• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There should be a law against selling something before you have it.

50 posts in this topic

Here is the link to my Cerebus #1 CGC 8.5 OW/W that I'm selling before it arrives in the mail.

It's important that folks go take a look at the thread & decide what they think for themselves.

Then we can have a poll in CG about it.

:popcorn:

Define "have it".

This is the point. If you were only allowed to sell things that you had physically in your possession, international trade would be in big difficulty.

Anyone heard of the commodities market? Trading in gold, oil, whatever? As long as you are legally entitled to a thing, you should be allowed to sell it, regardless of whether you actually "have it" in your hands.

Developers can sell houses off plan - why shouldn't they be allowed to do that? Loads of other examples.

I'm okay with it. But anyone offering presales before receiving books back from CGC should also allow for offers pending scans so a potential buyer can see the centering of the book and how a book presents overall.

I can't afford to drop a few hundred dollars on a book, sight unseen. Simple as that. No scan to examine its presentation - something of prime importance to me - then I can't be bothered and just leave the thread immediately. Because I collect Bronze Age I'm confident the book will turn up again sometime. Along with a scan.

I'm not sure I understand the urgency of selling something before you get it, never made much sense to me...unless you buy stuff on credit to flip it, and have to have the funds to pay your credit card bill :shrug:

CGC presales have been commonplace in the forums for years, with one popular seller offering books not yet in hand as their weekly business model.

I was ready to give it a go.

I'm not sure I understand the urgency of selling something before you get it, never made much sense to me...unless you buy stuff on credit to flip it, and have to have the funds to pay your credit card bill :shrug:

CGC presales have been commonplace in the forums for years, with one popular seller offering books not yet in hand as their weekly business model.

I was ready to give it a go.

CVA it!

While not the optimal business practice, I would not ban it. I have purchased books that sellers did not have "in-hand" before and never had an issue.
It's all a matter of preference really, I just like to be able to inspect anything I'm selling before I offer it up.

"Have it", really speaks for itself. You do not "have it" if it is transit or sitting in anothers house, perhaps in a different country than you (the seller) is actually in. It could easily get lost, stolen or damaged. Yet you have already "sold it".

Yes, the obvious thing to do would be to not "buy it", if the seller does not actually have it in hand to scan and to send immediately.

But then, what would we talk about?

Here is the main question. Why sell it before you have it in hand?

Is it, as was suggested by another, because the seller is trying to get the money before he/she actually pays for the book/s? Is it because some people are just "anxious" and can't control themselves? Does it happen because of the old saying, which may be as legitimate as my "why" question.

That being "why not"?

I am curious why it is done. I would never in a million years sell something I did not have in my personal possession (in my hands). But in all honesty, I have agreed to buy a brand new book that is a "pre-order" type thing, because the book is not available yet.

I am not saying that it should be an actual "law". Duh.

I am simply trying to find out the reason (or various reasons) why it is done. I am curious, and when we here are curious about something (anything really), we start a thread about it.

That is how we roll.

Of course some things fit perfectly into selling before you actually have them in hand. Every comic book store does it. But "why" do private citizens on this forum do it? Is the 3 or 4 day difference a real pain in the butt? So much a pain that you can not wait until you actually "have it", before you attempt to "sell it"?

My "guess" is that in most cases on this site, it is just the inability to control ones selve about what you have. You want to just get it out there, because you are proud that you "have it" You just can't wait to let the community know what ya got.

But maybe I am totally off base. Maybe it is about the extra two cents interest you can get from having the money in the bank two days earlier.

Or maybe the seller has a better chance of someone "committing" before they see the book, because it is slightly more difficult to back out of a potential purchase after you have hit the "take it pending scan", than to not hit the "take it" guy in the first place.

So, "why"?

"Have it", really speaks for itself. You do not "have it" if it is transit or sitting in anothers house, perhaps in a different country than you (the seller) is actually in. It could easily get lost, stolen or damaged. Yet you have already "sold it".

Yes, the obvious thing to do would be to not "buy it", if the seller does not actually have it in hand to scan and to send immediately.

But then, what would we talk about?

Here is the main question. Why sell it before you have it in hand?

Is it, as was suggested by another, because the seller is trying to get the money before he/she actually pays for the book/s? Is it because some people are just "anxious" and can't control themselves? Does it happen because of the old saying, which may be as legitimate as my "why" question.

That being "why not"?

I am curious why it is done. I would never in a million years sell something I did not have in my personal possession (in my hands). But in all honesty, I have agreed to buy a brand new book that is a "pre-order" type thing, because the book is not available yet.

I am not saying that it should be an actual "law". Duh.

I am simply trying to find out the reason (or various reasons) why it is done. I am curious, and when we here are curious about something (anything really), we start a thread about it.

That is how we roll.

Of course some things fit perfectly into selling before you actually have them in hand. Every comic book store does it. But "why" do private citizens on this forum do it? Is the 3 or 4 day difference a real pain in the butt? So much a pain that you can not wait until you actually "have it", before you attempt to "sell it"?

My "guess" is that in most cases on this site, it is just the inability to control ones selve about what you have. You want to just get it out there, because you are proud that you "have it" You just can't wait to let the community know what ya got.

But maybe I am totally off base. Maybe it is about the extra two cents interest you can get from having the money in the bank two days earlier.

Or maybe the seller has a better chance of someone "committing" before they see the book, because it is slightly more difficult to back out of a potential purchase after you have hit the "take it pending scan", than to not hit the "take it" guy in the first place.

So, "why"?

That was impressive, and I have contacted Guinness as I believe you've broken the single post record for most times quotation marks were utilized. :applause: