• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding purchasing CGC graded books?

18 posts in this topic

Hi All (new to the forums)

I have a question regarding purchasing CGC graded books. When purchasing CGC should the date of the grading be considered?

IE- More recent gradings are more "reliable" (valuable?) then older gradings. Especially when dealing with high graded books?

Or does it not matter as long as the encasement is sealed?

Unless you are hoping to buy a book , deslab it,and resubmit it in hope of a higher grade, the short answer is no.

Thank you.

I was not sure if a 9.8, 9.9, 10 book graded yesterday (for the sake of argument) would be a more reliable grade then a book graded ten years ago.

Not that the grading standard changed, but that within the ten years (once again for argument sake) anything could have happened.

Being new to CGC and encased books, I though recent grading might be more reliable to the current state of the book.

CGC's encapsulation is designed to guard against any change (damage/reduction) in grade. So a comic book being graded six years ago shouldn't matter.

Only other advice I would offer is to make sure the book suits you and your tastes. On the boards here for instance you will find collectors talking about miswraps. That is where part of the back cover is showing on the front along the spine. Typically a white area. I don't mind it as long as it is less 1/4" or less, but some collectors hate any miswrap at all. . CGC doesn't consider it a defect - or if they do it's still allowed in grades as high as 9.8, So again, look at the book and make sure you'll be happy owning it.

Welcome to the boards

CGC's encapsulation is designed to guard against any change (damage/reduction) in grade. So a comic book being graded six years ago shouldn't matter.

Something I have recently read is that CGC recommends that after 7-8 years a book is submitted for reholding. If encapsulation is designed to guard against any changes why would this be recommended?

Something I have recently read is that CGC recommends that after 7-8 years a book is submitted for reholding. If encapsulation is designed to guard against any changes why would this be recommended?

To replace the micro chamber paper.

Thank you, but I think this where I am getting confused (please be patient with me I am still learning many of the in's and out's of CGC books)

If I understand correctly the micro chamber paper provides additional protection to the book (at least that's what CGC claims). Now if the micro chamber paper is recommended to be regularly changed (every 7-8 years) wouldn't neglecting to change the micro chamber paper eventually stop providing the additional protection, which could possible hurt the integrity of the book?

I apologies if I am over thinking this.

Do they offer a free resub (less shipping charges)? Seems like they should for the prices they charge.

Thank you, but I think this where I am getting confused (please be patient with me I am still learning many of the in's and out's of CGC books)

If I understand correctly the micro chamber paper provides additional protection to the book (at least that's what CGC claims). Now if the micro chamber paper is recommended to be regularly changed (every 7-8 years) wouldn't neglecting to change the micro chamber paper eventually stop providing the additional protection, which could possible hurt the integrity of the book?

I apologies if I am over thinking this.

I believe the microchamber paper negates the effects of off gassing, CGC just recommend that it's replaced every 7 years or so to maintain its effectiveness.

Do they offer a free resub (less shipping charges)? Seems like they should for the prices they charge.

No they don't. It's $11 for the reholder service, or at least it was before I disappeared for ages, it could have gone up by now.

No they don't. It's $11 for the reholder service, or at least it was before I disappeared for ages, it could have gone up by now.

It actually looks like it went slightly up to $12 per book.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

One of the books I have recently purchased was last graded in 2005. I am trying to decided if I should send it in for reholding since it is approaching the 7-8 year mark. Even though I just purchased the book.

It actually looks like it went slightly up to $12 per book.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

One of the books I have recently purchased was last graded in 2005. I am trying to decided if I should send it in for reholding since it is approaching the 7-8 year mark. Even though I just purchased the book.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. And I may need correcting here, but I think it has been known for some books to be downgraded when submitted for reholdering. That will need clarifying though so please don't take it as gospel just yet.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. And I may need correcting here, but I think it has been known for some books to be downgraded when submitted for reholdering. That will need clarifying though so please don't take it as gospel just yet.

and this goes back to my original question on whether or not it is more desirable to buy a book that has a more recent grade date verses an older date.

I know that CGC has only been around since 2000, but I could see how eventually buyers might say, "yeah that book was graded 9.9, 10 but that was 20-30 years ago".

Now if there is a chance that a book graded and encased from 2005 could receive a lower review today, I thought that possibility would either effect the pricing or the desirability.

If there are any members that sent their books in for reholding would you please mind sharing your experiences.

There's no scientific data to support that micro-chamber paper only lasts 7 years - it's an arbitrary number, picked by CGC, and the data that is out there actually says the MCP will most likely remain active for decades.

Unless you enjoy flushing money down to the toilet, I'd never send a book in for a reholder after 7 years.

There's no scientific data to support that micro-chamber paper only lasts 7 years - it's an arbitrary number, picked by CGC, and the data that is out there actually says the MCP will most likely remain active for decades.

Unless you enjoy flushing money down to the toilet, I'd never send a book in for a reholder after 7 years.

This is the answer you seek.

Don't worry about reslabbing unless the book has been stored under harsh conditions.

Books can change in grade while in a holder but that is generally because the book was mishandled or stored under adverse conditions.

CGC tested the micro chamber paper to about 7 years and called that the magic number. There is no real evidence to show that it deteriorates at year 8.

Grading standards are more or less the same from the beginning to present but because graders are human there may be some variance from time to time - I wouldn't say that old labels are better or worse than new ones. There is no evidence to support this.

Only other advice I would offer is to make sure the book suits you and your tastes. On the boards here for instance you will find collectors talking about miswraps. That is where part of the back cover is showing on the front along the spine. Typically a white area. I don't mind it as long as it is less 1/4" or less, but some collectors hate any miswrap at all. . CGC doesn't consider it a defect - or if they do it's still allowed in grades as high as 9.8, So again, look at the book and make sure you'll be happy owning it.

Welcome to the boards

And if you like restored books that are in blue label holders.Tony here can direct you to PGX.He seems to know Daniel pretty well,maybe he can get you a discount.