on my watch list.

Appears that stealing in this country is becoming a slap on the wrist offense. When people begin to smarten up and dish out serious beat downs/ taking the law into their own hands to ones who rob them of possessions, eventually ABDW could become a stand in the corner type offense. :wishluck:

It's sad but true - and the problem is not specific to the U.S. When I got scammed back in Feb, I posted the details of this individual and a few people messaged me during that time, volunteering to take care of things in an "old school" fashion.

I neither condone or encourage that kind of behaviour, but it's pretty telling when a complete stranger offers to take care of business the "old school" way on another persons behalf just because the idea of scammers perpetrating fraud repulses them. I can't begin to imagine what they would do if they were the ones being scammed.

It's sad but true - and the problem is not specific to the U.S. When I got scammed back in Feb, I posted the details of this individual and a few people messaged me during that time, volunteering to take care of things in an "old school" fashion.

I neither condone or encourage that kind of behaviour, but it's pretty telling when a complete stranger offers to take care of business the "old school" way on another persons behalf just because the idea of scammers perpetrating fraud repulses them. I can't begin to imagine what they would do if they were the ones being scammed.

(worship)

An update for everyone.

The perp had his day in court. He was sentenced to a 6-month suspended sentence and two years probation. Comic Book World got back around $17k in merchandise and the perp's father paid another $16-17k for the items that were sold. That included the MGTC cards he was selling on ebay. There is an unknown amount of additional missing merchandise but who knows if he stole it or if someone shoplifted it. Regardless, justice was surprisingly swift thanks to Detective Pat Cunningham of the Florence Police Department. Given what Greg Reece got out of his situation, I think the good guys won hands down on this one.

But in a shocking display of cajones, the guy is back selling MGTC on ebay.

Gargux the Felon Appearing on Ebay

I don't think it shocking at all that the guy is back on eBay, but I am surprised at anyone thinking eBay would lift a finger to do something other than collect their fees. And if they banned the guy's main account he'd do what so many other comic book thieves on eBay do - he'd just get another account.

It was good to hear that he was actually prosecuted and received a decent sentence. If he violates conditions of his probation and/or commits another crime, the suspended sentence would come into play with him serving that six-months plus whatever additional time was imposed.

It is so very frustrating to have the DA not prosecute a case - my sympathies to Greg for having to experience this firsthand. Crime victims get screwed all the time, which is a miserably sad statement about the dwindling justice system in this country.

Where I live, I've had felony cases dropped because the DA's office here will only prosecute certain crimes and only repeat offenders, or the charges get stacked at a later date after an offender has committed more crimes. This is a problem faced by many states, counties, and municipalities. Budget cuts here have wreaked havoc on prosecutions and the jails.

The DAs in this area work their azzes off and aren't afraid to take on a case. Their case loads are so great that they are forced into a choice of evils in terms of deciding which cases to plea out/reduce and which to pursue. The DA's office has the final word on who gets prosecuted and who doesn't. Complaining to the state or the bar is likely going to get you nowhere fast.

I'm not entirely sure of the particulars of Greg's case, but if it a state level prosecution he might want to check with the city prosecutor to see if they'd be interested in it. Sometimes you can get better results with the city than the state court system.

Someone brought up the feds taking on a theft case like this because of the interstate transport or goods and money. The feds will only touch big cases, like the Bill Mastro case or something similar.