• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red modern label vs blue

29 posts in this topic

for the modern cgc comics would you rather have the red(old label) or the blue? imo i would rather have the red because 10 years down the road they will all be blue with few from the very begining that are red.now i know some people could care less,but all my red 9.8s seem to look better than the blue 9.8s and seem to have been graded tougher.anybody have any thoughts on this? tongue.gif

Are you sure that you would want a red label ten years down the road?

CGC have stated publically that their holders will only preserve a book for 7 years. shocked.gif

So a ten year old red modern label will be a sign of a book that is in decline.

I've only ever bought 2 red label books. One was an ASM 150 that was CGC 9.4, that I sent back in and got a 9.8 on. And the other is an ASM 239 CGC 9.4, that IMO they are just nuts. I'd send it in but I don't really care since the book itself is worth less then the grading would cost, it's easily a 9.8 as well.

Brian

Brian -

Did you crack them open and send, or did you send them in for re-slabbing and they graded it as well?

I have some "red books" I thought were higher than they were graded and may send them in.

Chris

Wow you CAN comprehend, I didn't realize that you could not only read but also understand what you were reading!

Congratulations!

Btw this is the exact attitude that causes ghost books on the CGC census. You send in the book, the graders don't even see the label. They don't even take it into consideration.

Brian

Yeah, but I would have thought that they wouldn't admit such an inconsistency. If this isn't the case, then my hat goes off to their honesty.

That was my point as well......but murph0's been stuck in stupid smartass mode since 1977 and missed it. It's hard to believe they wouldn't even look at the old label or notes for the book. confused.gif

I just figured ghost books on the census were caused by people cracking them out of the slabs and re-submitting them for grading as a different book.

They admit nothing, someone cracks it open and then someone else grades it. As far as I can tell they know nothing of any label other then the billing department charges you less. This was posted before that a previous grade has ZERO bearing on a possible regrade.

Brian

LMAO no i mean how do you just open it if you want to resumit the comic.is there a special way or do you just pull the opening on the side,because i have a lot of red labels that i think should be higher than what they are graded.i wonder if there is anybody out there that could open it without breaking the corners.they could make a lot of money if they could. grin.gif

Hate to say this but I have to agree with Bugaboo. I'm stunned that they would remove a book from a 9.4 case and regrade it as 9.8. Clearly the people who graded the book did not know it was originally a 9.4 or this would not have happened.

No, what happened is they were far too strict on the books early on. So people complained, and they loosened up some.

The whole "it'll get the same grade" myth is the key reason why I was asking CGC to do something else to try to increase people resubmitting with the slab rather then just cracking it out and starting over. That's what is going to end up making the census very hard to use.

Brian